Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you were not getting a Model S what would you get

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was waiting for someone to mention Volt,

I would probably be getting a Volt, or a Ford Focus Electric if the range really is a little better than the Leaf (need 10-20 more miles than the leaf for my usual weekend driving). If none of those existed, I'd probably be in the market for a roadster.
[NOT a plug in prius, looking forward to selling my Prius when the S is ready, and looking next for a 4WD/AWD plugin when my Subaru dies]

I'd probably just get a Leaf and then only drive it around town. I'm getting the Model S as a daily driver with the added bonuses that I can see client in other cities, it's fast as hell and is gorgeous. Basically the only thing I'll need my ICE for is towing the Airstream and loads that require maximum interior volume.

I know that this is not a crowd that needs a lot of preaching too, but the EV revolution needs to happen and it needs to happen soon. No other option makes any sense.

If I can't afford the Model S, and this is a distinct possibility, my fall back car is a Chevrolet\Holden Volt.
I have a 160 Km trip every second week-end which most current electric cars, like the Leaf, Focus EV and BMW i won't be able to do.

Actually I am not yet on the Model S waiting list, but it's also far from completely off my mind. The problem is that it might well be too expensive in the end.
So for now I am keeping my BMW 330 CD, and if the Model S really turns out to be out of my price range then I would wait for the 2013 VW Golf VII electric.
Reasons? For one I have to admit to myself that the Model S is completely oversized for my daily commuting. Secondly, for our long range family trips across Germany even the 85kWh Model S doesn't have enough range, so for those we will have to keep our VW Touran anyway. And thirdly, my first car was a Golf III, many in our family drive and have driven VWs and we were all very happy with those, so VW is always a front runner when it comes to deciding about a new car.

I also dont need a new car and would be perfectly ok with not trading in my 2010 Toyota Prius and running it into the ground until something else caught my eye, Maybe a Model X. Nothing on the market has me convinced to to get rid of my Prius (outside of the actual existance of the S), 650 miles per fill-up will do that I guess!! I've noticed a lot of people will be waiting for the 60 battery pack or no air suspension, starting to wonder if I might get my car in Decemberish (P6398 - 85 battery with air suspension and black or tan interior). That would be ridiculously awesome!!

If I weren't buying a Model X, I'd get a Model S. But if I weren't getting either the Model X or S, I'd probably get a Nissan Leaf and keep my 1998 Honda CR-V for longer trips. (The CR-V is so reliable it might well outlive me... And I'm 28 y.o.)

If I lived in the right parts of California, I'd get a RAV4 EV, but of course, that is currently not an option.

After watching WKTEC in 2006 I was totally turned off to petro cars. If not Model S, I would be looking at a Volt or plug-in Prius. However, am not certain I would have purchased one new. Model S will be my first new vehicle after having many "pre-owned" cars over the past 30 years.

Currently I have a Lexus 450h (hybrid), 5 years old, 275.000 km. It works fine. After I get the Model S (Europe Sig 261) I will decide, whether to keep the Lexus for long distance trips when I am in a hurry (it can go 1.400 km in a day - and fast on German Autobahn, Model S can't).

Should I need to replace the Lexus (I would never give up the Model S) I'd choose between the 2013 Mercedes S350CDI (I wonder if I am 'S' addicted) or a beautiful BMW Grand Coupe 640d.

If I had to order a car today I'd have my friend at VW order me a Jetta SportWagen TDI (w/ a manual transmission). That being said, I'm hoping to continue to sock away money until I can (hopefully) reserve a Model S sometime this year.

my current alternative to the Model S is the Renault Z.O.E because of the unique internal 3-phase charger with 43kW charging power. whereas the Model S needs 45 min to power up to 80% SOC, the ZOE can to this at any dump 3-phase 63A or 90% in 1h at 3-phase 32A socket without the need of an expensive quick charger.

Right on. My mind reels at 0-60 times to beat a McLaren (Elon's old ride) a back seat like the 911 and a 400 mile range.
My electric Porsche (a 911) had the little back seats. I got in once, just to see what it would feel like back there. Now, I'm a small guy, 5' 6.5" and back then my weight was around 150, and I literally almost could not get out! Those seats are useless except for very small children. I have been told the reason they have them is that insurance is higher on two-seat cars. When I had the conversion done over to correct the incompetent original job, I had them take the back seats out so the batteries could be arranged better.

I say forget back seats on the Roadster II. (Though I won't be likely to want one anyway since I expect mine to still be just fine.)