Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ice in supercharger connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, several of the chargers at my local supercharger station are literally iced. The cables are inflexible in the cold so they often fall on the ground ending up packed with snow. This prevents users from being able to fully plug the connector in, leading to charger out of service.

Can I use lock deicer or something similar to melt out the ice? Power is off if it’s not plugged in, so I’m thinking this might work. Anyone know or have an idea?

Cold weather will stiffen the cables substantially making them inflexible, just the laws of physics, nothing much can be done unless there is a way to warm the cables with some sort of heat shield which doesn't exist yet in the SuperCharger. Trying to spray any liquid or foam to de-ice is a NO NO. Superchargers are high current infrastructure and consequences can be disastrous for the car as well as things around the car. I wouldn't try it .

Cold weather will stiffen the cables substantially making them inflexible, just the laws of physics, nothing much can be done unless there is a way to warm the cables with some sort of heat shield which doesn't exist yet in the SuperCharger. Trying to spray any liquid or foam to de-ice is a NO NO. Superchargers are high current infrastructure and consequences can be disastrous for the car as well as things around the car. I wouldn't try it .
We can deal with the inflexibility. Just not the ice in the holes with the pins for the connector.

So, several of the chargers at my local supercharger station are literally iced. The cables are inflexible in the cold so they often fall on the ground ending up packed with snow. This prevents users from being able to fully plug the connector in, leading to charger out of service.

Can I use lock deicer or something similar to melt out the ice? Power is off if it’s not plugged in, so I’m thinking this might work. Anyone know or have an idea?

What about a battery powered heat gun to melt the ice. Not low cost, but I think it would work.

https://www.amazon.com/CRAFTSMAN-He...ords=cordless+heat+gun&qid=1671485158&sr=8-30

I think this happens more with V2 as they have thicker cables. I have some metal wire in my trunk for that kind of situation (but I never needed to do it yet). I'd use it to clear snow/ice. There's no high voltage until it's connected and has successfully negotiated with the car. I would be careful not to be to oharsh to not break anything. I would not use any liquid.