Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I can calculate the list price of the new Tesla "Model 2" will be around $26,000 -- here's why

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
*after potential savings
No, I am calculating the cheque you write (plus destination charges and taxes of course)
Based on $43K for model 3 today, for which they will calculate a list price of $33,500 after tax credits but not after gas/maintenance savings.

For the new car to have a total cost of ownership that is 71% of the expensive car, when the energy costs the same, and the insurance goes down only a little and maintenance doesn't go down much, the list price of the car has to drop to be 60% of the $43K for the model 3 -- around $26K.

If all the factors were to drop the same (which can't happen) you get a $30,500 car -- which would then be $15K "after savings" in California.

I'm calculating that it needs to cost about the same as a nice $25K Toyota Corolla. It also needs to be as desirable as the Corolla.
To get the Corolla for that price you will need to go with one of the lower trim levels.
But don't forget, you will get $7,500 tax credit off the $26K Tesla price, and more state credits.

And it will have a lot of fancy features not in the Corolla, anything Tesla does in software could be in there.

Not necessarily. The Model 3 RWD uses CATL made LFP batteries from China to help reduce cost. Most likely a cheaper model will do the same.
My understanding is the RWDM3 does qualify at present, though in future the Chinese source batteries will not qualify at least for the full credit.
However, it's hard to see how it would be cheaper to use Chinese source batteries than other batteries which qualify for that credit. Too many other battery and materials factories coming online, not just because of these credits.

My understanding is the RWDM3 does qualify at present, though in future the Chinese source batteries will not qualify at least for the full credit.
However, it's hard to see how it would be cheaper to use Chinese source batteries than other batteries which qualify for that credit. Too many other battery and materials factories coming online, not just because of these credits.
We can’t say for sure what the future will hold, but in general anything produced in China is going to be cheaper than the equivalent produced in the US or most other countries.