Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hyper-miling, regen, and Neutral

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMAG0062_1.jpg

IMAG0061_1.jpg

Here are some 5 and 15 mile graphs traveling down the Smokey Mountains.

1. Two seconds is a lifetime in an emergency.

2. While there may be a difference, I suspect you would need laboratory grade instruments to measure it.

1. Brakes work in an emergency, even when not using regen. Brakes engage faster than regen. At any rate, this thread is about hypermiling, not safety.

2. I did admit there may not be a great amount of energy to be saved, maybe more than you suspect; but to a hypermiler every Wh counts anyway.

1. Brakes work in an emergency, even when not using regen. Brakes engage faster than regen. At any rate, this thread is about hypermiling, not safety.

No they don't. Regen engages immediately upon lifting your foot. brakes engage later.

2. I did admit there may not be a great amount of energy to be saved, maybe more than you suspect; but to a hypermiler every Wh counts anyway.

I am fairly happy with the Wh/mi I'm getting using safe practices.

After 5 months of coasting down the hill in the morning due to regen being frosted out, I miss all that mandated freewheeling where the accel pedal is useless. Now that its warm I'm forced to use right foot to control speed of descent. OR, just flip it into N and pretend it is winter again. Nice that this can be done without harming or confusing MS system.

I'm a big fan of CC; my regular trip to the city includes an 80 mile stretch that has no stops. Parts of this trip are too tedious for CC but can be done freewheeling. Elsewhere, on the Interstate, there is one looong level exit ramp where freewheeling from 80+ lets you hit the 50 mph sign at just about that speed, headwinds permitting. Such fun letting your right foot relax with this massive low-cd car.
--

No they don't. Regen engages immediately upon lifting your foot. brakes engage later.

I am fairly happy with the Wh/mi I'm getting using safe practices.

Yes they do (brakes engage faster than regen). Regen starts a few 10ths of a second after you release, not immediately. I (and I'll bet the majority of drivers) can swap to the brake much faster. Brakes can also stop the car sooner than regen.
I'm also fine with driving safely. Hypermiling in many cases eschews safety - like over-inflating tires, drafting too close, etc.
However I often use N to release the cruise control smoothly well before an off-ramp, then hit D when I'm ready to slow down more. I can usually press the accelerator just enough to engage D without any jerky motions, it takes a little practice.

Yes they do (brakes engage faster than regen). Regen starts a few 10ths of a second after you release, not immediately. I (and I'll bet the majority of drivers) can swap to the brake much faster. Brakes can also stop the car sooner than regen.
I'm also fine with driving safely. Hypermiling in many cases eschews safety - like over-inflating tires, drafting too close, etc.
However I often use N to release the cruise control smoothly well before an off-ramp, then hit D when I'm ready to slow down more. I can usually press the accelerator just enough to engage D without any jerky motions, it takes a little practice.

I'm willing to bet that regen kicks in when you lift your right foot before you can actuate the brake pedal. Besides, at that point you have friction braking plus up to 60 kW of regen braking...until the ABS kicks in, anyway.

Ok, I was watching the gauge carefully today. If you are near 0 kW draw, Regen does start right away, but ramps up gradually over about 1/4 sec. If you are cruising at 20-30 kW, you can completely release the pedal and return it to the same position without any green on the display; without jarring deceleration. If you do the same exercise but switch over to the brake pedal, you will be able to apply brakes before regen starts. So I was wrong about a delay, but it takes a few 10ths to fully engage.