Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I appreciate the TMC people

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After I bought my Audi A4 a few years ago I put up some posts on the Audi Forum when I started having some issues with the car. I could not believe the nasty posts I got in response. Basically they were pretty damn mean and telling me if I don't have deep pockets what am I doing buying an Audi. Yikes!

I have to admit the people I have interacted here at TMC are a different lot. Generally very nice and helpful. Definitely appreciate a more informative, laid back attitude.

Thank you all.
The Audi is a German car, isn't it?

I was on a Prius-related board that was very friendly in the early days when most of the members were tree-huggers, but as the car went mainstream the membership also went mainstream and became much less pleasant.
Indeed, Daniel and I met on PriusChat in the good ol' Days. Of course we met because he was helping me tremendously with a modification (and has subsequently helped me with others!) It's great to have smart friends.
And related to some of the comments here about "snippiness" I have to admit that my early experience on this very board was quite poor. When I finally put my deposit down for the 3 on the day of reveal, I jumped in here with gusto to get my bearings and prepare myself for what was to come. I had lots of questions. I posted something in a thread that immediately got lost because it really wasn't a good fit for that thread. So I started s new thread on my particular subject and BAM, a couple of folks just looking for somebody to complain about jumped in not to help in any way, but to inform me that "double posting" was not allowed, and that I was pretty much an idiot for doing so. Just about everything I was involved in got moved to the "snippy" thread. Not a good way to start my TMC career, but I survived and persevered!

I always join a car forum when I buy a car. They have been all helpful and friendly. This is maybe the 16th car forum I have joined because there have been many duplicate brands that I have purchased.

The other day I was playing with the remote controls on my Apple watch at work and I accidentally opened the frunk! I had to go out to my car during my break and close it. LOL.

I always join a car forum when I buy a car. They have been all helpful and friendly. This is maybe the 16th car forum I have joined because there have been many duplicate brands that I have purchased.

The other day I was playing with the remote controls on my Apple watch at work and I accidentally opened the frunk! I had to go out to my car during my break and close it. LOL.
There's an app that allows smartwatches to interface with the Tesla official app and monitor/manage controls via the watch itself?

Indeed, Daniel and I met on PriusChat in the good ol' Days. Of course we met because he was helping me tremendously with a modification (and has subsequently helped me with others!) It's great to have smart friends.
And related to some of the comments here about "snippiness" I have to admit that my early experience on this very board was quite poor. When I finally put my deposit down for the 3 on the day of reveal, I jumped in here with gusto to get my bearings and prepare myself for what was to come. I had lots of questions. I posted something in a thread that immediately got lost because it really wasn't a good fit for that thread. So I started s new thread on my particular subject and BAM, a couple of folks just looking for somebody to complain about jumped in not to help in any way, but to inform me that "double posting" was not allowed, and that I was pretty much an idiot for doing so. Just about everything I was involved in got moved to the "snippy" thread. Not a good way to start my TMC career, but I survived and persevered!

You were an inspiration to me back in those days, and the Prius section of your web site was extremely helpful to me in understanding the car. But I have no memory of helping you with a modification. What was that? Oh, was it the EV switch on the cruise-control stalk? I think I was the first person on that chat board to install that particular version of the switch. (Others installed the button version earlier.)

No Tesla sales in Michigan thanks to the Big Three! They RAN to the Governor to get him to put a stop from Tesla selling cars in Michigan. Talk about being afraid of losing a few sales. Like that would really stop anybody from buying a Tesla if they really wanted one like me! So I had to go to Ohio to get my car, heck, it was fun. The 160 mile ride back from the store was a blast. I hope the new Gov sees the light and allows sales in the State. I don't think there is a single ICE vehicle made 100% in the USA like a Tesla! Go get'em Elon!

You were an inspiration to me back in those days, and the Prius section of your web site was extremely helpful to me in understanding the car. But I have no memory of helping you with a modification. What was that? Oh, was it the EV switch on the cruise-control stalk? I think I was the first person on that chat board to install that particular version of the switch. (Others installed the button version earlier.)
It was figuring out how add a switch for "anytime reverse video" if I recall correctly. Isn't it amusing that Tesla put this rare feature in a prime location on the screen for us?

Check it out! Even even gave you big credit! That page was created in 2006.
Reverse video

It was figuring out how add a switch for "anytime reverse video" if I recall correctly. Isn't it amusing that Tesla put this rare feature in a prime location on the screen for us?

Reverse video

So, the person you credited with that mod was Keydiver. Not me. There, as here, my user name is/was daniel. It's good that you didn't credit me, because I had nothing to do with that. The only mod I ever did myself was the EV switch on the c/c stalk, and I was the first one on Prius Chat to install that. I had the CAN View installed, but did none of the work myself.

I didn't/don't even have a back-up camera on the Prius.

