Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you had the funds for your car today. Budget was 50K. What would you do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see, I like the refresh 90D’s or P90D’s as I think they are both bargains. Owning all the AP systems I have to say you don’t loose anything worthwhile by choosing AP1.
I have seen the vast majority of users on this forum disagree with your opinion. But the 90D/P90D AP1s are a great bargain now, regardless if you believe the AP2 upgrades are worth an additional 10k.

I have seen the vast majority of users on this forum disagree with your opinion. But the 90D/P90D AP1s are a great bargain now, regardless if you believe the AP2 upgrades are worth an additional 10k.
Exactly so many people without knowledge believe whatever they read and then pass it along, just like the clearly debunked unintended acceleration rumors that spread like wildfire.

• Love
Reactions: Marrus
I think you're right, it seems that a lot of the 90's have already got less range than the 85's.

thats only part of it, with p85d you get the plus suspension and nex gen seats front/rear

its clear even on ev-cpo site the fact that p85d/p90d cost about the same.

I see, I like the refresh 90D’s or P90D’s as I think they are both bargains. Owning all the AP systems I have to say you don’t loose anything worthwhile by choosing AP1.

AP1 is great and i do love it as well, i am more so thinking of what AP2 has to offer in the future which will leave AP1 behind(not saying AP1 isnt great still)

thats only part of it, with p85d you get the plus suspension and nex gen seats front/rear

its clear even on ev-cpo site the fact that p85d/p90d cost about the same.

AP1 is great and i do love it as well, i am more so thinking of what AP2 has to offer in the future which will leave AP1 behind(not saying AP1 isnt great still)
Don’t get me wrong, I’m a big Tesla supporter and have purchased quite a few new Teslas and will buy more but I like to be realistic. As far as actual highway travel, lane keeping smoothness, etc, AP2.5 or 3.0 might offer more in the future over AP1 but I believe I will have sold my AP3 car and moved on before that day arrives. If the car you buy today is the last car you will ever have then you have a point and should buy a 2.5 or 3.0 car. I’ve read that unless FSD has already been paid for on a AP2 car (2.5 and 3.0 are different) 2.0 will not surpass AP1. Only the 2.0’s that already pre-purchased FSD will get the upgraded equipment necessary for FSD. My first AP1 car was purchased when AP2 first came out, I had the choice between a really good AP1 system and AP2 that was pretty much nonfunctional for close to a year. Sales kept telling me two and a half years ago that the new system was going to be better, I chose the fully functional system. I’ve since sold that first AP1 car and replaced it with a new one that realistically does nothing that is usefully better, in fact if you buy a brand new car with the standard AutoPilot today it is unarguably a step down from AP1 because AP1 has Summon, auto lane change with signal, plus Speed limit sign recognition which is all lacking in the new base AP system. To get a system to do most of what AP1 does today you need to buy FSD. Today’s newest system is fine but if you get on the road and drive any of the systems it is almost impossible to tell which one you are driving without looking at the minor screen differences.

Last edited:
On my test drive with a new S I had an unexpectedly honest rep and he told me exactly the same about AP. After a while of messing around the highway he said that basically AP1 would do everything I tried exactly the same.

Interesting thread.

I have a White, 2017 Model X with 29K miles. It has EAP, Transferable Supercharging for life, seats 5 and AP2. Going to sell it soon for tax reasons and buy a new Raven. About what is is worth?

It has been a wonderful, trouble free vehicle, but I can pick up some fresh Section 179 deductions if I upgrade this year.

I'd be looking for a P85D. Good deals from both Tesla & private in that price range. If getting private I'd make sure it has at least 2 years of warranty remaining, and if it did, I'd take private over buying from Tesla. At that range, you can look for a car with about 50k miles on it.

Just curious why you're worried about mileage. With a gas engine car, mileage was a major indicator of how much engine life there might be remaining, but with a Tesla, there are no pistons wearing out cylinders, no oil pumps to fail, no filters clogging, so... number of miles tells you nothing about how long an electric motor may continue to function. On that point, how many people have a refrigerator that was replaced by a new kitchen unit and relegated to the garage? It just keeps on running, keeping the drinks cold, handling overflow. Electric motors don't just die at 100,000 miles like gas engines and transmissions with nearly a thousand moving parts.

