Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Proposal Review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received my proposal and layout from Tesla and wanted to see if some of the knowledgeable people here could let me know if everything looks good.

I have a 2,400 SQ Ft House in Central New Hampshire near the Lakes Region. My avg electric bill for the past 12 months is about $320.

I'm pretty much covering every possible spot with a panel, this is the layout:
2019-09-03_1201

Price Breakdown before any rebates: (2019-09-03_1202)
86 Panels / 27.09kW - $13,639.82
Inverter & Mounting Hardware - $10,050.39
Installation, Permitting, Other Fees - $48,098.29
Solar Subtotal: $71,788.5

Storage
2 Powerwalls : $13,400
Gateway : $1,100
Install: $2,500
Storage Subtotal: $17,000

Total system cost: $88,788.50

Attached to the proposal are PDFs for:
Solar Edge Power Optimizer, P400-ZEP
Solar Edge Phase Inverters : 2019-09-03_1203
Solar Panels Q.Peak Duo Blk-G5/SC 210-320 : 2019-09-03_1227

This is a big investment and I just want to know if anyone can offer any advice or let me know if this quote\layout looks good. Please let me know if any other information is needed.

Thanks!

Holy @#$%!!! 27kW system and they are only estimating an annual production of 20,000 kWh? I truly forgot how far north NH is.

The price per watt is where it needs to be ($2.65 per watt prior to state/federal incentives), although if you get some competing quotes you might be able to work them further down. This is my 0.02: I prefer microinverter systems to Tesla's string inverter + optimizer setup. If you have significant shading, it will produce more power from the same panels over the years.

The powerwall pricing also looks to be along their standards, and they really are not negotiable on that one.

I guess the businessman in me is really eyeballing the ROI on that system at about 16 years after incentives and that does make me twitchy.

I received my proposal and layout from Tesla and wanted to see if some of the knowledgeable people here could let me know if everything looks good.

I have a 2,400 SQ Ft House in Central New Hampshire near the Lakes Region. My avg electric bill for the past 12 months is about $320.

I'm pretty much covering every possible spot with a panel, this is the layout:
2019-09-03_1201

Price Breakdown before any rebates: (2019-09-03_1202)
86 Panels / 27.09kW - $13,639.82
Inverter & Mounting Hardware - $10,050.39
Installation, Permitting, Other Fees - $48,098.29
Solar Subtotal: $71,788.5

Storage
2 Powerwalls : $13,400
Gateway : $1,100
Install: $2,500
Storage Subtotal: $17,000

Total system cost: $88,788.50

Attached to the proposal are PDFs for:
Solar Edge Power Optimizer, P400-ZEP
Solar Edge Phase Inverters : 2019-09-03_1203
Solar Panels Q.Peak Duo Blk-G5/SC 210-320 : 2019-09-03_1227

This is a big investment and I just want to know if anyone can offer any advice or let me know if this quote\layout looks good. Please let me know if any other information is needed.

Thanks!

What's the orientation of your house? Are they putting the panels on the east/west sides, or on the south/north side? If they are putting them on the northern side, I would skip that. It is a waste of money to install panels on the northern side of a house in NH (which probably has a steep roof slope). You can invest the money in some other efficiency upgrades.

The price seems consistent with what they charge other people, but I would ask whether you need so many panels. The production estimate seems to be VERY low, for the number of panels that they are installing. For comparison, I have a 12kw system that is estimated to produce 17000kwh per year (in Florida, but still the difference with NE shouldn't be more than 20-30%).

I am south of Boston, 12.9 kw system and on track for 12,500 kw produced in first year which is in line with Tesla estimate during proposal which is about 65% of my annual usage. 10kw (largest MA allows supposedly) SolarEdge HD wave inverter. Price matched to 44k gross (prices down since but higher than 2.65/w due to claimed labor prices) minus 30% fed 1k state and 18k over ten year REC, plus .26 per kWh (3250yr) saved makes it high up front cost with higher long term ROI since I don't plan to sell this house. I agree with OP that your system sounds like overkill esp if north facing panels. Glad to talk it out if you want to PM me.

Thank you for the replies and information! The panels will be pretty close to east\west, looking out the front door of my house is @ 290 degrees. I don't have any issues with shade. As far as I know they don't offer production guarantees anymore, at least it doesn't show any guarantee in the contract so I'm a little worried but from reading here most people seem to get at least what the estimates said.

@Raechris How much does your production go down in the winter with the snow? I've read mixed things about snow and panels.

Thank you for the replies and information! The panels will be pretty close to east\west, looking out the front door of my house is @ 290 degrees. I don't have any issues with shade. As far as I know they don't offer production guarantees anymore, at least it doesn't show any guarantee in the contract so I'm a little worried but from reading here most people seem to get at least what the estimates said.

@Raechris How much does your production go down in the winter with the snow? I've read mixed things about snow and panels.
If panels are completely covered then zero until a few exposed. Winter is low azimuth so 2 mos either side of Dec 22 are worst. I generated last year. Dec 400, Jan 450, feb 540, March (14 inches snow and 6 days at zero) 934, April 1234, etc