Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HWPC inside shed - options for routing cable outside?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all-

I'm looking at potentially installing an HPWC at a seasonal cottage. It will not get used very often. There's a shed where I would bring power out, and I'd like to install the HPWC inside the shed to protect it from the elements.

I'm looking for a good option to cut a hole in the shed wall and allow me to route the cable out when I'm there so I don't have to leave the shed door open, risk someone shutting it on the cord, etc.

Has anyone done something similar to this? Seems like there should be some standard product out there, like a mini-access panel with a small cover that swings shut when it's not in use, where I can route the cable through to the outside when I need it?

Thanks in advance!

Answering my own question ... found this on Amazon which seems like it would work well:
RV Designer B113, Round Electrical Cable Hatch, Deluxe, Replaceable Lid, 5.2 inch Diameter, Black

This detailed installation will be certainly helpful: EVSE Garage Pass-through Instructions

img_9415.jpg

Reactions: sc123 and Akikiki
Thanks! I have just been shutting the garage door on the cord - older automated door that allows just enough room for the cable, but I didn't want to leave it this way. I just hope I have enough room in the very narrow exterior wall there....

I would install the charger where you’re charging the car. If you park the car inside the shed, put it inside. I was given a 1st gen HPWC by a friend, and it had been outside since 2014, in Montana. You wouldn’t know it was ever outside. I installed it in my garage because that’s where I park. But I wouldn’t think twice about an outdoor location. It’s made for it.

Reactions: Akikiki
I like this idea. Avoids the MC/WC being outside permanently where someone could see it, and steal or vandalize it when they are not home. Doesn't draw as much attention to itself as a 20' cable hanging on a hook. MC is easier to replace in the event something appears wrong or not working.