Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I work on 10-20 Tesla weekly. What questions do you have about Window Tint, PPF and coatings?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Shop here in the Midwest works on 10-20 Tesla a week. We specialize in Full body PPF, Window tinting, Chrome delete, and coatings.

What questions do you have for me?

Window tinting
- Rear windows should be done 1 piece.
- Side windows ask if they can shave it.
- Ceramic film? how can you tell if they install ceramic?

PPF
- Should you bulk or pre-cut?
- Tesla T on the hood should be replaced with New
- Side camera remove or not? (clips can break)
- 1 piece the front bumper? 1 piece the rear hatch?
- Stealth wraps are you tucking in? is it a must? is it worth it?

Just trying to help model 3 owners understand this stuff before you spend $$$.

My Shop here in the Midwest works on 10-20 Tesla a week. We specialize in Full body PPF, Window tinting, Chrome delete, and coatings.

Window tinting

PPF

Why is a full wrap of Xpel stealth like $8000?

Are the paint defects such as these able to be removed with paint correction?
IMG_0585.JPG
IMG_7325.JPG
IMG_0342.JPG

Hi,
Please comment on front windshield tinting, and the risk of electronics damage from the install.

I was set to tint my windows last summer, and then the shop changed its policy to not tinting the windshield.

I've done many front windshields on all Tesla. My X and model 3 are done.

Yes, it's very dangerous due to electronics. with the proper tools, you can do it perfectly fine. Make sure your installer is using a rope type fabric to tuck deep down so the water doesn't go into the dashboard.

• Informative
Reactions: skrtskrt
From what I understand, a proper chrome delete requires removing parts (like AP cameras, side mirrors), how hard is it to do so without damaging the car?

Chrome delete on the model 3 is easier than the X or S.

Side cameras are tricky... They are hard to remove without sheering off the top plastic clips. It's doable but not easy. The Side cameras will still go into place but not as tight.

Chrome delete around the mirror is also doable without removing. IF the shop is removing they will def charge you extra.

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
Are the paint defects such as these able to be removed with paint correction? View attachment 342089 View attachment 342090 View attachment 342088

Paint correction can do the paint wonders! every tesla that comes into the shop has some kind of paint defects. A good detailer will make that car look better then the day it came off the tesla assembly line.

Paint nibbles, fish eyes, or dirt in the paint will be the hardest to fix. almost impossible without repainting.

Wrapped PPF edges or closely cut to edge ? On previous S my wrapped edges started to lose grip over time ..on X I had cut very close to edge ..thoughts ?

This is the biggest issue I read online. Most installers have egos and will tell everyone they tuck all the film in. or they will bulk a whole car.

It's simple... I like my installs to be "stressfree" for the consumers. Tuck in areas where it should be tucked in. line up the film to the edge as close as possible without any lifting issues.

Some shops will round off edges of the tip of the fenders, some will run it sharp. Running it sharp covers most the fender tips but is more likely to lift over time.

Tesla model 3 gaps are so tight up front i dont see anyone tucking in the film all the way in without removing the bumper.

What brand film whats getting covered?
bulking? or do they have a cut program?
replacing your Tesla emblem or using the old one?
any paint/clear correction
are they removing side camera if you are doing full fenders.

It’s Xpel Ultimate. Their website says “The Clear Bra pieces are plotter cut by hand and installed by hand. Our digital patterns can be customized so we can cover any specific vehicle part or even the entire vehicle (a Full Body wrap).“

They told me on the phone they’ll do paint corrections as needed on the parts of the car being covered (will get them to do the test before ceramic coating is one at a later date).

I’ll have to ask about the Tesla emblem and side cameras. What’s your recommendation?

Will full rear one piece glass tint crack the back windshield due to heat?

Honestly, I read this happening before.. Its never happened to me. not sure if the glass is breaking after the install or during?

During the install, you have to be careful with the heat gun. The rear glass has a layer of UV protectant where it could have weird circles if the installer heats it up to long

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde

Window tinting

PPF

PPF