Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm from Goergia and Texas Inventory is looking pretty enticing. Is there any way i can order the MY in Texas, but register it in GA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm from Georgia and looking at a Model Y in Texas inventory, is there any way I can fly out to pick up the car, drive it back, and register it in GA. Will I have to pay sales tax twice? Should I call the location before or after I place the order about Georgia registration?

I'm from Georgia and looking at a Model Y in Texas inventory, is there any way I can fly out to pick up the car, drive it back, and register it in GA. Will I have to pay sales tax twice? Should I call the location before or after I place the order about Georgia registration?
Sales tax is never paid twice. When buying a new never-registered car, whoever you pay sales tax to knows where your are living since they register the car (or give you a temp tag), so they charge you your state's rate and tax it on your behalf to your state.

Upvote 0

But why? Its the most popular car in the world. You can't wait a couple of days or a week for one to arrive in GA?

Upvote 0
I found the price I want on a demo unit in Texas Inventory, that's why im wondering if i can buy in TX and register in GA
Yeah inventory pricing is weird. There are identical cars within 25 miles, one is discounted, the other isn't. I would travel out of state to save near $2,200. How much are demos being reduced?

1690032877692.png

Reactions: GSP
Upvote 0
Yeah inventory pricing is weird. There are identical cars within 25 miles, one is discounted, the other isn't. I would travel out of state to save near $2,200. How much are demos being reduced?

View attachment 958593
I just ordered an inventory Model Y and sat with an advisor at the showroom to look at the details of each car. Turns out that a lot of the deeply discounted ones had HW3. Any HW4 vehicles that had discounts were much lower amounts. We even saw some that were very steeply discounted (like $4-5k) that weren’t listed online (have HW3). For anyone that is ok or wants HW3, they can get a good deal on a new car right now. Any demo cars will list mileage. All other inventory are new with no miles.

Upvote 0
Please share with me how you know where an inventory vehicle is location. Did you just put in a Texas zip code? I was under the impression that the vehicles listed as inventory are not necessarily located at any specific delivery center. If I were you, I'd simply call Tesla and tell them the vehicle you are interested in and ask them to ship it to your location.

Next, if you were able to buy a vehicle as if you're in Texas, Tesla does not collect taxes in Texas. They simply get you a temp tag, mail to you the manufacturer's certificate of origin, a bill of sale, application for title, and speedometer certificate and you have to go down and register it yourself and pay taxes and fees at that time. You also have to complete all paperwork and pay in advance before you can take delivery.

I think for them to sell you one in Texas as if you're a Texan, you'd have to give them a Texas address and your proof of insurance and driver's license would have to reflect that address. If I were you, Texas is the last place I'd want to buy a Tesla from. It's complicated.

On edit: Also, good luck calling the location. I had the phone number for the delivery center in Cypress, TX (Houston). I called it several times trying to talk to someone at that location, ended up talking with people in California and Colorado. I also had a phone number and extension to a Tesla location north of Houston which was given to me in person when I went there to demo a MYLR. I called it a few times and was never able to talk to that person or anyone else at that location, always answered by someone at a phone center.

Upvote 0
I live in Arkansas and Texas makes it impossible to pick up a Tesla there and register in Arkansas. Dealers can license for out of state registration but not Tesla apparently. We had to pickup our inventory car in Memphis even though we live on the Texas border. I even told the Dallas sales folks I could get my own temp tag and bring it with me. Nope. I’d imagine you’ll have similar troubles from GA.

Reactions: Alonzo
Upvote 0