Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I received my proposal summary today (central Florida)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
40841349943_053e714b75_o.jpg

47807657031_e42bc4b4b1_o.jpg

I would go with the Brevard Solar's quote, with Enphase microinverters. It's a very good price. Who cares if they are out of business in 5 years, the warranty is from the manufacturer anyway.

I would go with the Brevard Solar's quote, with Enphase microinverters. It's a very good price. Who cares if they are out of business in 5 years, the warranty is from the manufacturer anyway.
The problem is getting someone to go on the roof and pull the failed inverter. I believe Enphase does not cover labor, so the cost for the truck roll is borne by the installer. If the installer is out of business it is on the homeowner to find an installer and pay them to pull the bad one, send it to the manufacturer for replacement, wait for the new one, and come back out to install it. I don't say this to discourage anyone from using Enphase. I'm happy with mine and among 3 houses in my extended family we have not had a single one out of more than 60 devices fail in more than 6 years of use. I would encourage people to use an installer that will be around to service their installation.

Update.... I spoke with Tesla (about many things) and the rep asked tech if a
switch to optimizers would be worth it. Tech's answer was that it would only make
a 3% difference in output. Just like micro-inverters the system becomes much
more complex and prone to failure. In my case the location (close to the ocean)
can lead to increased failure. Leaving the system as they designed it would leave
any inverter issues at ground level. They don't use micro-inverters for their installations.

My plan is to cut down two of my palms and trim back my neighbor's oak tree. This
should substantially reduce my shading issues. I will replace my ancient refrigerator
and look into a hybrid water heater.

Optimizers don't cost very much. Don't know why they wouldn't just go that route if that's what the customer wants.

They made it my choice but I don't know enough to pick the optimizers over more simplicity
for a 3% gain. This isn't something that I have been investigating for a long time, hence my
sharing my story so that those with more technical knowledge may share their viewpoint.

I have another company (Windmar) who will use micro-inverters and say that they are
certified to install Powerwalls AND have PW's in stock.

The only real advantage to micros is not having to mount a string inverter somewhere (or if all but a few panels are covered in snow...). The efficiency advantage is WAAAY over-hyped. As long as each string is on an independent MPPT (which most inverters are) and you have at least ~4 panels on a string that are unshaded a string inverter will perform within <3% compared to optimizers or micros even when shade is an issue.

There's this myth that if one panel is shaded with a sting inverter that all panels in the string have their output reduced. This is 100% not true. ALL UL rated solar panels have bypass diodes. If there is shade the shaded section is bypassed and the rest of the string operates at full power.

article-2012december-active-bypass-diodes-improve-fig2.jpg

My local bidder just updated the info as I requested more output and recommended
we use LG 350 watt panels for my job. (limited roof space) It seems as though the
panels are a good choice. If I end up going with him I will probably order the 2 PW's
later from Tesla as a separate install. He wasn't specific about the model # as he was
feeling me out as to interest.

Now I have received the correct proposal from Tesla.....

47062518314_9f6b931974_b.jpg

This time with two Powerwalls. The tax credit would have to be claimed over two years
as my tax bill isn't 10K

String system, Delta Rapid Shutdown, Delta Solar Inverter, Q.PEAK DUO BLK-G5 / SC 310-320
panels. 77% usage offset.

I have a dumb PW2 question - if the sun doesn't shine for a week will the PW2 charge itself from the grid at night if power is cheaper at night?

I have confirmed my order for two powerwalls. I have 26 solar panels with Enphase microinverters. Found out one of my microinverters failed almost a year ago and I hadn't noticed (system has been installed many years and I take it for granted now). My solar installer sent an RMA to Enphase, we'll see how it goes getting it put in.

I have a dumb PW2 question - if the sun doesn't shine for a week will the PW2 charge itself from the grid at night if power is cheaper at night?

I have confirmed my order for two powerwalls. I have 26 solar panels with Enphase microinverters. Found out one of my microinverters failed almost a year ago and I hadn't noticed (system has been installed many years and I take it for granted now). My solar installer sent an RMA to Enphase, we'll see how it goes getting it put in.
In the USA, the Powerwalls only charge from solar except during StormWatch events. If you are really low generation, it will use all available solar to charge the batteries. The chance of the total generation being truly zero for a whole week is nearly zero. The Powerwalls will just drain to the Reserve level and charge a little above that and discharge back down to it each day. If you know a big storm is coming and you are likely to lose power, raise the Reserve level before the storm comes so you can save that energy for the stormy period. When StormWatch is active due a National Weather Service Alert high enough and the right type, the Powerwalls will charge from the grid.

In the USA, the Powerwalls only charge from solar except during StormWatch events. If you are really low generation, it will use all available solar to charge the batteries. The chance of the total generation being truly zero for a whole week is nearly zero. The Powerwalls will just drain to the Reserve level and charge a little above that and discharge back down to it each day. If you know a big storm is coming and you are likely to lose power, raise the Reserve level before the storm comes so you can save that energy for the stormy period. When StormWatch is active due a National Weather Service Alert high enough and the right type, the Powerwalls will charge from the grid.

Any idea why the USA is different, and won't allow charging from the grid? I assume its a legal restriction. It sure would be nice to charge it at night, and it seems like the utility would like this as well since they have less demand at night...

Shoot, I just noticed your signature - two PW2s and solar - so what has your experience been as far as keeping the PW battery charged? I mean, does it get to 100% or do you wish you had more solar panels so you could capture more juice and use it during peak times?

Shoot, I just noticed your signature - two PW2s and solar - so what has your experience been as far as keeping the PW battery charged? I mean, does it get to 100% or do you wish you had more solar panels so you could capture more juice and use it during peak times?
I need more solar. The solar was sized for the house and my budget 6 years ago. It does not generate enough to cover charging two EVs.

With recent Powerwall software on Time Based Control, they don't charge to full until the weekend because it is trying to save money by earning Part-Peak NEM credits M-F. On the weekend they charge to full because most of the day is Off-Peak. If I used more energy during the Peak period, the behavior would be different.

• Informative
Reactions: Galve2000