Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I-Pace vs P3D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i-pace just doesn't stack up with the Model 3P.

Comparable interior dimensions (why people compare the i-Pace to the much larger Model X is a mystery) and 3P wins in basically every category that matters.

From recent Motor Trend article:

Price: iPace $88,595 3P $78,700 (as tested)
0-60: iPace 4.0 3P 3.3
Track course iPace 87.0 sec 3P 83.9 sec
Range: iPace 234 miles 3P 310 miles
Weight: iPace 4946 lb 3P 4078 lb
Efficiency: iPace 76 MPGe 3P 116 MPGe (combined)

War of the Worlds: Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor Performance vs Jaguar I-Pace EV400 HSE vs Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio - Motor Trend

3P just crushes it, even before factoring in tech (AP, touchscreen) and superior charging network.

Model 3 AWD is probably a better comparison to the i-Pace as far as performance goes. But the 3 AWD is far more efficient, has far more range, the Supercharger network and costs $30,000 less ($15,000 less than the base i-Pace S, which starts at $69,500). Jaguar is going to struggle, and it will be worse after the Model Y comes out.

BUMP! I loved following that link! The evaluators' comments starting around 1:45 and especially the remark at about 2:10 that the Model 3 Performance with Track Mode not making the driver feel "stupid or you've gone too far" is revealing.

It is a bit laggy but definitely not in seconds range. On other hand, try to compare how long will it take Tesla owner to change the temperature vs I-pace even with laggy media interface.
Two seconds with what is now a new learned muscle memory. Reach out underhanded, fingers to back of touchscreen, glance down, change temp with thumb. Done.

Sure. When will it be reflected in the insurance rates?
Already reflected. My Progressive rate is $20 cheaper on my Model 3 than my 09 Malibu. Quite a few discounts for the safety features. However, if Progressive wants to make my next six months cheaper, I'm good with that :)

Last edited:
When it comes to I-PACE there are a lot more to worry about than charging network. Take this new I-PACE owner for an example, here's what he had to say:

"Love driving this car and I thinks it is beautiful. I’m Dutch by the way. Received the car Tuesday and have had many issues since: no or incorrect milage data, the radio switched on by itself after locking the car and couldn’t be switched of anymore, the mid console switched off twice and doesn’t function until software is reloaded, charging at home is impossible as the car doesn’t connect (hence 2 hours of charging at fast charging stations!!) and at fast chargers the operator has to start the session remotely as the car keep on killing the sessions. The GPS module is not functioning resulting in a blocked Remote App as the car is listed as stolen. While loving the car, the whole experience so far has been a downright nuisance. I’ve spend an average of 2 hours a day to keep this care going, which is more than I drove on average a day as the range is disappointing tonsay the least. Anybody out there with similar experiences and an idea what Jaguar is doing to solve it?"

And another:

"
I am not sure if I am really happy to read this, but at least it seems I'm not the only one. The car drives great, if it drives. My issues so far:

- Not charging, it keeps initializing or breaks up charging after a few seconds.
- Charging at fast chargers of 175 kW, actually goes slower than on fast chargers of 50 kW (I saw the same reported on a Dutch website)
- Total lack of range. This 400 km seems only possible down hill. I feel mine to be closer to 200. (even if I put the cruise control on 100 km max)
- Strange happenings with my profile settings. I feel I keep programming the machine. It might recognize me, but it is not really clear when.
- Remote app is only consuming phone space. Its working is limited.

So the car is now at the dealer..

As the car was transported by a lorry to the dealer it reported itself stolen. So I got a call from tracking company where a lady, very reassuring, told me she already guessed it was service based on the model and make of the car, we have loads of calls coming in.

Although I can sort of understand there might be issues with new technology, the handling of it by Jaguar is absolutely horrible. I was sent away by one dealer as (although the car is not charging at any charge point) the car was still running! I told him this would only take a good 100 km before it would all end. He didn't care. He was overloaded with new cars with problems and his first slot would be January!"

• Informative
Reactions: Sg911