Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

IFTTT or google home/alexa integration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Im sure i saw something on this on the forum, but cant find it for the life of me..

So, i went down a bit of an internet rabbit hole last night. I decided that it would be life changing to have a "smart button" somewhere in the house which unlocks the charging point of my M3. started to look at sites that mention API's and integrations with IFTTT. There was a system mentioned that seemed perfect, but it seems to have disappeared - EVMote.

Anyone got any bright ideas or have i missed something so blindingly simple/obvious??

thanks

Not sure about EVMote, but I have recently set up NFC tags - placed one on my charger to open the port. Tap phone on tag and pop opens the port. Put another one on the actual charger head to stop charging, which allows me to release the charger to put it back. I wanted to put one on the frunk, but haven't got round to it yet.
Thats exactly what I was trying to achieve - can you explain more?

It's very straight forward, I used macrodroid (instead of Tasker) with brought the Tesla plugin. I brought a set of 10 NFC tags of ebay, and it was very easy to set up.

I used the below video as a guide; initially, I wanted to open close the frunk. I was using the UMC which opened closed the port, but after changing to the OHME charger, I used them to open the charge port and still haven't gotten around to do the frunk yet.

If you get stuck let me know, happy to help :)

OMg - thats awesome. I
It's very straight forward, I used macrodroid (instead of Tasker) with brought the Tesla plugin. I brought a set of 10 NFC tags of ebay, and it was very easy to set up.

I used the below video as a guide; initially, I wanted to open close the frunk. I was using the UMC which opened closed the port, but after changing to the OHME charger, I used them to open the charge port and still haven't gotten around to do the frunk yet.

If you get stuck let me know, happy to help :)
Thats awesome - amazing. thank-you!

Reactions: Jez_GB and s88ats
Not sure about EVMote, but I have recently set up NFC tags - placed one on my charger to open the port. Tap phone on tag and pop opens the port. Put another one on the actual charger head to stop charging, which allows me to release the charger to put it back. I wanted to put one on the frunk, but haven't got round to it yet.

I've done the same. I got some of the metal NFC tags which are weather resistant and can be left outdoors and put that on my charger.

Meant to put one on the underside of the boot but decided I'd have my phone to use it and might as well unlock using the latch.

I do want to put in the front bumper for the frunk. Just not willing to take off the inside at the moment. Maybe after I've had it for a month. :)

I've done the same. I got some of the metal NFC tags which are weather resistant and can be left outdoors and put that on my charger.

Meant to put one on the underside of the boot but decided I'd have my phone to use it and might as well unlock using the latch.

I do want to put in the front bumper for the frunk. Just not willing to take off the inside at the moment. Maybe after I've had it for a month. :)
i think the IFTTT was the wrong route for me to disappear down. Tags now ordered and I'm now a happy chap :)

Reactions: Durzel and ElRey

Luckily my charger is an IP rated cabinet (preferred for it to be hidden and locked). Placed my tag inside the cabinet and just tap the top for ir to work.

Yeah, when I saw he took apart the bumper I thought I might as well get the power frunk kit and install that instead. Not too fussed about the boot as it has the latch, but the frunk is a PITA carrying bags and having to get my phone/watch to open it.

Reactions: ElRey
Luckily my charger is an IP rated cabinet (preferred for it to be hidden and locked). Placed my tag inside the cabinet and just tap the top for ir to work.

Yeah, when I saw he took apart the bumper I thought I might as well get the power frunk kit and install that instead. Not too fussed about the boot as it has the latch, but the frunk is a PITA carrying bags and having to get my phone/watch to open it.

Technically he took out the inside of the frunk. That looks easier than taking off the bumber but even that I'm not ready for. Once I do get around to doing it I'm sure I'll be glad I did though. The frunk is a PITA even without carrying bags. Just having to pull the phone out, unlock, open the app.... First world problems I know but...

Im sure i saw something on this on the forum, but cant find it for the life of me..

So, i went down a bit of an internet rabbit hole last night. I decided that it would be life changing to have a "smart button" somewhere in the house which unlocks the charging point of my M3. started to look at sites that mention API's and integrations with IFTTT. There was a system mentioned that seemed perfect, but it seems to have disappeared - EVMote.

Anyone got any bright ideas or have i missed something so blindingly simple/obvious??

thanks
If its for Android use "TASKER" app with the "Tesla Tasker Plugin" - you can program this to do all sorts of things

Such as have your key card open the charge port when you tap it on your phone (if it has NFC on the phone) - Or have a NFC sticker near the charger, when you tap your phone it opens the port for you

Not sure if thats what you are after?

thanks

I started going down a very similar rabbit hole earlier this year, but didn't finish the project (I think I may have mentioned it on here, too). I wanted something that worked like an Amazon dash button, to perform a specific task, like turn on preconditioning. For me, the aim was to avoid having to find my phone and wait for it to boot (no signal here, so it stays turned off 99% of the time), and get back the remote preconditioning feature that had been on my last couple of cars.

My plan was (really still is when I get a few hours spare) to just connect a push button to something like an ESP32, and have it power up, authenticate and access the Tesla API, and just turn on the climate control, exactly like doing it the app. To avoid having to hard code my account login, I was thinking of the button first grabbing the token from my always-on RPi running Teslamate. The reason being that the token only lasts a month, before it has to be re-authenticated and another token obtained, and there is a fair chance that I might not need to use the button for a few weeks.

Almost as useful would be if this functionality could be built in to Teslamate, running on a stand alone system with a hardware interface, like a RPi. Teslamate already does all the authentication stuff, adding a button (or several) to a RPi is a doddle, so in theory it should be possible to make this work somehow.

Reactions: ElRey
I started going down a very similar rabbit hole earlier this year, but didn't finish the project (I think I may have mentioned it on here, too). I wanted something that worked like an Amazon dash button, to perform a specific task, like turn on preconditioning. For me, the aim was to avoid having to find my phone and wait for it to boot (no signal here, so it stays turned off 99% of the time), and get back the remote preconditioning feature that had been on my last couple of cars.

My plan was (really still is when I get a few hours spare) to just connect a push button to something like an ESP32, and have it power up, authenticate and access the Tesla API, and just turn on the climate control, exactly like doing it the app. To avoid having to hard code my account login, I was thinking of the button first grabbing the token from my always-on RPi running Teslamate. The reason being that the token only lasts a month, before it has to be re-authenticated and another token obtained, and there is a fair chance that I might not need to use the button for a few weeks.

Almost as useful would be if this functionality could be built in to Teslamate, running on a stand alone system with a hardware interface, like a RPi. Teslamate already does all the authentication stuff, adding a button (or several) to a RPi is a doddle, so in theory it should be possible to make this work somehow.

The idea of this on a RPi sounds great but way past my skill level.

The button for running functions I could try.

Just as way of feedback - I'm very chuffed

NFC Tags came, i used Tasker (a few quid on the app store) and it was super simple. Brush past the NFC tag on the way outside and a second later the car is opening its charge port or unlocking the port. OK, so not life-changing, but pretty cool for 5 mins work..

thanks for your help. I have to unlock the phone first, but i expect that's probably desired functionality unless someone can recommend a clever way of doing it whilst the phone is locked?

Reactions: s88ats
If you want to use an NFC tag for opening the frunk, but don't fancy dismantling the frunk liner, you can put the NFC tag behind the cover for the tow hitch (it's plastic, so will work). I think Frugal Tesla Guy shows it on YouTube.

I did this on mine, and it works a treat.