Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm not really into scooters..but decent speed and range here

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Vectrix to Launch Electric Maxi-Scooter in November
23 October 2006
Vectrix
The Vectrix Maxi-Scooter.

Vectrix has announced that it will launch its high-powered electric Maxi-Scooter (earlier post) during the 64th International Motorcycle Exhibition in Milan in November.

The Maxi-Scooter combines a 3.7 kWh Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) battery pack and a 20 kW electric motor that delivers 65 Nm (48 lb-ft) torque. The battery pack is designed for up to 1,700 full charging cycles. Recharge time is about two hours.

The scooter also uses a throttle-activated regenerative braking system to capture some of the braking energy. The all-digital throttle also controls a slow-speed reverse function.

The scooter offers a top speed of 62 mph and a range of about 68 miles (110 km) at 25 mph (40 kph). Acceleration from 0-60 mph takes 5.8 seconds.

The company is using the core design to support the development of fuel-cell hybrid and three-wheel models of the scooter as well.

Assembly of 50 pilot scooters began this summer in the New Bedford, MA facility, which has a production capacity of 12,000 units per year. Vectrix plans to shift full-scale production to Wroclaw, Poland by the end of the year. That plant has a capacity of 38,000 units per year.

(A hat-tip to John!)

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2006/10/vectrix_to_laun.html#more

There is one problem - price. It is rumored to cost between 8k in 12k USD. For that kind of money you cannot sell just another scooter. It should have some additional features common scooters don't have. Electric motor on itself is not enough.

Tesla for example is not making just an electric car. It is making a great sports car that just happens to be electric.

By way of comparison, the most expensive Honda scooter (Silver Wing ABS) lists for $8,500.

The Suzuki Burgman 650 Exec lists for $7,800.

It seems that Vectrix are aiming to sell the "Rolls Royce" of scooters. If they keep it close to $8,000 mark it should be competitive with other high-end maxi-scooters. If it's closer to $12K that's going to be a lot more questionable in the marketplace.

Yes, too bad about the price because scooters are very popular in most of southern Europe. I'd really like to see electric scooters being used, the scooters now pollute about as much as a car, plus they make so much damn noise...

Does anybody know of any other electric scooters solutions?

edit: and why did they go with NiMH batteries and not Li-Ion? Only 1 700 charging cycles and less powerful than Li-Ion..... ???

I am rather surprised by these comments about the Vectrix, given that this is a forum dedicated to a 100K sports car that is rather minimalistic in its finish. These are the exact same types of comments that the Tesla garners on "car" sites.

Comparing the Honda Silverwing to the Vectrix is very much like comparing my 03 MB SLK32 AMG to the Tesla and saying that the Tesla is way too expensive and doesn't stand a chance. Sure the SLK may be slightly behind the Tesla at 60 mph but it will pass it soon after and leave it far behind. The 55K price was much less and the interior amenities are better than the Tesla's. The electrically retractable hard top is great and I suspect the overall fit and finish is superior to the Tesla's as well. Only problem is it burns gas!

2 years ago after buying my Lexus 400h and experiencing limited electric driving and due to the reading I was doing, forming a strong opinion against the massive addiction to oil our country has, I promised myself that I would not buy another new vehicle that could not be plugged in and be able to drive a reasonable number of miles without starting an ICE.

I certainly look forward to driving my Tesla by this time next year but, after having the opportunity to test drive a Vectrix a few weeks ago I also very much look forward to doing a very significant portion of my driving on electricity alone starting in a week or so when I receive it!

And as far as scooters go, it doesn't look half bad!

Vectrix.jpg

Below are a few of the items from their specs. Many of the items I believe are big name Italian manufacture. The drive train is basically a hub motor/planetary gear mounted on the rear wheel.

Braking Patented multi-function throttle (DAaRT™) provides regenerative braking and slow-speed reverse
Front and rear Brembo disc brakes
Tires Pirelli: GTS23 120/70-14 (Front) and GTRS23 140/60 13 (Rear)
Fork Marzocchi Telescopic Fork
Suspension Sachs Twin Shocks
Motor Type Brushless DC, radial air-gap motor
Gearbox Integrated rear-wheel mounted planetary gear drive

Both front and rear wheel diameters are the same as the Honda Silverwing

Now do a little price comparison to put things in perspective.

2007 Corvette Z06 LZ1        69,175
2008 Tesla Roadster           98,000

Tesla Roadster = 41.6% Premium over faster more powerful ICE car with more luxurious passenger amenities

2007 Honda Silverwing ABG      8,495
2007 Vectrix                          11,000

Vectrix = 29.4 % Premium over faster more powerful ICE scooter with comparable amenities

I have a hard time understanding why this is so much worse than the Tesla Roadster.

There are early adopters that will pay a "premium" to be the first to have an "electric" car - bike - scooter.

A Lotus Elise is $46,270 a Tesla is $ 98,000 over double the money that is the comparison. An Elise does 0 to 60 in 4.9 with a 0 to 100 in 12.9 and a top speed of 150 mph and weighs 1,960 lbs.

Comparing a Z06 to a Tesla Roadster is not accurate, the Z06 is in a different league.

Scooters are ideal in a "inner city / urban application".....and for that application one gets a Vespa....which has an incresed cool factor.

I agree that the Corvette / Tesla comparison isn’t exactly the same league but it is a very similar comparison to the Silverwing / Vectrix comparison. I was using these to make the point that the Tesla electric premium is greater than the Vectrix electric premium.

The other important thing to remember is that the Maxi-Scooter is not at all the same thing as the Vespa (See photos below). They require a motorcycle license to operate and when people see them they think motorcycle not scooter. The distinction is the drop down in front of the seat instead of the raised fuel tank of the typical motorcycle. The Honda Silverwing (and the Vectrix) are scaled down versions of the Honda Goldwing touring motorcycles which run anywhere from 20K to 25K base price. Maxi-Scooters are full size 2 passenger vehicles with locking luggage compartments (under the seats). The Silverwing and Vectrix are within 20 lbs of each other, The wheelbase is only 2 3/4" greater on the Honda and they share the same wheel diameters.

Vectrix
vectrix2.jpg

Honda Silverwing
Silver_Wing.jpg

Vespa
vespra.jpg

When I rode in the Roadster it (surprisingly) reminded me of being in a Corvette.
I think the following caught me by surprise:
* Similar very low seating position with high door sills
* Similar front hood profile looking towards the road
* Similar Targa-Top roof configuration
* Similar handle-less doors
* Similar off the line torque like a big V8
* Similar responsive steering turn-in
* Lightweight body (Carbon Fiber/Plastic/Fiberglass) that has a certain vibration and sound that is a little unlike a metal bodied car.

Before riding in the Roadster I hadn't even considered them (aside from 0-60) in the same thought...
corvette9wz.jpg

34-tesla-roadster.jpg

I know the Corvette is a bigger, heavier, gas guzzling, front-engined anti-Tesla, but there are some similarities.