Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you get annoyed with negative press ...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was complaining to my wife about all the false, misleading, and negative articles about EVs, and she had a good response:

"More chargers for us."
I’ve been a pilot since I was 16yo, 52 years in September. Talk about something the media doesn’t understand! Even if the reporter understands, they have to dumb in down for the listener. After awhile you sigh and get used to it.

Last week, a Biz Jet made an emergency landing on a highway in Florida after a double engine failure. Aviation Experts, talking heads on the news, said the jet ran out of fuel. Does it look like this aircraft’s fuel tanks are empty?

IMG_1863.jpeg

Yeah, there’s a ton of bad press on EV’s, although it’s not hard to identify legitimate articles vs the propaganda from the competing interests. Actually some of the articles are quite hilarious and entertaining! Although I know they successfully hook some folks.

We have family who have experienced our YP and love it, but are absolutely convinced the battery will not last regardless of what we say. But that’s family for you.

But, yes, more chargers for us! Although it’s hard not to think of more CO2 for everyone at the same time.

The only negative press I see, ironically on an EV forum
That’s true. The anti EV crowd do just that, participate and spread the venom on the EV specific forums. On purpose, targeted, and effective. That’s how trolling works. Probably bad analogy, but think of Covid specific forums and social media sites: that’s where the most staunch antivax characters flocked.

Reactions: AZAV8R
None of this bothers me in the least. There's misinformation purposely put out there on every subject imaginable. Many large corporations, and wealthy influential people have a lot to lose when the ICE becomes extinct. They see this as a fight for survival.

The reality is the price of Tesla M3's dropped last year. Dropped! I can pull up to a supercharger and get a spot on a Saturday afternoon. I'm happy the way things are, knowing that sooner or later more and more people will switch over to EV's.

A friend recently texted me with a link to the 'Latest Tesla Recall'. He thought it was funny, but of course he never read what it was for. I told him Tesla was going to flatbed my car for free, perform the recall repair, and return the car in 3 days. He believed it, and asked me yesterday how it went. I told him it was an OTA update, it happened while I was sleeping. It's incredible to me how many people believe the first thing they hear.

EVs pose a significant threat to the legacy ICE manufacturers. They are going to want to keep producing their profitable, but polluting, gassers as long as they can fool people into buying them.
For them to fight back, is of course to be expected.

Reactions: RSpanner
EVs pose a significant threat to the legacy ICE manufacturers. They are going to want to keep producing their profitable, but polluting, gassers as long as they can fool people into buying them.
For them to fight back, is of course to be expected.
It is astounding to me that Manufactures send EV's to dealerships that have negative publicity towards them. Ford dealers are a case in point in my state.

Reactions: rpiotro
The negative and misleading articles are fairly relentless in the Uk - to the extent Parliament recently had a House of Lords committee complaining about it (like the US senate but unelected - but that does mean you get some Lords with expertise or at the very least an open mind who have no need to chase votes or please the media)

my question is how effective are the misinformation campaigns at changing people's financial decisions? it seems that the rate that Tesla is making stuff is matched at the rate that people are buying Teslas. BYD is also selling very well around the world.

I remember coming up in the Import car world and the arguments always sounded like this…

Domestic Folks: “…Instant Torque [blah blah blah…]”

Import Folks: “…[turbo spool]…[sound]…[top end power]…”

It’s ironic how often I hear the latter arguments about why EVs suck, etc :p. It also absolutely blows their minds when I guess turbo sizes based on sumo numbers, or look at the tread wear rating of the tires in their corvettes and mustangs to know if will beat me or not.

I honestly couldn’t be happier. Every now and then I make car noises when I’m by myself, longing for a hollering 2JZ or Coyote. But I’d be in jail if my car were actually that loud.

my question is how effective are the misinformation campaigns at changing people's financial decisions? it seems that the rate that Tesla is making stuff is matched at the rate that people are buying Teslas. BYD is also selling very well around the world.
My guess: Very effective. "I'd never get an EV because they don't to far and they take too long to charge. Plus they catch on fire!"

True, they are selling fast, but they'd sell faster with more realistic coverage.

Reactions: pnwadventures
my guess is there main nuance is tax incentives. there are enough people that will never have an EV. but there are enough people that are motivated by the personal finance side, as are businesses that see the tax incentives. if there is one thing that is reliable, it is tax incentives.