Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I upgrade to Plaid or keep my 2014 P85D w MCU2 and Ludicrous upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's absolutely a concern ... but I'm also concerned about the issues with the rear drive motor potentially failing. Dealing with having Electrified Garage modify it is time that I currently don't have ... and I assume the battery will fail at some point in the next two years.

Having extra range and better autopilot and a warranty are the main (potential) winning factors for me.
I would say throw the numbers down for new battery and new DU I know DU has 4 year 50k miles not sure about battery warranty but I bet it’s substantially less. From what’s I’ve seen build quality is better on the older cars vs what you see in newer cars.

So, after a test drive… IMHO the new car is certainly much nicer in many ways.

The autopilot is much better…

But the $10k trade in offer is insultingly low, and hard to get past psychologically.

Get a competing offer.

And you can always keep the old car with the new car and suffer the financial consequences of emotional fragility ;) /s

Cars are not investments. What matters is wether life lived will be better in the new or in the old one. Cost of living per month should not change if you keep the new car for approximately the same duration going forward. Monthly expense is what matters, not residual.

I was contemplating a new MS last December to transfer my SC01 from my high-mile 2014 85. Tesla offered $8500 trade-in. I sold the car privately for $20000.
Ended up not spending $75K for a new MS, and instead bought a low-mile '16 refresh 75D. It has SC01, so if I'm feeling rich in the future, and Tesla offers transfer, I may jump on it.
My assumption is that when Tesla allows transfer of SC01, the new car gets the non-transferrable option (SC05 or 06?).