Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I Learned About EVs From That ...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bonnie

I play a nice person on twitter.
Feb 6, 2011
Columbia River Gorge
As more new Model S drivers hit the scene, I thought I’d start collecting the “What an adventure!!”, “I’ll never do THAT again”, and “lessons learned” stories so that we all can learn. (With a nod to FLYING Magazine’s long-standing column, “I Learned About Flying From That.”)

Let’s start it off with one of ChadS’ awesome posts about how to plan a roadtrip:

Sometimes, with or without great planning, things still go wrong. And sometimes things go right.

Feel free to add a link to your story. It helps everyone.

Last edited:
Great posts. We are learning a lot here. I think it's fair to say that it does take a little practice and research to be a successful EV owner Which is what some of the fuss regarding the recent NYT article has been (although, Elon's response article was pretty fantastic). You can't just drive 75 mph for hours at a time, with your warm and toasty cabin, and expect nothing to change. At least not yet. We didn't notice the effect on range as much with our ICE vehicles, because there is a gas station at every corner. We wait until our little gas light comes on and then pull over and fill 'er up. This would be the same scenario if there were level III charge stations at every corner. The Model S is the first car that has really demanded these type of chargers, particularly outside of a city. The Model S only really hit the streets in August -- six months ago! I know it's difficult at times and there are a lot of criticisms and critiques, but I think we're making great progress.

A helpful bit of information -- the 'rated range' at 265 means that your averageWh/mi is about 319. 'Ideal range' (which you can see if you change your settings) would be achieved at 283 Wh/mi. You can keep an eye on your energy chart and trip meters to see where your energy consumption lies compared to these. Personally, when the climate control is on (winter in Chicago) I have difficulty getting it below 380 Wh/mi, which is where all these difficult 200 mi road trips come in to play. Looking forward to spring.