Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you get annoyed with negative press ...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not really more chargers for us. If people think EVs are a mistake, they won't put more chargers in their hotels or other facilities. The people who drive EVs believe in them and like them, they aren't going to stop taking chargers that I want to use. If people stop buying EVs, then I won't get the charger buildout I want, so I know there is charging in the places I want to park.

Reactions: thyname
my question is how effective are the misinformation campaigns at changing people's financial decisions? it seems that the rate that Tesla is making stuff is matched at the rate that people are buying Teslas. BYD is also selling very well around the world.

Personally I think they are very effective. Consider these points:
  • Traditional auto tried to make compelling EV's without losing too much money. They failed at both.
  • China nor Norway and others did not experience a slow down when their EV adoption rates hit 10%, why is North America different
  • Since traditional auto needs more time to develop better architectures they need to stall for time and ALL falsely claimed there's a softening demand
  • As consumers read those headlines it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy, they postpone their EV purchases
  • In the background traditional auto (and oil) use lobbying to convince law makers that the public is not ready for EV and funding and incentives should be extended.
Tesla is not immune to this manufactured EV slowdown, Tesla is no longer production constrained.

I’ve been a pilot since I was 16yo, 52 years in September. Talk about something the media doesn’t understand! Even if the reporter understands, they have to dumb in down for the listener. After awhile you sigh and get used to it.

Last week, a Biz Jet made an emergency landing on a highway in Florida after a double engine failure. Aviation Experts, talking heads on the news, said the jet ran out of fuel. Does it look like this aircraft’s fuel tanks are empty?

View attachment 1017400
I've been flying for 33 years. My biggest irritation is that every GA crash is front page, above the fold news. And how many people died in car accidents that day? Not a peep about them!

Articles like this:

I hate to sound like a cynic, but I suspect that if you were to dig into this article, you may find that it was a paid-for hit job funded by someone who has much to gain from declining EV sales...

EDIT:

So... I googled it. I'll just go ahead and copy/paste what came up...

Daniyal Evans is a writer and blogger who covers topics related to electric vehicles and sustainable living. He is the founder of EV Seekers, a blog that provides valuable insights on eco-friendly mobility12. According to an investigation by The Outline, Daniyal Evans is also one of the contributors who have accepted payments in exchange for promoting brands in their articles on prominent publications such as Mashable, Inc, Business Insider, and Entrepreneur3. This is a dubious and unethical practice that violates the editorial standards and policies of these publications.

😬

Last edited:
Reactions: rpiotro and evo9rs
And articles like this one.

When people ask me how long it takes to charge my car, I say "ten seconds. I plug it in in my garage." And when you're on a trip? "Negative 10 minutes, because we usually take more time to eat or get coffee than the charging takes."

View attachment 1017484

My wife and I just talked about this a couple of days ago!

No one, and I mean, no one takes into consideration the "net" amount of time spent refueling a vehicle. We no longer stand outside, in bitter cold or sweltering heat, to pump gas. Sure, we need to stop a bit longer to recharge on the road but the hundreds of hours not wasted pumping gas over the life of the vehicle is a win in my books.

Personally I think they are very effective. Consider these points:
  • Traditional auto tried to make compelling EV's without losing too much money. They failed at both.
  • China nor Norway and others did not experience a slow down when their EV adoption rates hit 10%, why is North America different
  • Since traditional auto needs more time to develop better architectures they need to stall for time and ALL falsely claimed there's a softening demand
  • As consumers read those headlines it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy, they postpone their EV purchases
  • In the background traditional auto (and oil) use lobbying to convince law makers that the public is not ready for EV and funding and incentives should be extended.
Tesla is not immune to this manufactured EV slowdown, Tesla is no longer production constrained.
btw I agree w much of what you said.

I would challenge that the USDM is different, without somehow having different context, and that EV sales would be down purely because Americans are easier to misinform. (although as an American, I suspect Americans are easy to misinform)

I believe that the important piece of context is tax incentives. many OEMs lost their USDM tax credits, in America's domestic production protection and claw back of the GM Ford and Chrysler partnering with China to make their stuff. collaterally, the Kia line of EVs (which I think are great, btw) now has to sell without tax incentives. Kia is not the only OEM that utilizes too much foreign made batteries.

tax incentives are that important! the rich don't get richer by spending their money stupidly - they look for tax incentives, including point of sale rebates, section 179, etc and they finance their activities accordingly.

I hypothesize that the most reliable means to predict who's going to win is to see who essentially partners with the US gov't and aligns production in order to utilize incentives properly. Tesla happens to be one of those OEMs.

Reactions: _TLA_
I've been flying for 33 years. My biggest irritation is that every GA crash is front page, above the fold news. And how many people died in car accidents that day? Not a peep about them!
More so. A fatal aircraft accident six states away makes front page news. How many are killed on Los Angeles freeways? Other than traffic reports nothing is said on the news. Tesla gets the same treatment.

EVs pose a significant threat to the legacy ICE manufacturers. They are going to want to keep producing their profitable, but polluting, gassers as long as they can fool people into buying them.
For them to fight back, is of course to be expected.
This.

Got a quote online on my Accord to get an idea of what it’s worth. Scribbled down my number and filed it away. Received a call later from a human at the dealership pressing me to bring it in for a visual assessment. Asked if I was looking at another Honda I replied ‘Nope. Getting a Tesla.’ Dude got flat out hostile just short of name calling. Hung up on him in mid sentence.

Today I took the wife to a Subaru dealer to poke around an Outback. Hey, it’s her car, she can drive what she wants. Mentioned that we both are car shopping. Wife blurted out ‘He wants a Tesla.’ Sales chick grunted out her sign of disapproval. Totally uncalled for and unprofessional.

What is not helping the situation is pending litigation of Tesla vs The Louisiana Auto Dealers Association. The LADA is basically a cabal whose sole interests are themselves. They have already been sued and lost just to get the one Tesla service center built. The pending litigation is to overturn Louisianas ban on direct sales to consumers. It’s currently with the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals. FWIW the documents list 33 attorneys combined for both sides. Six representing Tesla. Fighting for their survival is an understatement. Search civil case 2:22-cv-02982 if you ever have insomnia.

Reactions: rpiotro and evo9rs
When people ask me how long it takes to charge my car, I say "ten seconds. I plug it in in my garage." And when you're on a trip? "Negative 10 minutes, because we usually take more time to eat or get coffee than the charging takes."

View attachment 1017484
When I was in the USAF I knew a sergeant who was a carpenter. I never knew the AF had carpenter's. He told me when he went home for the holidays he told everyone he was a tail gunner on a B-52.

It worked for the sergeant , never mind the B-52 doesn’t have tail gunners.

Last edited:
Reactions: rpiotro
nice find. I love legal stuff like that. is there a one-sentence brief on what the LADA is arguing?
Helps that my wife is a legal secretary. Looking at the filings it appears that most of them are from every defendant making a motion to dismiss. Isn’t working. By the way I’m not an attorney.

There are so many points to this case. Anti-competive, anti trust, commerce clause. I lost count. But do know that lawyers fees for federal cases can get retarded expensive in a real hurry.

Reactions: evo9rs