Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Would Compel You To Upgrade to a Future Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let me preface this by acknowledging that this discussion is a 1st world problem of the highest magnitude. I get it.

That aside, as the title asks, I wonder what would compel people to trade in their existing MX for an upgraded version? I posed this question in another thread, but thought it deserved its own attention.

I own a 2022 MXP. With its various shortcomings, it is the best car I have ever owned. Of course there are various things that compel people to get a new car, including wear and tear, battery degradation, things failing, cost of fixing, decreased reliability, overall cost of ownership. While there are a lot of features I'd like to have (matrix lights), most of them would not compel me to upgrade my car. But, there are a few things I'd really like to have, that might actually persuade me to upgrade a perfectly fine car. Off the top of my head, these include:
  • A significant improvement in range (to be defined)
  • A yoke or wheel with a horn in the middle (yes, I think I actually would upgrade the car just for this)
  • *Possibly* steer by wire
    • I am only vaguely familiar with what this is, but if it makes using the yoke easier, I'd be interested, although I am not sure this feature alone would compel to get a new MX
What feature(s) would be compelling enough to get you to upgrade your current MX?

You could buy the yoke today. '24 MX's have the horn button in the middle.

Anything else would probably come to the MX last, like it did with matrix headlights. You might have to buy something other than a Tesla to get more range or drive by wire or wait a really long time.

Reactions: WarpedOne
A fresh $7,500 federal tax credit goes a long way towards making trading up justified.
This is especially true if you live in a state like Colorado that not only has a sales tax discount based on taxable difference (you pay only sales tax on the delta between the purchase price and trade value) but also throws in a $5k EV incentive on top of all of that.

We're debating doing something similar now after less than a year with our 2023 Model Y. We'd likely get a different exterior color (that new Stealth Gray is cool) but other than that, we'd just be going from a MYLR w/20k miles to one with no miles. Due to all of the incentives we'd actually make money on the upgrade too.

I'm waiting about a month since our tags will be do and our premium data expires since we're in no hurry. Hoping that EoQ incentives sweeten the deal as well. We'd consider an X instead of a Y if the white interior color wasn't a price increase (effectively making that single option a $9,500 cost between the $2k and no longer qualifying for the $7,500 federal tax credit) as it currently is. It'll be interesting to see what incentives are introduced across all models over the next few weeks.

Knight Rider edition. Fully interactive conversational X Grok AI, with FSD level 5. I'd be sold if I could tell my car to go pick up the kids for me. Go take yourself to a car wash. Or go stop by Target with the groceries in the trunk. Almost everywhere will dump stuff in the trunk since covid times. Oh, and go pickup grandma from her house 2 hours away, and bring her here. Elon says it could be done, and from what I've seen, Grok AI could be this year, FSD 5 maybe next year.

I hate to say it, but violent crime is currently a consideration for me. Armed carjackings are daily/hourly now, with no consequences. It's stupid, but this past year I don't ever want to wash the X, and make it a shiny object attracting attention from thugs. I know that only Cars that can be resold in Africa are popular. Tesla's aren't great for resale in places with bad power grids, so they don't get stolen as much. Now the Cybertruck that I thought was stupid, is sounding comforting to know my family would be behind bullet proof doors. I'd actually get over the ugly design for the added life saving safety feature.

Last edited:
Knight Rider edition. Fully interactive conversational X Grok AI, with FSD level 5. I'd be sold if I could tell my car to go pick up the kids for me. Go take yourself to a car wash. Or go stop by Target with the groceries in the trunk. Almost everywhere will dump stuff in the trunk since covid times. Oh, and go pickup grandma from her house 2 hours away, and bring her here. Elon says it could be done, and from what I've seen, Grok AI could be this year, FSD 5 maybe next year.

I hate to say it, but violent crime is currently a consideration for me. Armed carjackings are daily/hourly now, with no consequences. It's stupid, but this past year I don't ever want to wash the X, and make it a shiny object attracting attention from thugs. I know that only Cars that can be resold in Africa are popular. Tesla's aren't great for resale in places with bad power grids, so they don't get stolen as much. Now the Cybertruck that I thought was stupid, is sounding comforting to know my family would be behind bullet proof doors. I'd actually get over the ugly design for the added life saving safety feature.

Someone needs to move. We don't have that in ND.

Reactions: X Fan
Our 2022 MYP will be 2 years old come Aug 25th, 2024. We want an X. But am "HOPING" for the following updates.

1. Real Surround View (being 72 we need all the help we can get in tight parking spaces)
2. LFP batteries
3. V2H charging
4. Rear seat armrest on 5 seater like the S
5. Powered FRUNK (this is your TOP OF THE LINE, isn't it)

Any range improvement would be icing on the cake. And we'll fix the rear camber issue if you won't.

We have 28 months before the warrant expires on our MYP (we won't own a Tesla out of warranty). So Tesla the ball is in your court.