Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Hybrid models have lower injury odds than their conventional counterparts"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to the renowned "Highway loss data institute" (who hasn't heard of them!)

ARLINGTON, VA — Hybrids have a safety edge over their conventional twins when it comes to shielding their occupants from injuries in crashes, new research by the Highway Loss Data Institute (HLDI), an affiliate of the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, shows. On average, the odds of being injured in a crash are 25 percent lower for people in hybrids than people traveling in nonhybrid models.

“Weight is a big factor,” [...]

If hybrid's puny batteries increase the odds by 25% then not having an ICE in your front crumple zone and carrying around a much bigger battery would make the Model-S really safe (except for other motorists and pedestrians, that is).

http://www.iihs.org/news/2011/hldi_news_111711.pdf

Yeah, I just loved how they had to throw in how dangerous EVs are for pedestrians because they're so quiet. This with zero statistics to back it up. We'll get the same stuff about the 17" touch screen.

The 17" screen will be called too distracting and a danger to others when everything from dropped cassette tapes to coffee to arguments with passengers will cause far more accidents even though there are no laws to do away with cassettes/CDs/iPods or coffee while driving.

Don't forget people texting on their cell phones... I think that's probably the biggest one.
What's a cassette tape?
I think the Fisker Karma has little noise making speakers in the bumpers to let pedestrians know it's coming. Perhaps something similar will be available on the Model S? You can always use your horn if they're too dumb or blind to look both ways.

More hybrid vehicles are going to be making noise like the Fisker soon (if they are going under 15 MPH) Starting with the 2012 Lexus CT200h and Prius V.

http://www.thetorquereport.com/2011/08/2012_lexus_ct_200h_lets_you_kn.html

The sound (which is a very sci-fi starship sort of noise) goes up and down in pitch with vehicle speed from 1 MPH to 15 MPH.

This will likely spread to all Toyota / Lexus hybrids in the next few years.

Last edited: