Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I have pre-paid FSD but Tesla is not releasing the beta to me for years

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if others were in the same situation and have suggestions on how to proceed. I bought 4 used Teslas directly from Tesla, all had FSD, 2 of them got it years ago, the other 2 had the hardware upgraded to 3.0 and have messages stating the FSD will be released in the upcoming software updates, but it does not happen even after the software updates. No FSD beta after owning the cars for nearly 3 years. I've contacted the fsd beta team and only got automated replies. The cars had 90+ safety scores.

Thanks for the details, both cars have MCU1, HW3, and AP3 cameras, does that mean I have to pay for the MCU2 upgrade and then FSD will be sent? if so, I cannot believe how poorly Tesla communicates about this for years.

Perhaps I am reading this incorrectly, but if your cars have FSD (NOT FSD Beta) they have what was sold to you. It sounds like your cars have FSD but you are upset because they do not have FSD Beta and complaining that tesla has not communicated what the requirements for FSD BETA were. Is that the complaint?

" upset because they do not have FSD Beta and complaining that tesla has not communicated what the requirements for FSD BETA were. Is that the complaint?" correct, is that an invalid reason for complaint and being upset? I specifically paid higher price for the cars bc they had FSD prepaid.

Reactions: dthomas658
" upset because they do not have FSD Beta and complaining that tesla has not communicated what the requirements for FSD BETA were. Is that the complaint?" correct, is that an invalid reason for complaint and being upset? I specifically paid higher price for the cars bc they had FSD prepaid.

I am certainly not going to tell someone how they should feel. I will just say that "FSD" and "FSD BETA" are not the same thing, and no one was promised "FSD Beta". Originally it was gated to safety score, then it became gated to "compatible hardware".

If your car(s) have FSD they have what you bought.

Reactions: JB47394
Thanks for the details, both cars have MCU1, HW3, and AP3 cameras, does that mean I have to pay for the MCU2 upgrade and then FSD will be sent? if so, I cannot believe how poorly Tesla communicates about this for years.
Correct. That's Tesla's position.

Some would disagree with that position claiming they paid for FSD already so they don't need to pay extra for MCU2 upgrade to get the current function of FSD. Some still refuse to pay more currently.

If your car(s) have FSD they have what you bought.
Sounds like a reply from a Tesla employee:) I bought FSD alpha, did not get either that or the beta, so which part of FSD did my cars get??? I just wish they would communicate--I probably would have paid for the MCU2 upgrade if I knew, but it's the lack of simple communication with the nearly decade Tesla owner and stock holder what bothers me. I guess this is why some customers just give up...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: dthomas658
For the software to work, you need a minimum of MCU2, HW3, and AP2.5 cameras.
I agree that the MCU2 upgrade is necessary. There was a period when Tesla would provide the upgrade at low or no cost to replace a broken or failing MCU1.

My July 2017 Model S came with Enhanced Autopilot, AP2.0 cameras, HW2 and MCU1. I upgraded to FSD during a “Need cash now!” markdown sale.

A year or two later I paid for the MCU2 upgrade when my MCU1 was getting flaky, but before Tesla had its replacement program. I got the no-charge HW3 computer upgrade at the same time.

In early March 2023 I was finally allowed to schedule a Service appointment for the no-charge camera upgrade. FSDb downloaded the evening of March 31.

Tesla has never provided free mcu2 for falling mcu1 cars. At least officially. There may have been a small number but that doesn’t really count.

Yes, at this time it appears that Tesla is only releasing FSD (beta) to MCU2 cars. I’ve read that they say someday it will be available to MCU1 cars. Until then you either pay for mcu2 or wait until it’s the official release. If Tesla would make the statement that its mcu2 only, those that paid for the mcu2 upgrade would throw a fit.

What's the difference between FSD and FSD Beta?
The best automation Fsd without "Autosteer on City Streets" can do is to stop at every red, yellow, and green traffic lights (with exception of having a lead car to lead it through) while Fsdb with "Autosteer on City Streets" can react to traffic light correctly: can auto go on green, can auto turn at intersections...

As explained by @JB47394 below, FSD and FSDb were old terminologies because Tesla sells only FSD and not FSDb.

