Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I got HW 4.0 but NO FSD Beta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone done a detailed study on HW4 sentry mode usage? Ie. Does the chip have a lower power mode for sentry?

I think greentheonly had previously posted that max power usage would be higher, but equally think the new cameras had lower usage

If you have HW4 and higher than 23.7.x software you can't get FSD Beta as of now. HW4 requires FSD Beta 11.4.x or higher to work and 23.20.x has FSD Beta 11.3.6. FSD Beta 10.3.x or lower is pre HW4 and doesn't work.

FSD Beta 11.3.6 is considered more stable and is the "general" FSD Beta release.

All HW4 with 23.7.7 or higher will have to wait until 11.4.x or higher is released in a newer software.
Are you saying that no one with HW4 has FSD beta?

That's not true. There are at least 2 people on this board with 11.4.X on HW4 that are not employees.

There's a LOT of disinformation going around about this.
First, AFAIK, HW4 isn't really the problem, it's the ultrasonic sensors.
It was a big problem at the beginning of the year, because the parking assist lines weren't appearing. That was mostly fixed, but there still are a few configurations left behind, Model S and X, from what I've heard.
I believe that once the update came out a few months ago, that those waiting for FSD got it. But it seems as if the software may have forked again.

But the EXTREMELY SIMPLE ANSWER IS

If you don't have it, you don't have it and there's nothing that you can do about it except wait.

Reactions: Ccsdk
It was a big problem at the beginning of the year, because the parking assist lines weren't appearing. That was mostly fixed, but there still are a few configurations left behind, Model S and X, from what I've heard.
I believe that once the update came out a few months ago, that those waiting for FSD got it. But it seems as if the software may have forked again.

If you don't have it, you don't have it and there's nothing that you can do about it except wait.
You've posted this previously, but it's still incorrect.

so will the FSD beta for HW4.0 cars be in the 2023.26.x branch or the 2023.7.x branch,. I saw somewhere that 11.4.5 is out in the wild but it's still in branch 2023.7.x and 2023.26 would still come out with 11.3.x fsd beta?

so will the FSD beta for HW4.0 cars be in the 2023.26.x branch or the 2023.7.x branch,. I saw somewhere that 11.4.5 is out in the wild but it's still in branch 2023.7.x and 2023.26 would still come out with 11.3.x fsd beta?
Depends on your CURRNT software. If you are on 23.7.x or lower then you can get FSD Beta (11.4.x). If your software is higher than 23.7.x then you can NOT get FSD Beta (11.4.x) until Tesla offers 11.4.x or higher FSD Beta in a more current software version. You can NEVER go backwards in software and can only update to newer software.

So in a nutshell for HW4 cars at this time:
Software 23.7.x or lower can get FSD Beta
Software higher than 23.7.x can't get FSD Beta

Last edited:
Reactions: Ccsdk
Depends on your CURRNT software. If you are on 23.7.x or lower then you can get FSD Beta (11.4.x). If your software is higher than 23.7.x then you can NOT get FSD Beta (11.4.x) until Tesla offers 11.4.x or higher FSD Beta in a more current software version. You can NEVER go backwards in software and can only update to newer software.

So in a nutshell for HW4 cars at this time:
Software 23.7.x or lower can get FSD Beta
Software higher than 23.7.x can't get FSD Beta
I am on 23.20.7 at the moment, so unlikely we will get the FSD if 23.7.x comes with 11.4.x FSD version

Absolutely no telling. The preference would be a branch meld.
thanks, I think Tesla should better communicate about this whole versioning thing. I understand now after spending hours on this forum on how different software branches work and the what is the likelyhood of me receiving FSD beta in my HW4.0 car in near future.

But before Tesla accepts a $200 payment they should make it clear the "FSD Beta will not work" on your car for sometime, and i know they mention "some" features will not work, but it's never clearly stated that FSDb will not work

the only reason people are spending money is to try "FSDb". I know people use they are charging about for the fsd capability not fsdb argument and all but i don't think anyone wants to spend $200 just for the capability but no feature.

