Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I am SO sorry -

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AudubonB

One can NOT induce accuracy via precision!
Mar 24, 2013
...for all who are not privileged to be sharing in the caribou stew we're eating this evening.

Whether you are Jeff B, or Warren B, or Bill and Melinda G, or Elon M.....

you are truly unfortunate.

I've made stews for lo these many years, but this new recipe we're trying, plus a little custom tweaking as always -

it's absolutely heavenly.

...for all who are not privileged to be sharing in the caribou stew we're eating this evening.

I've made stews for lo these many years, but this new recipe we're trying, plus a little custom tweaking as always -

Damn, I was feeling pretty privileged just now with my TJ's Carnitas Salsa Verde burrito. But that does sound a tad better.
Cooking rate? Spices? Any help appreciated while I search San Gabriel Valley for some caribou.

I lack your caribou privilege but am enjoying chicken friend antelope from my last hunt and it is pretty dang good.

For Sparky and others interested....

I based the recipe off one from America's Test Kitchens (ATK) (not caribou, naturally).

First, this recipe is for use in a 6 qt. crockpot. As such, it uses 4 lbs. meat. It is important to fill the crockpot full; as such, the 4lb. ratio of meat to all else is spot on.

Saute in 2T oil 3 minced yellow onions with 6 minced garlic cloves, 1t dried thyme and 1/4c tomato paste (I use the tubed paste, as there is no waste nor a 3/4 full can of paste awaiting the next stew...some 2-3 months away, perhaps...
After 8-10 minutes, when onions soft, stir in 1/3c flour. After one minute, slowly whisk in -

1 1/2 c chicken broth (1T chicken base in 1.5c water), to which you've added 1T worcestershire and 1/3c coconut aminos.

===> ATK uses beef broth here. I am extremely particular about my red meat sources, and rarely eat anything other than caribou, moose or bison. Beef broth, especially, is anathema to me....worse than mystery meat. Also, Jenny is on a soy-limited diet, so I have been delighted to discover this product called "coconut aminos", which is a fancy way of marketing the extract of coconut flowers. It is absolutely 100% substitutable for soy sauce in any configuration - we use it all the time for all stir frys, for example. It has a sweetish aftertaste, and has only about 1/3 the sodium of even low-salt soy sauce. Great stuff - it has been available for the past 5 or so months at Trader Joe's at a very satisfactory price. In order to fully round out the complex flavor, I also added the worcestershire sauce. Couldn't be happier with the result.

Into the crockpot with all that, and then add another 1 1/2c broth with 1/2" cubed portobellos (gills removed) and 4 med. bay leaves (or 3 large)

I used 4 lbs of caribou flank steak - lots of integumen (cartilaginous tissue) - great for adding complexity to the broth liquor. If using bison, beef, etc., try flank steak or chuck-eye roast or any other high-cartilage "strong" cut. Elk or venison ought to do splendidly, too. Season with coarse-ground salt & pepper. Add to the crockpot.

Now, take 4-5 carrots, 3 parsnips and 3-4 red potatoes (12 oz.), all scrubbednotpeeled, and cubed into 1" chunks (try to keep 3/4"<cube<1.5"). Toss with 1T oil and wrap in a fairly tight foil packet that you now lay atop rest of ingredients in the crockpot. Keeping these separate diminishes the propensity for all the veggies to dissolve into the stew and diminish their effect.

Cook on high for 6-7 hours. Remove foil packet, set aside, and add 8 oz. chopped kale for another 30 minutes.

Open foil packet and add veggies to pot for a few minutes to heat all thoroughly.

Bon appetit!