Agreed, that it's very nice to have it on the Model 3. My garage back in Spokane was just barely long enough for the 3, and the camera allowed me to drive in just enough to clear the door. The 3 will be here in about a week, and then I will sell the '04 Prius.

:sigh: This is just ONE of the problems with getting old.

Sorry about the confusion. We can still be friends from way back, right? :)

Oh, yes! Even if the helpfulness only went one way: I learned all about the Prius from your web site, right down to which tires to buy. And one of my big arguments for EVs way back when I was driving the little Zap Xebra was, "I know a guy who has solar on his house and charges his car from the sun."

And I was driving electric even before Tesla began selling cars to the public, which gives us something in common.

I'm new here, but I really like how active this forum is and the people seem friendly (just from the posts I've read). I've been on a bunch of forums myself, and one of the worst was a national smart car forum. The people there were not too friendly (with exceptions) and the mods were terrible (overly restrictive, interfering in civilized adult conversation). Mods can really make or break a forum, and I say that as an experienced Super Moderator myself (on other forums).

I don't even have a Model 3 yet (the object of my desire) but I do have a 2018 LEAF S which some of us jokingly call the Teslight or TesLEAF. :) Either way, this is my first EV (used) and I got a good deal on it as I rebuild my credit. I hope to be in a Model 3 within about a year. :D

Great to be here. Glad people don't seem to mind us Tesla fans or future owners. ;)

Reactions: Pollux
The online Tesla family is super cool. I mean of course you have a proportion of rich, entitled folks who just buy them because they're the cool status symbol, but those folks don't spend time as part of the online community. Everyone here is generally interested in EVs and related tech and helping each other out, even when we don't agree on things.

Hi, @woddisgood,

I hope you are continuing to enjoy your Tesla!

While I recognize that there are rich, entitled folks in many places, maybe I've missed those folks here on TMC. Or maybe it's bias on my part, as I guess some people would put me in an uncomfortable category based on me being on my 4th Tesla. You certainly can find wealthy people on this forum, if you pay attention and read between the lines. But I've just never seen entitled behavior here. I've definitely seen reactions like this: "you're complaining too much, you should just get rid of your Tesla and go buy an ICE"... a reaction that I'm not in favor of. But the entitlement... no. If anything, it seems like I repeatedly encounter sentiments of gratitude and appreciation about one's place.

I see lots and lots of people pitching in to help each other. I see long, detailed analyses and debates. Yes, I also see some dismissiveness and snippiness. But ultimately, for me, this community is one of the rewards of being interested in and involved with Tesla.

Besides thanking the community and the moderators, I would also give a shout-out to the co-founders of TMC who, last time I checked, still couldn't afford to buy Teslas for themselves. They have been working their asses off for this site since the dawn of time. This site is a labor of love, not a labor of return-on-investment. I encourage people to click the Support TMC button!(*)

Alan

(*)I am not affiliated with TMC, I don't get gifts or dollars or benefits from TMC. I've been a member of TMC for some years. I *do* have involvement with an environmental group that raffles off Teslas (five so far, plus two more partials) and we *do* advertise on TMC during our raffles and we *do* have discussion threads that go on during the raffles. I say this in case you might feel that I'm horribly biased when I have the temerity to encourage people to Support TMC. Oh, and I myself am a TMC Supporter.

I'm new here, but I really like how active this forum is and the people seem friendly (just from the posts I've read). I've been on a bunch of forums myself, and one of the worst was a national smart car forum. The people there were not too friendly (with exceptions) and the mods were terrible (overly restrictive, interfering in civilized adult conversation). Mods can really make or break a forum, and I say that as an experienced Super Moderator myself (on other forums).

I don't even have a Model 3 yet (the object of my desire) but I do have a 2018 LEAF S which some of us jokingly call the Teslight or TesLEAF. :) Either way, this is my first EV (used) and I got a good deal on it as I rebuild my credit. I hope to be in a Model 3 within about a year. :D

Great to be here. Glad people don't seem to mind us Tesla fans or future owners. ;)

Hi, @spacepod,

IMHO, a very large fraction of TMC members started out as fans or future owners before becoming owners. For many of us, it was a way to maintain the appearance of self-control while waiting for our vehicles to be delivered. There are people on here who waited for YEARS, not just 2 years like for a Model 3 but 4 or 5 years. Me... maybe two months between finding TMC and joining and another two months between ordering and receiving. And talk about drinking from a firehose! Wow, the stuff I've learned here.

Alan

Reactions: Spacep0d

Reverse video

Regardless of the Keydiver v. Daniel issue, I love the opener for this mod:

Never attempt this activity. You will destroy your car and surely bring death or dismemberment upon yourself, your loved ones and your pets. I offer this information only for academic purposes, and am compelled to warn you that even veiwing it could put you in mortal danger. You assume all risk after reading beyond this line.​