Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you were on the fence about solar now is the time to pull the trigger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in Illinois with cheap electric rates, but maybe the best pro solar programs from the state. I got 3 estimates, 2 were about the same, 1 was $10k higher. Didn't do the Powerwalls, no fair counting $11k of powerwalls comparing prices. Payback is less the 7 years, percentage return on my money is around 5% (depending on if and when I sell the house). I could not afford to have a CD at less then 1%, or a Muni Bond at 1%, when I could get 5%.

Like putting in a new kitchen, solar panels are a home improvement. The stats say you will get 50 to 70% of the price back if you sell the house.

This is a great point, and it may be even better than 50-70% if you account for incentives, tax credits, etc. A 2015 study by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratories found that if you factor in federal, state, and utility incentives, the increase in home value from install solar panels matches the cost of the panels. https://emp.lbl.gov/sites/default/files/lbnl-6942e-fullreport-factsheet.pdf

In other words, the increase in home value on average recaptures about 100% of the true cost of the system to the homeowner, which is pretty amazing.

Findings from the study include:

"Home buyers consistently have been willing to pay more for a property with PV across a variety of states, housing and PV markets, and home types.

Premiums for PV homes are $1.10/watt larger in California than outside of California, but this difference is not statistically significant, and it seems to reflect the net cost of PV systems in each area (Figure 1). Moreover, the findings should provide greater confidence that PV adds substantial value to non-California homes.

Net cost estimates [of installing PV] —which account for federal, state, and utility incentives—seem to be the best proxy for market premiums."​

When people talk about solar not adding value to a house, I scratch my head. When you dig under the surface of this FUD, you see that often what is really being talked about is 20-year solar leases turning off prospective buyers. As they should, being a liability rather than an asset. An owned system on the other hand means little-to-no power bill for the owners, a huge benefit and asset, that requires next-to-no maintenance, that collectively buyers will factor into the price.

• Helpful
Reactions: EinSV
what stats say that? I've seen more data to the contrary
here is an objective sample from a non promotional/trade group site that discusses the impact of installing solar on a home's resale value
Resale value of Solar panels | Zillow
It is pretty bogus to support an argument with a set of chat room comments. You have something valid? You can use The Google and in 5 minutes you would be fairly up to speed.

yeah I have something valid, my own experience with pricing it out for my home and many of my friends who are real estate professionals who tell me that 1. very few homes in this area have installed solar and 2. around here a solar system is more of a detriment to a home than it is an enhancement of value.

I love it when solar panels are compared to a swimming pool, when describing how solar could turn off potential buyers. It's a curious comparison. One thing saves you money every month, the other thing costs money. One thing requires continuous maintenance and upkeep, the other doesn't (barring equipment failures). One thing takes up a huge amount of your yard, the other uses an unused surface of your house.
yeah I have something valid, my own experience with pricing it out for my home and many of my friends who are real estate professionals who tell me that 1. very few homes in this area have installed solar and 2. around here a solar system is more of a detriment to a home than it is an enhancement of value.

Why would it be a detriment to have "Oh btw no power bill" in a listing? Please tell. I would hire another RE agent QUICKLY.

At some point it almost becomes a detriment to NOT have solar in my area. I have noticed the majority of my neighbors (read: market comps) have solar on their homes. Now, I don't know if they are leased systems or not (lease=bad when selling), but at some point my house might be on the market as the only house without solar among the competition. ALL new construction homes since 2011 have solar due to city regulations. So I am competing against those homes too.

That makes it so that solar doesn't really add to the value of my home, but almost becomes required to bring my home up to the neighborhood standards. Like if I was the only house without a dishwasher or something.

• Informative
Reactions: EinSV
I love it when solar panels are compared to a swimming pool, when describing how solar could turn off potential buyers. It's a curious comparison. One thing saves you money every month, the other thing costs money. One thing requires continuous maintenance and upkeep, the other doesn't (barring equipment failures). One thing takes up a huge amount of your yard, the other uses an unused surface of your house.

Why would it be a detriment to have "Oh btw no power bill" in a listing? Please tell. I would hire another RE agent QUICKLY.
ahh there's the rub, in addition to my still having a power bill I have to pay off the installation of the solar system.
what part of the numbers don't work well for me has some of you so confused?