My cars have over 90,000 miles on them. Are they ready for the trash bin? Do they smoke and stink up the garage? Do I need to put in special products to reduce leakage and oil burning? Simple answer, No. A car with 100,000 miles on it is still in nearly new condition. The ONLY factor is battery warranty, which is eight years, which means I will get over 200,000 miles on my cars before warranty expires, and THEN, I'll just keep driving. No oil changes, no filters, NO TRIPS OT THE DEALER for maintenance, because there is none.

Yep. I have owned Tesla for about seven years. Aside from going to the dealer to pick up my car, I have never been back. I have never been to a mechanic or a shop, never needed oil changes every 5000 miles, never worried about messing up my garage changing oil or worried about disposing of the hazardous waste.

Yeah, 50,000 miles and it's wasted. Right.

P3D- aka sleeper aka stealth model 3 is the best option and what I bought. I actually think it feels roomier then the model s when driving it (6’2 190lbs). I was planning on getting a P85D or P90D then drove one and no question the driving dynamics are superior and the fact that it’s a new car with AP3 made me choose it.

Reactions: Big Earl
P3D- aka sleeper aka stealth model 3 is the best option and what I bought. I actually think it feels roomier then the model s when driving it (6’2 190lbs). I was planning on getting a P85D or P90D then drove one and no question the driving dynamics are superior and the fact that it’s a new car with AP3 made me choose it.

It depends on what someone wants from Tesla. For me it's not the best option. I value more a smooth and quiet ride vs driving dynamics...

Coach. I recommend waiting for Model X 100D prices to drop to that level, easily more than a year. Sounds like you need the space and would appreciate the luxury. Do it for your knees; having to open your own door is so plebeian.

The depreciation most owners of new and even CPO vehicles see given Tesla’s rapid innovation cycle is an implicit sore point for many forum members.

i think you misread or i may have been confusing.

hope this is more clear,
P90D facelift/AP2 > P85D nosecone > P90D nosecone
Honestly, the idea about the P90d battery being much worse then a P85d just has to end. Anyone who would pay more for a P85d over a P90d should just do it. But there is no logical and rational reason to do so, all else equal. I personally do not buy the P90-battery issue thing. But each their own....

Don’t get me wrong, I’m a big Tesla supporter and have purchased quite a few new Teslas and will buy more but I like to be realistic. As far as actual highway travel, lane keeping smoothness, etc, AP2.5 or 3.0 might offer more in the future over AP1 but I believe I will have sold my AP3 car and moved on before that day arrives. If the car you buy today is the last car you will ever have then you have a point and should buy a 2.5 or 3.0 car. I’ve read that unless FSD has already been paid for on a AP2 car (2.5 and 3.0 are different) 2.0 will not surpass AP1. Only the 2.0’s that already pre-purchased FSD will get the upgraded equipment necessary for FSD. My first AP1 car was purchased when AP2 first came out, I had the choice between a really good AP1 system and AP2 that was pretty much nonfunctional for close to a year. Sales kept telling me two and a half years ago that the new system was going to be better, I chose the fully functional system. I’ve since sold that first AP1 car and replaced it with a new one that realistically does nothing that is usefully better, in fact if you buy a brand new car with the standard AutoPilot today it is unarguably a step down from AP1 because AP1 has Summon, auto lane change with signal, plus Speed limit sign recognition which is all lacking in the new base AP system. To get a system to do most of what AP1 does today you need to buy FSD. Today’s newest system is fine but if you get on the road and drive any of the systems it is almost impossible to tell which one you are driving without looking at the minor screen differences.

dont get me wrong either, i bought an AP1 car over an AP2 car as well lol i get it and im just saying slight value wise. both systems are great.

Honestly, the idea about the P90d battery being much worse then a P85d just has to end. Anyone who would pay more for a P85d over a P90d should just do it. But there is no logical and rational reason to do so, all else equal. I personally do not buy the P90-battery issue thing. But each their own....

keep in mind i never said anything about battery. my reasoning is that P85D actually has something special like the next gen seats front/rear and plus suspension system. a P90D is basically a stripped down P85D with a little more battery.

Reactions: spy4007