Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you were not getting a Model S what would you get

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I might get a Model S, but what I would really love is a European BMW 520ED...it's a full on 5 series but gets about 70mpg. It just irks me that we can't get them in the U.S. Unfortunately it costs big $ to import to the U.S. (because it would kill Detroit, and the EPA might have issues) so I'm thinking about a Model S, or maybe just a TDI of some sort.

It's a funny question. If I were not getting a Model S, I would not get a new car. I would also do my best to avoid getting a used car, though if the cars I'm currently driving collapse I would probably have to.

If I really had my druthers, I'd be getting a streetcar line installed in front of my home and an intercity rail line installed to the neighboring cities... but that is WELL outside my price range, and probably the price range of anyone here. (Think hundreds of millions.) :rolleyes: I can't even afford my own railcar. Compared to that, Model S is cheap! :biggrin:

Basically, I don't like driving, but for various life reasons I'm stuck with it for at least a decade more, and I'm stuck with some relatively long distances with no charging, so cars like the Leaf won't work, and I need to carry quite a bit, so the Roadster didn't work. But I also hate gasoline, and I hate oil changes, and so I have sworn that I will not buy another car unless it is 100% electric. I guess if I weren't getting a Model S I'd be getting a Gen III Tesla.

Basically, I don't like driving, but for various life reasons I'm stuck with it for at least a decade more, and I'm stuck with some relatively long distances with no charging, so cars like the Leaf won't work, and I need to carry quite a bit, so the Roadster didn't work. But I also hate gasoline, and I hate oil changes, and so I have sworn that I will not buy another car unless it is 100% electric. I guess if I weren't getting a Model S I'd be getting a Gen III Tesla.
You could always move to New York City or some other metropolis and do everything entirely by foot or mass transit. I didn't own a car for about a decade, until we had children. It's a nice way to live (and cheaper, too).

I almost certainly would have gotten a Plug-in Prius if I hadn't already ordered and planned on buying the Model S. I would have preferred the Volt (over the Prius, not the S) if had been available with comfortable seating for 5, but as configured it is almost as useless to me as a family vehicle as a motorcycle would be. My Prius was due for trade in 2 years ago and I would have certainly gotten in early on the PIP but for the S.

You could always move to New York City or some other metropolis and do everything entirely by foot or mass transit. I didn't own a car for about a decade, until we had children. It's a nice way to live (and cheaper, too).

I lived in Atlanta for 3 years without a car. And I lived in the suburbs (the close in ones though). 2 Years I lived near a train station, the other I lived in the wasteland of Cobb county. You would be amazed how far you can go on a bicycle if you set your mind to it. But watch out for February, it sucks to ride a bike in 20F degree weather.

I was pretty dependent on bicycles, and I did room with someone with a car.

I've considered it. I have very specific reasons why I can't. At the moment I'm working on a really, really cool project with my Dad. (If it goes into production and works, it will solve the battery problem forever -- and will solve other problems, too.) And he lives here, and he's *not* going to move. I like being near my parents anyway.

So, basically, I'm stuck here for a decade or more. After my parents die, I may well move to a metropolis, but we hope that won't happen for a long time.

P.S. If someone has the money and expertise to build and operate a chip fab, and is willing to not get greedy about intellectual property or corporate control... well, let's just say it's been hard to find investors who don't have a *bad attitude*.

I did replace my 2011 Volkswagen Passat 170 TDI 4-motion DSG with my Tesla Roadster 2.5. 2012 Artic White this May.
I'm so impressed so i have reserved Model S 85kw Performance to replace my wife's 2011 Volkswagen Golf 1,6 TDI.

I drive ca 30.000km each year and passes tollroads minimum twice a day. In Norway EV's do not pay in tollroads, not on ferrys, not in puplic parkingplaces, EV'S do not pay annual roadtax and NO import-tax an NO VAT!!

I will save about 6000 USD every year, only on fuel and taxes!

- - - Updated - - -

I did replace my 2011 Volkswagen Passat 170 TDI 4-motion DSG with my Tesla Roadster 2.5. 2012 Artic White this May.
I'm so impressed so i have reserved Model S 85kw Performance to replace my wife's 2011 Volkswagen Golf 1,6 TDI.

I drive ca 30.000km each year and passes tollroads minimum twice a day. In Norway EV's do not pay in tollroads, not on ferrys, not in puplic parkingplaces, EV'S do not pay annual roadtax and NO import-tax an NO VAT!!

I will save about 6000 USD every year, only on fuel and taxes!

Replaced a 2011 MB E class with my Model S and love it. I drive roughly 25,000 miles annually and so originally planned to keep my last car and buy a fun car for the weekends.
By happenstance, I stumbled across the Tesla gallery in Dallas with my wife who pushed me to explore the car on display. I was in awe and ended up buying one within the week (I searched for and found an inventory car with the specs I wanted and had it shipped to Dallas)!

If not the Model S, I would have bought a 911. But I don't plan on buying another gasoline engine car and instead may put a reservation for the Model X for my wife.

Since this thread has been resurrected, I figure I'll participate.

I sold my 2010 Camaro SS that I had bought new. I figured I wouldn't be needing a car for 6-7 months so I might as well part with it and put the money toward an S85 that I'll be picking up in January.

I will be turning in my 2011 1/2 Volvo XC60 Turbo 6 SUV. A remarkable auto really, with all the features that the new Tesla has, minus the autonimous drive feature.
It gets 21 MPG average city and highway on regular fuel. Not a single problem with this SUV in 48K miles.
Now that I write this... I wonder why I am thinking of replacing it....??