Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you could go back to Firmware 7.1, would you?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

St Charles

Tesla, not TSLA!
Jun 21, 2016
Virginia
Now that Firmware 8.x has been out for several months, there have been many updates to both AP and non AP features. Are you happy with where version 8 firmware is at this point? If you were given the option to revert your car back to 7.1, would you?

Now that Firmware 8.x has been out for several months, there have been many updates to both AP and non AP features. Are you happy with where version 8 firmware is at this point? If you were given the option to revert your car back to 7.1, would you?
I'd personally stay with 8.1 because there are some improvements but if I were you I'd be concerned with the counters on your ludy use.

For me, 8.1's improvements and advantages exceeded its drawbacks compared to 7.1 as of firmware 2.52.22. The AP1 improvements in that version really made AP1 into a mature, reliable driver's aid, and it's worth dealing with a few of 8.1's idiosyncrasies e.g. hiding icons, difficult-to-navigate media player, and a few other UI annoyances.

If you had asked me this for the 8.0 and early 8.1 releases then I would have considered going back to 7.1, but as of now, I would stay with 8.1.

Note: I have an 85D, therefore I'm unaffected by the P90D counters issue in 8.0/8.1. Those would warrant severe consideration in answering this question if they applied to me.

I haven't really noticed improvement in AP1 between 8.1 and 7.1 to be honest but did many more miles of highway driving (ie long road trips) under 7.1 than 8.1. I will say that 8.1 works well enough for my long road trip needs and that is enough for me, but I was hoping you guys could teach me some UI 8.1 "tricks" -- lately I have been using the built in "phone" menu and more and more and I am trying to figure out the best way to access said menu without taking my eyes off the road.

I keep the map on the top half most of the time so the row of function buttons are not visible but i do my best to hit the swap button and then the phone button which is at the edge of the screen. it doesn't always work but i'm getting better at it with practice. I used to rarely use the built in phone functions (besides voice commands from my contacts) but now I having place calls to a firm with rolling numbers where the quickest way to get through to someone is to call back the number that called u so using center screen phone function makes that easy. if only there was an easy way to get to the phone functions.

I haven't really noticed improvement in AP1 between 8.1 and 7.1 to be honest but did many more miles of highway driving (ie long road trips) under 7.1 than 8.1. I will say that 8.1 works well enough for my long road trip needs and that is enough for me, but I was hoping you guys could teach me some UI 8.1 "tricks" -- lately I have been using the built in "phone" menu and more and more and I am trying to figure out the best way to access said menu without taking my eyes off the road.

I keep the map on the top half most of the time so the row of function buttons are not visible but i do my best to hit the swap button and then the phone button which is at the edge of the screen. it doesn't always work but i'm getting better at it with practice. I used to rarely use the built in phone functions (besides voice commands from my contacts) but now I having place calls to a firm with rolling numbers where the quickest way to get through to someone is to call back the number that called u so using center screen phone function makes that easy. if only there was an easy way to get to the phone functions.
I typically just use the right thumb wheel to select recent contacts, quicker than voice commands and easy to see the list without diverting too much attention from the road. Just hit the menu button on the steering wheel and select recent contacts to browse on the instrument cluster.

I'd personally stay with 8.1 because there are some improvements but if I were you I'd be concerned with the counters on your ludy use.

I'm a little bit concerned about this but at the same time I almost never charge over 80% and I very rarely hit over 400kW accel. If it wasn't that I was taking the car to the track a few times a year I could have gotten by with a 90D.

my right thumb wheel controls the sunroof. so much so that when I am talking on the phone and I try to close the sunroof so I can hear the conversation better I sometimes end up hanging up the phone. oops.

ahh the joys of the Tesla user interface..

@Skysurfer: I will try your suggestion later today and see how it goes. (In the wintertime I do not need easy access to the sunroof, but these days said access is nice)

If you were given the option to revert your car back to 7.1, would you?

Yes. The AP1 in 7.1 had more quirks, but was very usable. I'm aggravated every single day by the autohiding/zooming map, the removal of audio source selection as a choice for the right scroll wheel, and at the top of ny hate list, the fact the car grabs my phone's bluetooth and hits play as soon as it connects even though I paused it before getting out. Or, I paused it to make a call, and as soon as the call ends, the car jams the play button without my consent.

Yes, give me back 7.1