TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

I saw it!

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Kipernicus, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Kipernicus

Kipernicus Model S Res#P1440

We were going north on El Camino from the Palo Alto shopping mall. It was red, and must have been the one from the Detroit show. It was on a flatbed truck. From that vantage I could see a flat bulge underneath the car, which I assume was the battery pack. I could also see through the windows and glass roof. It had a standard CA license plate, not a dealer one.

It looked great!

Not sure where it was going though - the truck was moving pretty slowly and I didn't have time to follow it.

2. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Didn't have time to grab a cell phone pic? :(

3. Iz

Iz EVs are here to stay

Cool :cool: Would be nice to see more Model S sightings. A few years back some posters on this forum reported the early Roadster sightings!

4. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Yes, I think the Model S concept has had a "standard" plate all along.
    Probably it has a registered "donor chassis" at first, so it may not have had to have special registration like a new prototype would.

[​IMG]

(I wonder if someone "ran the plate" if "manufacturer" would show up as a Tesla or a Mercedes?)

5. OwlsCat

OwlsCat Member

It really does exist...

This reminds me of that M&Ms commercial, where the one M&M faints when he sees Santa Claus, exclaiming, "he really does exist!" Seriously, though, those of us who have production queue numbers are heartened by any news or sightings of our Model S!

6. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

While I'd normally agree, I don't think this particular sighting is anything spectacular. It's just spotting a car that we already know exists in transit :) Heck, for all we know, it could have broken down horribly and needed a tow! :biggrin:

7. Tommy

Tommy Member

I did some sleuthing of my photo collection of the S model and the same California plate # is shown in photos of the red, gray and white painted S model. I don't know if it's the same car repainted a different color or 3 separate cars and the license plate is being moved from vehicle to vehicle.

8. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Given that the white and grey ones have been seen in the same room at the same time, I'd say it's the latter.

9. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

I suppose someone could have borrowed the front plate from the gray->red one and stuck it on the back of the white one...
    [​IMG]

By the way, the white one doesn't run... It doesn't even have a complete interior. It is a "pusher/roller" body model.

10. ChargeIt!

ChargeIt! Member

A front plate should not have stickers on it ...
    Both vehicles in the same room does not mean both had license plates ...

Don't have time to search the "S" pictures ... but ... hint ... look for same plate/month/year-stickers in the same photo ... :smile:

11. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#11 TEG, Apr 3, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
    No plate, dummy plate, dealer plate, manufacturer plate, take your pick...
    3423445362_7749e599d4.jpg
    4086386050_ed49ecaf2f.jpg
    3492158154_8834e82aa0.jpg
    4293870501_467ee55576.jpg

At the LA intro when gray and white were together they both had dealer plates...

12. NEWDL

NEWDL R#350 R#1323 Sig23 8136

the gray car is now the red car...

13. johnr

johnr Member

The same plate was on the silver car at the Menlo Park unveiling April 8, 2009:

[​IMG]

14. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Notice anything different about these two?
    4293870501_40fef32713_o.jpg
    3865577525_9074085999_o.jpg

Plate du jour...

By the way, it doesn't look like screws are through the holes. Perhaps suction cups or magnets?

15. Tdave

Tdave Member

This last shot was at the DC event. I took an almost identical shot to this one. The others I think are from the LA event. Reviewing my shots from the DC event shows that no plate was on the white car.

16. Iz

Iz EVs are here to stay

6A - 1A?

Seen some of these photos before but the vehicle always looks quite stunning. Not too crazy about the charging port location.

17. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Yeah - I think that is a plate #.
    So, for instance a dealer and/or manufacturer (and in some cases both) gets a set of plates each with the same vendor #, but each with a unique sequence plate #.

I gather the Model S concept cars are a bit of a gray area so they just sometimes decide to grab an available plate from somewhere and just put it on there temporarily.

I think many of those dealer/manufacturer plates are fairly interchangeable. I think it is OK to move them from vehicle to vehicle. The 5NPH921 plate, on the other hand, probably is supposed to stay on a specific vehicle with a particular VIN #. (But if the vehicle is only ever in a shipping truck, private parking lot, or exhibit hall then it probably doesn't matter.)

18. Kevin Harney

Kevin Harney Active Member

As I recall vaguely that plate was also seen on a Roadster was it not? No proof and no desire to search but it sticks in my mind that we had this discussion before and it was between a Roadster and Model S or perhaps two Roadsters .....

19. Kipernicus

Kipernicus Model S Res#P1440

Yeah I was so floored by the sighting that I didn't come to my senses and grab a pic. Sorry everyone!

I do remember enough of the plate enough to confirm it was the 5NPH921

20. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

The white one barely rolls. Not even sure if the steering works. It would not need a plate except for show.