Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

IFTTT or google home/alexa integration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve not picked up my M3 yet, but I was hoping to create shortcuts just using Siri with an Apple Watch. So you could just lift your wrist and command e.g. “open the boot” etc - anyone tried that yet?

The Tesla stats app has that ability = ‎Stats: For Model S/X/3/Y

also saw this: ‎Remote for Tesla

Both have ability to use Siri to trigger shortcuts

Update: here’s a video:

and another with the remote app this time:

Last edited:
Reactions: JC100
Any of the NFC tags that are marked as

NTAG215​

will work with your iPhone 12. I have been looking at a few of the third party apps as any that offers commands for what your looking to do can be automated with shortcuts. The Stats app is $44.95 to buy while the other app that looks comparable AutoMate for Tesla is only $0.99 per year. I will try that one first based on the price and all I want to do is automate the frunk and charging door right now.

Am I missing something obvious? If the car is unlocked you can open the charge port by pressing on it.

Having said that, unlocking it would be handy. I currently use the app which is annoying.
If you mean the tags, then tapping them with your phone/ smartwatch would open the port when the car is locked - you won't need the app. However, I've noticed a slight lag in response at times, especially if the cars sleeping.

Works flawlessly when it's online but a PITA when not.

I mean you can press on the charge port cover with your finger, and it opens (when the car is unlocked).

It seems like the majority of the delay with these things generally is the car waking up, and clunking away while it wakes, so it seems like an NFC tag that opens the charge port cover would have to wait for the car to wake anyway, wouldn't it?

I mean you can press on the charge port cover with your finger, and it opens (when the car is unlocked).

It seems like the majority of the delay with these things generally is the car waking up, and clunking away while it wakes, so it seems like an NFC tag that opens the charge port cover would have to wait for the car to wake anyway, wouldn't it?
You certainly can, when it's unlocked. The addition to the tag was to eliminate having to go into the app and then open when locked.

You are spot on and that seems to be the reason why it lags, you can hear it clunking away when it tries to wake up which used to be frustrating. This doesn't happen that often anymore. Mainly because I know not to use it when the cars asleep now lol.

I tend to go for the charger when I return back from a commute and park up - I no longer rush to plug it in as soon as I park up. I settle the kids, unload etc. it frustrated me when it locked and I'd have to go into the app to reopen or open the rear door and press the cover - first world problems eh.

The other time would be to take advantage of Agile, I'd check the app to see what % I'm at, which then wakes it up ready for me to tap it when I go out and plug in - if I need to.

Reactions: Durzel
I'd definitely be interested in a NFC tag setup on my charger handle to unlock the charge port, as it's a pain to manipulate my phone (loading the app, finding the charge port unlock button, etc) whilst I'm holding the charger with my other hand, etc.

The stats app being $44.95 is putting me off, that just seems ridiculous!

I'd definitely be interested in a NFC tag setup on my charger handle to unlock the charge port, as it's a pain to manipulate my phone (loading the app, finding the charge port unlock button, etc) whilst I'm holding the charger with my other hand, etc.

Since I have an iPhone and use hey Siri, I don’t think I need to go as far as NFC tags.
I could just use TeslaStats and set up Siri shortcuts. However, because my Powerwalls share the Tesla app and it’s usually showing them rather than the car, I presume Siri will still operate because it uses TeslaStats.
Anyone been down the Siri shortcut route?

£140 for the fob, which solves this particular problem very elegantly. £140 is a lot, but not as much if you're planning to spend £40 on an app!

Reactions: Durzel
Since I have an iPhone and use hey Siri, I don’t think I need to go as far as NFC tags.
I could just use TeslaStats and set up Siri shortcuts. However, because my Powerwalls share the Tesla app and it’s usually showing them rather than the car, I presume Siri will still operate because it uses TeslaStats.
Anyone been down the Siri shortcut route?
Yep, and it's painfully unreliable. I'd say it works 20% of the time, and there's always a long delay (either for it to work, or for it to tell you "sorry"). So 80% of the time it doesn't actually work (and maybe it works on the 2nd or 3rd attempt, maybe it doesn't work at all) and the 20% of the time it does work you're staring at the screen for 15-20 seconds while it does its thing. Waking up the car via the API is the killer, it's just too slow and unreliable to be useful.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel and Dilly
Yep, and it's painfully unreliable. I'd say it works 20% of the time, and there's always a long delay (either for it to work, or for it to tell you "sorry"). So 80% of the time it doesn't actually work (and maybe it works on the 2nd or 3rd attempt, maybe it doesn't work at all) and the 20% of the time it does work you're staring at the screen for 15-20 seconds while it does its thing. Waking up the car via the API is the killer, it's just too slow and unreliable to be useful.
Thanks for the info that’s saved me a lot of disappointment. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised.

The likely best solution is some kind of home automation integration so that when you leave the house, or are about to leave, you either walk past a sensor or maybe you have a NFC tag next to wherever you keep your house keys.. you tap that, an automation wakes the car up (this takes several seconds whether you use the official Tesla app or anything else), and then unlocks the charge port ready for you to remove the charger and be on your way.

Trying to use NFC tags near the car when its asleep is going to be frustrating, I think. I can't speak for everyone but my car takes a good few seconds while it clunks away before even the Tesla app registers that it's awake and lets you do things. I can even sometimes get "Failed to unlock charge port" errors if I try and do it too quickly.

After further thought, I’ve come to the conclusion that I really don’t want another app that I’ll barely use. Neither Alexa or Siri or my wife take any notice of what I say. I think I’ll sit back and that Elon comes up with improved software interfacing. 😂 For now, I’ll fumble with my phone.
The best I can get from Alexa is ”Alexa, fart rap”
makes me laugh every time 😁