Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Idiots in Carparks (why we can't have nice things)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Jason71

May 8, 2019
Shropshire
Returned to my 4 month old car last night to find the full house of a dent/scratch/paint chip. All small but so unnecessary.
I know the carpark was tight and I am near the edge of the space (I was in the middle of the available space) but this Lady did not seem in the least bit bothered that she was opening her door into my car even though my daughter was actually sitting in the car! I would not have parked there if I was going to be more than 5 minutes. Sadly 1 minute too long :(

20230128_200505.jpg

• Disagree
Reactions: Silicon Desert
I know what you mean. It’s very annoying.

Seems if you care a jot about your car/bike etc the very first scratch, chip, dent etc seems to be the most painful to receive.

So says I with my month old car that’s sporting a nice windscreen chip right smack bang in the middle of the screen today after a trek down the A3.

Let’s not talk about what happened at home on Friday when putting away my bike after getting it MOT’d 🥲

If you have someone’s reg you can look up via the DVLA the address it’s registered too. A kind letter showing the footage and a polite request to pay for damages perhaps?
I don't think they hand that info out to just anyone. Parking companies etc can get it but they have to be registered users and have passed checks and have to pay before they can get access. I am not aware that any old member of the public can just request someones address. I stand to be corrected though.

I believe the details can be obtained if you have just cause, send a copy of the video to DVLA with a request for owner details. seems reasonable to me and hopefully they would too, otherwise report the damage to the police and ask them to provide the drivers details as they have caused damage.

I believe the details can be obtained if you have just cause, send a copy of the video to DVLA with a request for owner details. seems reasonable to me and hopefully they would too, otherwise report the damage to the police and ask them to provide the drivers details as they have caused damage.
I don't have the reg number so it's kind of irrelevant on this occasion. The damage is also pretty minor luckily. I really doubt the police would be interested

Probably, yes. Technically you’re obliged to tell them anyway, even if you choose not to fix it.

Say you write to the owner, who tells you where to go. You end up back at your insurer anyway, who will contact their insurer.

For this one, I’d probably just pay to fix it myself (as annoying and costly as that is).

Probably, yes. Technically you’re obliged to tell them anyway, even if you choose not to fix it.

Say you write to the owner, who tells you where to go. You end up back at your insurer anyway, who will contact their insurer.

For this one, I’d probably just pay to fix it myself (as annoying and costly as that is).
I think anything below needing a panel resprayed its probably not worth the time and effort unless you want to go round and key the offenders car, but that card key thingy is way too flimsy for that 😁

Let's just admit it...we are lucky enough to have cars that attract parking spanners..

I tend to park well away from any other car...and when I return , and regardless of how empty the car park is, there's always some numpty parked within a cig paper of mine.

Reactions: Godsense
One main error here. You parked near McDonalds! All the damage in my previous cars have been in fast food/ retail park carparks. People just don’t care and when their hands are full, even less so. My gym is next to a McDonalds and I actually park in a quiet B&Q carpark about 200m away because is much safer.

It’s a shame that some people just don’t care about other peoples stuff. These people are also the first to complain when an expensive car parks across 2 spaces to protect it from things such as this!

Reactions: Durzel
It's careless for sure. Unfortunately a lot of people, most people I'd wager, just see driving and their cars as a means to an end. Most people don't even own their cars so they don't give a crap about things like this.

I make sure I don't touch another person's car whether that means having to contort myself like some kind of performance art piece, or just simply putting my hand in on the door edge so that any contact is softened. People who give a crap about other people's possessions are very much in short supply though.

I would also echo @Morpheus84 above in that I would never park in a regular space in a McDonalds car park. As said people carrying bags of food and drinks are not thinking about your car at all.