Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Expanding my system, NEM 3.0 Etc

Looking for a little help/guidance with recent Tesla order.

I currently have a 5.2 Sunpower system I installed 3 years ago. It is a small system for a 4k sq ft home with tons of lighting (LED), kids, pool (variable speed) and two Teslas (X and S). We drive a lot and prior to the cars we were spending $6k per year in fuel costs. 3 years ago I wasn't sure if I wanted to "go big" partially because of my roof orientation (limited on south and west facing) and because with TOU plans and electric vehicles, I didn't have to produce up to 100% because we don't run the AC much and charging the cars between 12-6AM is only $.09 per kwh. My average electric bill with SDG&E is about $80-100 on average per month. In 2020 I produced 9,700 and used 21,600 but with TOU I was able to buy that energy very reasonably. So that system has already paid for itself...great deal right? Then I started reading about NEM 3.0 and people having blackouts...

In July I ordered a 6.46 system with Tesla that included 1 PW to expand my current system, bringing it up to over 11 kW DC. I am in a master planned community in South OC so we do not have many blackouts but I thought the PW would be great for load shifting. They recommended two PW but I don't think I will need to run my AC during a blackout and our community. The panels will be added on areas of roof that are not optimal.

Then the circus started. Tesla submitted my permits to county as a new system, not an expansion. It got trapped in permit stage for months without me knowing the problem. Anyways, I have made it very clear to them that I will not move forward unless this gets installed prior to NEM 3.0. As I keep reading updates about delays I see NEM 3.0 articles and anecdotes out there that have me worried again so I just emailed Telsa to see if adding another PW now would delay things. If Tesla screwed up once they probably will again (my advisor still has not told me if my old system and new system will pass through PW). She said she is "asking engineers" and I have asked 4 times. Part of me just wants to cancel but what I am having a hard time understanding is will the great deal above (my monthly average) be grandfathered in under 2.0 and I will not have any changes for 17 years? Should I load the boat with more solar and PWs to future proof? I am confused and little mystified with Tesla's incompetence right now. Will let ya know what they say about additional PW...
 

h2ofun

Active Member
Aug 11, 2020
3,263
741
auburn, ca
Looking for a little help/guidance with recent Tesla order.

I currently have a 5.2 Sunpower system I installed 3 years ago. It is a small system for a 4k sq ft home with tons of lighting (LED), kids, pool (variable speed) and two Teslas (X and S). We drive a lot and prior to the cars we were spending $6k per year in fuel costs. 3 years ago I wasn't sure if I wanted to "go big" partially because of my roof orientation (limited on south and west facing) and because with TOU plans and electric vehicles, I didn't have to produce up to 100% because we don't run the AC much and charging the cars between 12-6AM is only $.09 per kwh. My average electric bill with SDG&E is about $80-100 on average per month. In 2020 I produced 9,700 and used 21,600 but with TOU I was able to buy that energy very reasonably. So that system has already paid for itself...great deal right? Then I started reading about NEM 3.0 and people having blackouts...

In July I ordered a 6.46 system with Tesla that included 1 PW to expand my current system, bringing it up to over 11 kW DC. I am in a master planned community in South OC so we do not have many blackouts but I thought the PW would be great for load shifting. They recommended two PW but I don't think I will need to run my AC during a blackout and our community. The panels will be added on areas of roof that are not optimal.

Then the circus started. Tesla submitted my permits to county as a new system, not an expansion. It got trapped in permit stage for months without me knowing the problem. Anyways, I have made it very clear to them that I will not move forward unless this gets installed prior to NEM 3.0. As I keep reading updates about delays I see NEM 3.0 articles and anecdotes out there that have me worried again so I just emailed Telsa to see if adding another PW now would delay things. If Tesla screwed up once they probably will again (my advisor still has not told me if my old system and new system will pass through PW). She said she is "asking engineers" and I have asked 4 times. Part of me just wants to cancel but what I am having a hard time understanding is will the great deal above (my monthly average) be grandfathered in under 2.0 and I will not have any changes for 17 years? Should I load the boat with more solar and PWs to future proof? I am confused and little mystified with Tesla's incompetence right now. Will let ya know what they say about additional PW...
I went all the way. 30kw of solar, just added 15kw. And 5 batteries. Plus the 22kw generator. I am ready for anything.

I only added the 15kw of solar to bet that NEM3 would not get me, but will see.
 

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.


SUPPORT TMC
Top