TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

I'm going to wait to order my model 3 (Ontario)

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Heynow999, Apr 1, 2018.

1. Heynow999

Heynow999 Member

I reserved on March 31 2016 and I got the email last week allowing me to configure my model 3. I have decieded to wait a few months before I configure. I am ok with the limmited options that are available right now, but I am concerned about the quality of the first production models and I want to give Tesla a bit of time to work the bugs out.

My worry was about the EV rebate going away because I would not buy it without the rebate. As of today, April 1st, it looks like there might be a minority PC government so the rebate should stay. My plan is to wait until the election, see what happens to the rebate. If it looks like it will be staying I will wait a few more months to see if the quality of the cars seems to be improving. There is no way I would order a car now when they are trying to pump them out as fast as possible. It makes me think of this movie

Gung Ho (1986) - IMDb

• Like x 1
  2. Tony_YYZ

Tony_YYZ Tezler Guru

Best of luck OP!

• Like x 1
  3. Munch

Munch Member

Someone with more political knowledge than me should chime in, but I don't think having a minority government would ensure that the rebate stays. Sure they might not be able to kill the cap and trade program, but ending a program like the rebate doesn't have to be voted on at Queen's Park, I would think.

4. sakimano

sakimano Active Member

It means the PC party, if in power, would not have enough votes within their party to change the program. They would need support from members of the liberals or NDP (which they might get...many think the $14k is far too high and think something like $6000 or 7500, ideally at a federal level, would be more appropriate).

I sure wouldn't base major financial decisions on polling data though lol. If you did that in America or Britain in 2016 you'd be SOL.

5. Munch

Munch Member

I agree, you shouldn't make any decisions based on polling data, although it's understandable given that there are people deciding whether or not to get LR+PUP now or wait for SR or AWD but still want the rebate.

The question I was trying to raise was whether cancelling a rebate is an item which would require a vote by the MPPs. New budgets have to be. But some decisions don't, like the new rebate rules that got put into place last month where they removed the S and X off the list. So regardless of a minority/majority PC government, the rebate still might go away.

6. ebatmobile

ebatmobile Member

It would not require a vote. it is simply cancelling a program. Minority or majority the sitting govt could do it. Members vote on new laws not program modifications.

7. Tempino

Tempino Member

Hi there,

Neo1974 made the below quote in another thread which ultimately helped me with a similar dilemma to yours. Hope this also helps you somewhat if you're in Ontario. I ended up placing my order.

8. inottawa

inottawa Member

Came here to quote the same.

9. Heynow999

Heynow999 Member

Thats very interesting. I didn't think there was a limit to the EV rebate, I thought they just kept the program going until the Government felt that was enough. I'm going to make some calls Tuesday and see if I can get an answer.
    I am surprised that many EV's have been sold in Ontario when several manufacturors will literally not sell you one (Ford FFE and GM Bolt)

10. ebatmobile

ebatmobile Member

The data is flawed as it assumes all prior quarters had the same # of sales as the quarter it was pulled from. My expectation is they would be less and therefore leaving more $ in the program fund. That being said with the model 3 out now sales should ramp quickly provided folks are not waiting for awd.

11. Neo1974

Neo1974 Member

Actually, it assumes the # of sales in prior two quarters (Q1’17, Q2’17) is below the “central” quarter Q3’17 in the same amount that sales in the subsequent two quarters (Q4’17, Q1’18) are above the central quarter. The Fleetcarma article actually displays a graph with total Ontario EV Sales for Q1 and Q2 2017. I had a look at this indeed to make my assumption. I certainly don’t pretend to certainty, but, clearly, with the funds announced for the EV program, the risk is very real it will be fully subscribed anytime between now and this fall.

• Informative x 1
  12. Flexbomb

Flexbomb Member

Is that true? They can just kill the program even with a minority government?

13. tombar

tombar Member

Most likely "yes", just like they adjust the program from time to time, e.g.recently changing the EV qualifications to cut off any EV with MSRP of over $75K (eliminated rebates for Model S & X). It just takes the minister of transportation and/or finance to give the order and have public communication of effective dates, no legislation required. This is not likely the type of change that would cause a vote of non confidence to bring down a just elected government...