Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hyperloop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
QUOTE=daveruns;410396]Noticed a web page set up for this on the SpaceX web site. Hyperloop | SpaceX

I'm guessing that this is where the design will appear and that it will have some method for comments, ideas to commercialize. Wonder if this placement is any indicator of the principle technologies?[/QUOTE]

Great find! Now I have to glue one of these to the desktop and make its head hit F5 througout the day :)
drinking-bird-works-o.gif
[

Revealed: Elon Musk Explains the Hyperloop - Businessweek

“I wish I had not mentioned it,” he says. “I still have to run SpaceX and Tesla, and it’s ****ing hard.
:) Classic.

“It is a question of finding the right person and team to get behind it,” Musk says. “Creating a prototype is not that expensive.” But if no one advances or acts on Musk’s ideas, he may come back to the Hyperloop in a few years’ time and pursue it as part of Tesla. “Down the road, I might fund or advise on a Hyperloop project, but right now I can’t take my eye off the ball at either SpaceX or Tesla.”

Inside the tubes, the pods would be mounted on thin skis made out of inconel, a trusted alloy of SpaceX that can withstand high pressure and heat. Air gets pumped through little holes in the skis to make an air cushion, Musk says. The front of the pod would have a pair of air jet inlets—sort of like the Concorde. An electric turbo compressor would compress the air from the nose and route it to the skis and to the cabin. Magnets on the skis, plus an electromagnetic pulse, would give the pod its initial thrust; reboosting motors along the route would keep the pod moving. And: no sonic boom. With warm air inside the tubes and high tailwinds, the pods could travel at high speeds without crossing the sound barrier. “The pod can go just below the speed of sound relative to the air,” Musk says.