I have cancelled the FSD subscription for now but i think when I am ready to try again in future, it will be the same issue all over again.

Tesla is charging $200 without refunds as if $200 is nothing.

thanks, I think Tesla should better communicate about this whole versioning thing......

But before Tesla accepts a $200 payment they should make it clear the "FSD Beta will not work" on your car for sometime, and i know they mention "some" features will not work....
Tesla has NEVER been any good at communicating anything. So don't expect this to change especially for this one area.

Also FSD Capability package says NOTHING about getting access to FSD Beta. FSD Beta is NOT part of the FSD Capability package. It is an invite access that Tesla can allow you to use or remove that their discretion.

It is a cluster f on how they implement it but that is the Tesla way and nothing we can do but bitc$ about it and hope they will simplify/unify the code.

Just to add us original FSD Beta testers are ALWAYS left behind in software updates. And now we are placed WAY behind while newbies get FSD Beta access with all the new features of current software. Yet we were there testing the Beta every inch of the way. So there is some "Tesla ain't fair" pain to spread around.

Reactions: Nakk
thanks, I think Tesla should better communicate about this whole versioning thing. I understand now after spending hours on this forum on how different software branches work and the what is the likelyhood of me receiving FSD beta in my HW4.0 car in near future.

But before Tesla accepts a $200 payment they should make it clear the "FSD Beta will not work" on your car for sometime, and i know they mention "some" features will not work, but it's never clearly stated that FSDb will not work

the only reason people are spending money is to try "FSDb". I know people use they are charging about for the fsd capability not fsdb argument and all but i don't think anyone wants to spend $200 just for the capability but no feature.

I have cancelled the FSD subscription for now but i think when I am ready to try again in future, it will be the same issue all over again.

Tesla is charging $200 without refunds as if $200 is nothing.
From what I've heard, if it isn't there, you don't have to pay for it. If you paid and didn't get it, open a service ticket.

This is something that Tesla doesn't want to do but was forced to do by some circumstances out of their control and some in their control. Mostly it was because of a miss in development schedules that they were anticipating.

Because it wasn't expected, they really don't have the controls around it.

From what I've heard, if it isn't there, you don't have to pay for it. If you paid and didn't get it, open a service ticket.

This is something that Tesla doesn't want to do but was forced to do by some circumstances out of their control and some in their control. Mostly it was because of a miss in development schedules that they were anticipating.

Because it wasn't expected, they really don't have the controls around it.
The subscription is for FSD, not FSD Beta. There has been 2 people here that claim to have received a refund, with no proof, but most are told that they are getting what was promised.

With HW4, the only Beta available is with 11.4.X and Tesla is intentionally keeping the 11.4 stack behind an older version. Likely to isolate new comes from getting it, but who knows.

The subscription has never instantly provided Beta outside of a small 2-3 week window in December 2022, but the wording on the subscription has never advertised or promised to do so.

The subscription is for FSD, not FSD Beta. There has been 2 people here that claim to have received a refund, with no proof, but most are told that they are getting what was promised.

With HW4, the only Beta available is with 11.4.X and Tesla is intentionally keeping the 11.4 stack behind an older version. Likely to isolate new comes from getting it, but who knows.

The subscription has never instantly provided Beta outside of a small 2-3 week window in December 2022, but the wording on the subscription has never advertised or promised to do so.
I'm talking about the monthly charges not the full product. I'm not sure why Tesla would not rebate the monthly charge if they weren't able to enable it.

I'm talking about the monthly charges not the full product. I'm not sure why Tesla would not rebate the monthly charge if they weren't able to enable it.
The subscription IS for THE same exact product. The FSD Capability package and NOT FSD Beta. Tesla even clearly states "Autosteer on city streets Coming Soon". Until it changes to an included feature it is NOT included.

Screenshot 2023-07-11 at 10.47.08 AM.png