However, there are still 2 different FSD versions in circulation:

FSD without "Autosteer on City Streets" for older cars without any 1 of 3 hardware requirements listed on post#2 above.

FSD with "Autosteer on City Streets" for cars that meet 3 of 3 hardware requirements listed on post#2 above.

Last edited:
For a long time, FSD didn't include "Autosteer on City Streets". That's the functionality that was in beta test and was listed on the web site as "Coming Soon". If you visit the web site now, that qualification is gone. I take that to mean that the beta test is officially over; every version of the vehicle software now includes FSD, allowing people who don't own it to at least subscribe to it.

That doesn't mean it works well.

• Helpful
Reactions: frinkle

FSD was the original load of BS that elon mush sold.

FSDb is the current load of BS that elon mush is selling.

Both are inaccurate names, chosen to deliberately confuse as to what one is buying and oversell the cars' capabilities. Both require the owners to have read and fully understand that only the words on the page describing what was bought matter, without adding in any context from other parts of the website, videos released by tesla, or any comments by elon mush or any of his fan boys. If you don't understand that you will be the fool who is parted with her money. I feel damn foolish.

The words on the page of what I bought were "Your vehicle will be able to drive itself almost anywhere with minimal driver intervention and will continuously improve." Then there was a list of things that will become available and while some did come in updates, and they occasionally work in ways that don't make me think my car's name should be Christine, most of the time, I'm convinced the car is out to crash itself. Despite the $$$$$ I paid for FSD, there is a decent chance I will not get those features working as marketed, before the end of the car's lifespan.

The reason for that is the same as OP's issue. The current hardware in my car is not likely capable of true driving automation above level 2. And I will never give elon mush or tesla another dime of my money. It has been a really expensive and frustrating experience. I will not spend more money to get what I feel I bought originally.

The current description of FSD says:

"The currently enabled Autopilot, Enhanced Autopilot and Full Self-Driving features require active driver supervision and do not make the vehicle autonomous. Full autonomy will be dependent on achieving reliability far in excess of human drivers as demonstrated by billions of miles of experience, as well as regulatory approval, which may take longer in some jurisdictions."

In other words, my "Full Self Driving" package requires active supervision and does not make my car autonomous, despite the fact that I was being sold full Self Driving. On top of that FULL autonomy is dependent on things that may never happen.

The current version of FSDb and other FSD features, seem happy to hit walls on wide turns, run over curbs, pot holes, or speed bumps at speed, run into snowbanks, back into posts or, if a driver isn't paying really close attention, hit animals or other vehicles. All these things serve tesla well because they shorten the lifespan of the vehicles and make it less likely they'll still be on the road when tesla has to admit that the current hardware 3 won't ever offer true autonomy.

OP you have a decision to make: spend more money and still not get what you thought you were getting when you bought an old tesla with FSD included; or, reconcile yourself to having spent money on something that doesn't exist. Neither are a happy choice.

There are no happy endings here.

Sounds like a reply from a Tesla employee:) I bought FSD alpha, did not get either that or the beta, so which part of FSD did my cars get??? I just wish they would communicate--I probably would have paid for the MCU2 upgrade if I knew, but it's the lack of simple communication with the nearly decade Tesla owner and stock holder what bothers me. I guess this is why some customers just give up...
You should be asking your Tesla Service Center all of these questions, not emailing a defunct email address to the Autopilot software development team. Have you contacted your local Tesla service center, and what have they said?

Reactions: APotatoGod
My eyes start to bleed whenever threads like this one appear. In Feb 2023 I started a thread

Is any MCU1 car actually on FSD Beta yet?​

Several people responded that they had MCU1 and FSD Beta was finally working for them after many delays/challenges (including camera upgrades that were delayed for many months). Now a year later this thread appears, which seems to directly contradict what was posted in my thread. WTF!

BTW I did upgrade to MCU2 on my affected 12/2016 Model S years ago and only started the thread in Feb 2023 out of curiosity to see if I paid for an unnecessary MCU upgrade. And yes, I know some people are still insisting hell will freeze over before they pay for the upgraded MCU.😀

• Love
Reactions: SidetrackedSue