Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I want Speed in KMs, proximity in inches

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Years ago at a Prius owners' gathering, there was a guy there with a Japanese market Prius and he had taped a card on his dash with a conversion table of MPH to KPH values to help him stay within speed limits on US roads. Maybe you can do something similar for inches to centimeters (or vice versa)? :rolleyes::D

• Funny
Reactions: longshot49
I started school in '73 and our education was all metric right from the start. The conversion happened in the mid '70s. There's been a fair bit of time to adjust, but if you're still having problems with the proximity sensors, let me present you with a simple conversion. One metre is reasonably close to one yard. There are 100 cm in 1 m. Therefore you can think of the distance in cm being about the same percentage of a yard. So 50 cm is roughly 1/2 yard. 30 cm is roughly 1/3 of a yard or 1'.

See, not so hard (says the guy who still displays his tire pressure in psi...).

like many Canadians of a certain age I think in feet and lbs for most things. Yes I can convert to metric but I have to think about it. It way more intuitive for me to see I am 12” from something rather than 30cm.

I would love the option setting different units for proximity than speed.

Am I alone?
Nope - not alone. Did my high school in Imperial measurement, before that rat, Trudeau Sr. got hoodwinked by Jimmy Carter, and adopted the metric system.

.....My kids called me a dinosaur because I refused to talk celsius, kilograms, and kilometers

Until I asked them:
How tall are you?
How much do you weigh?
What are the common sizes for lumber?
What is the size of a sheet of plywood or drywall?

All still imperial sizes.
I have converted my driving to KM/HR, but everything else is still imperial. So, yes, 12" from the car is good

Last edited:
I started school in '73 and our education was all metric right from the start. The conversion happened in the mid '70s. There's been a fair bit of time to adjust, but if you're still having problems with the proximity sensors, let me present you with a simple conversion. One metre is reasonably close to one yard. There are 100 cm in 1 m. Therefore you can think of the distance in cm being about the same percentage of a yard. So 50 cm is roughly 1/2 yard. 30 cm is roughly 1/3 of a yard or 1'.

See, not so hard (says the guy who still displays his tire pressure in psi...).

I have no big issue with the conversion, it just that I have to make a conversion rather than just think it. when someone tells my they are183 cm tall, I does not mean much to me until I convert in my head and see that they are 6 feet tall.

I speak French as a second language, but I am not fluent enough or use it enough to think in French, so I am bit slower as I am always translating in my head. Same idea as cm to inches.

Nope - not alone. Did my high school in Imperial measurement, before that rat, Trudeau Sr. got hoodwinked by Jimmy Carter, and adopted the metric system.

.....My kids called me a dinosaur because I refused to talk celsius, kilograms, and kilometers

Until I asked them:
How tall are you?
How much do you weigh?

I have converted my driving to KM/HR, but everything else is still imperial. So, yes, 12" from the car is good

Pretty much me. I use height and with imperial. I wood work so it is all imperial.

I have no big issue with the conversion, it just that I have to make a conversion rather than just think it. when someone tells my they are183 cm tall, I does not mean much to me until I convert in my head and see that they are 6 feet tall.

I speak French as a second language, but I am not fluent enough or use it enough to think in French, so I am bit slower as I am always translating in my head. Same idea as cm to inches.

Speaking of customizing things, I wish we (in the US) could select different languages. I do think in French (at least sometimes) and would like to be able to set my car to use French as well.

Reactions: Mod3forMe

Until I asked them:
How tall are you?
How much do you weigh?

Dinosaur, hack no...

If Jimmy character forced us to use metrics, why in the USA, everything is still in MPH, ft inch and lib?

For me, I am half converted. I can understand Celsius, I can understand how fast is 100 km/h, how far away is 800 meter since that is what my Google Map is telling me these day. But you ask me how tall and how much I weight, lb and ft is just perfect.

Hey, ask the kids what is a "Slide rule"... log table.. lol

But then, I have smart home with SmartThings, Alexa, apple home and google home. Let's not forget we drive Tesla, it is basically a huge computer on very Fast wheels. Life is just fun.

Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
Dinosaur, hack no...

If Jimmy character forced us to use metrics, why in the USA, everything is still in MPH, ft inch and lib?
Jimmy Carter promised Justin's Dad that the USA was going metric. Canada had committed in 1970, but Trudeau Sr. pushed the accelerator...and Canada did it (Road signs in 1977, gas in 1979, food in 1980). The USA changed their mind......
Carter said: sorry, not sorry, then Reagan buried it

Reactions: Mod3forMe
Years ago at a Prius owners' gathering, there was a guy there with a Japanese market Prius and he had taped a card on his dash with a conversion table of MPH to KPH values to help him stay within speed limits on US roads. Maybe you can do something similar for inches to centimeters (or vice versa)? :rolleyes::D
Our 2005 Prius has a "one push" button on the dash which changes this number anytime. It is second generation.