Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ICBC charges more for EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just returned from Insurance broker. They told me ICBC charges about $600/year more for EV. I didn't get a quote from private company. The collision part costs a lot more.

For max discount at -20 (43%), my model 3 (75 4DR,... that's what listed in the drop down menu) will cost me $2800.

Regular ICE will cost me around 2200.

They said battery costs a lot more to repair.

I just returned from Insurance broker. They told me ICBC charges about $600/year more for EV. I didn't get a quote from private company. The collision part costs a lot more.

For max discount at -20 (43%), my model 3 (75 4DR,... that's what listed in the drop down menu) will cost me $2800.

Bizarre, insurance on my 2015 leaf is not expensive at all, totally comparable with my old VW. I doubt that actually applies to ‘all EV’s’ Maybe just brand new Tesla’s are $600 more..?

What coverage did you get for $2800?

My Coverage:

• 43% Discount
  • Rate Class 023 (drive to work less than 15km)
  • 10 Year Experience Driver discount
  • $300 Deductible (Collision and Comprehensive)
  • $2 Million 3rd Party Liability
  • Road Star Package ($25/year)
  • Custom License Plate ($45/year)
  • Replacement Cost insurance through Aviva

Total per year: $2,553

The cost of ICBC coverage on my M3 AWD is comparable to my 2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited. It is higher, but we're comparing to a car that's 4 years older and cost nearly 1/2 as much.

What ICE vehicle are you comparing to, because your $2200 is lower than my Outback also will full discount. My understanding is the Model S has high repair costs, due to costs of parts and the fact that it's aluminum. Obviously the cost to write it off would also be very high. Did you include replacement cost coverage in your comparison? I know that was a huge amount that I ended up passing on.

What coverage did you get for $2800?

My Coverage:

• 43% Discount
  • Rate Class 023 (drive to work less than 15km)
  • $2 Million 3rd Party Liability
  • Road Star Package ($25/year)
  • Custom License Plate ($45/year)
  • Replacement Cost insurance through Aviva

Total per year: $2,553

Mine:

• 43% Discount
  • Rate Class 021 (Pleasure)
  • $3 Million 3rd Party Liability
  • Roadside plus ($48/year)

The cost of ICBC coverage on my M3 AWD is comparable to my 2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited. It is higher, but we're comparing to a car that's 4 years older and cost nearly 1/2 as much.

What ICE vehicle are you comparing to, because your $2200 is lower than my Outback also will full discount. My understanding is the Model S has high repair costs, due to costs of parts and the fact that it's aluminum. Obviously the cost to write it off would also be very high. Did you include replacement cost coverage in your comparison? I know that was a huge amount that I ended up passing on.

My ICE is 2015 Lexus IS250 AWD

I had replacement, but privately thru Optiom.

My ICE is 2015 Lexus IS250 AWD

I had replacement, but privately thru Optiom.
Sorry, I thought you had a Model S (the 75 in the dropdown made me think that). $2800 for a Model 3 sounds a bit on the high side. I forget exactly what my Model 3 LR AWD was, but I thought it was more like $2600.

I guess it also depends on whether you have any drivers with less than 10 years of experience allowed. Now that I think of it, my Subaru is insured to allow drivers with under 10 years experience, but my Tesla is not.

This is the quote. Did I select the wrong car?

Attachments

• IMG_2953.jpg
    IMG_2953.jpg
    368.4 KB · Views: 352
This is the quote. Did I select the wrong car?
So your's is for pleasure use, and mostly it's a bit lower than mine, but I went with $500 deductible for collision. You save over $150/year by being willing to pay an extra $200 in the case of an accident. Seems like a scam to make extra money from people that want the lowest deductible. In fact, it may be worth going even higher on the collision deductible, but I didn't look into those rates.

I was also remembering before the fees, which add another $100.