Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I hope there's an aftermarket version of this

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
autotwb2600.png

I've already taken delivery of my 3, and this could be useful in Atlanta traffic. :D

Just for comparison a US Navy WW II vintage 5 inch naval gun (main armament on destroyers and secondary armament on everything larger) has a muzzle energy of 7.8 MJ. The main gun on the Abrams tank firing an armor piercing round is 11.1 MJ of energy. The high explosive round (which also has anti-tank capabilities) has a muzzle energy of 7.0 MJ.

A rail gun capable of these characteristics would have a muzzle energy of 8.5 MJ. So your hitting power would be somewhere in the range of a modern tank and line up a few Model 3s and your hitting power would be a bit better than a WW II destroyer broadside.

Firing each round would take 2.6 KWh of battery energy.

Your moment of geek...

A rail gun capable of these characteristics would have a muzzle energy of 8.5 MJ. So your hitting power would be somewhere in the range of a modern tank. Firing each round would take 2.6 KWh of battery energy.
Oh good. So we don't use it to get the Atlanta driver's attention; we use it to remove them from the road.

I wanted to call my Tesla "Gort" after the robot in The Day The Earth Stood Still because the nose cone reminded me of Gort's visor. But I figured that would be wrong because I didn't have an actual death ray behind the nose cone. So I changed it to Klaatu, the spaceman in the movie.

After I get one of these installed, I'm going to change the name back.

220px-Gort_Firing.jpg