Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3 Upgrade: FSD Purchase now or later?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently have EAP so I don’t see a need to upgrade to FSD right now even with the reduced costs. Only reason would be to guarantee that I get HW3 when it comes out.

Do we know if buying FSD now guarantees HW3 upgrade for free in the future?

Or another way to put it, if HW3 comes out and I do not have FSD at that time, do I then I have to pay for HW3 upgrade and FSD in the future?

Decisions, decisions....

Anyone feel free to correct me --but I haven't seen one single post or wording from Elon that specifically says that HW3 hardware is included and you will never have to pull out your wallet again. . He seems to be a semantical wizard and his words are cryptic..

He says "it will come with HW3 upgrade long-term ".. huh? That could be translated a million different ways if you ask me.

Another question is when will you actually get the HW3 into your car. I am not talking about when will the actual Full Self Drive will come out. I am talking about after FSD came out, how long do you have to wait to get the HW3 installed. Is there going to a huge back order for the parts? Look at the carbon fiber spoiler for the P3D... and it is an non-electronic part.

• Love
Reactions: thewishmaster
Anyone feel free to correct me --but I haven't seen one single post or wording from Elon that specifically says that HW3 hardware is included and you will never have to pull out your wallet again. . He seems to be a semantical wizard and his words are cryptic..

He says "it will come with HW3 upgrade long-term ".. huh? That could be translated a million different ways if you ask me.
Been said a few times by Elon that FSD comes with HW3. He’s even said that it’s actually needed for it.

Reactions: Gt1948
Is there any idea how long the 2k upgrade option will last? Is it a limited-time offer or is it likely an EAP-owner would be able to purchase later in the year for 2k?
even if they said it was for a limited time, would you believe them? I think people are crazy if they buy FSD for $2k more at this point. I know if I was a new tesla customer I would buy absolutely nothing at this point.

Elon Musk on Twitter

Screen Shot 2019-03-02 at 11.13.42 AM.png

Agreed - also not sure as others have said that FSD will be materially useful before the M3 is 5Y+ old... by then I’ll likely have a Model Y or whatever the latest EV things is...

And by materially useful I mean where the tech and regs actually mean you can go to sleep and let the car drive you to your destination...

Only thing I would really want right now is summon... very cool party trick and useful in the rain. I would value that feature at $500