Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I really hate the wiper controls

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Of all the cars I've driven many $25k cars have very precise intermitten controls down many intervals of adjustment. I really hate how many clicks and screen touches I have to make to adjust a simple wipe.

The main problem is not rain, it's fog and frost that the sensors cannot detect. I'm driving in the morning when it's 34F and it is fogging up my windshield. The defroster doesn't come on hot as quickly so I'm feverishly trying to get the wiper wiping as the windshield fogs up within 3-4 secs of clearing.

It takes about 6-8 mins for fog to get under controlled by the defroster. 2nd problem is the lack of a rear wiper. I know how most Americans hate rear wipers but in many of my cars from hatchbacks, SUVs, and minivans all have rear wipers and they work great when needed. Sure you can use the rear camera to look back but I need my navigation screen.

All Tesla needs to do is build a damn slider that gives me more precise intermitten wiping controls from 1-5 sec intervals.

I do have to agree that the windshield wiper has a lot to be desired. Though I mainly only notice when it comes to speed and not so much the fog. My rear defroster usually gets rid of fog within 2-3 minutes and during that time I can use my side mirrors.

Also after 8 months I still have not got used to the turn signal requiring "significant" force to press.

Of all the cars I've driven many $25k cars have very precise intermitten controls down many intervals of adjustment. I really hate how many clicks and screen touches I have to make to adjust a simple wipe.

The main problem is not rain, it's fog and frost that the sensors cannot detect. I'm driving in the morning when it's 34F and it is fogging up my windshield. The defroster doesn't come on hot as quickly so I'm feverishly trying to get the wiper wiping as the windshield fogs up within 3-4 secs of clearing.

It takes about 6-8 mins for fog to get under controlled by the defroster. 2nd problem is the lack of a rear wiper. I know how most Americans hate rear wipers but in many of my cars from hatchbacks, SUVs, and minivans all have rear wipers and they work great when needed. Sure you can use the rear camera to look back but I need my navigation screen.

All Tesla needs to do is build a damn slider that gives me more precise intermitten wiping controls from 1-5 sec intervals.

I’ve taken to just hitting the windshield washer button on stalk whenever I wanna real quick wipe.

With 2019.40.50.x you can now use the voice commands to control the wipers. So you can tell it commands like “set the wipers to 1” (or 2 or 3). But I agree I would like more than just 3 speed settings. However I rarely take it off of “auto”. I’ll use the half press of the stalk button fairly regularly for random wipes.