Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm too stupid to understand SGIP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Step 1,2,3,4,5? Over-subscribed? Utility-based?

Is there any hope for anyone getting a rebate on a Tesla installed powerwall this year? From reading the forum I think no, but I cannot work out if PG&E has another bucket?

Short answer, plan not not getting any SGIP at all on a tesla installed powerwall, full stop.

Reactions: bkp_duke
We ordered our Solar/PW system on 1/4/20 and asked about being put on the SGIP list. Told even then it was iffy. We asked recently about what chances are and unless there are cancellations not realistic to expect. I believe we were told there were like 600 applications available that were parceled out to Tesla. There were already people on the waitlist and any extra were assigned within either hours or a day or two of release. Given it’s already February I’d say chances for anyone new to get on the list are even slimmer if non-existent. California thanks to the safety shutdowns has a lot of solar being installed and I guess not surprised only 600 applications would be eaten up quickly. Wouldn’t hurt to ask your Tesla Energy contact though for confirmation.

Other installers will have their own allocation of SGIP applications however so that may be a consideration. I understand from posts on here though that their install prices are higher than Teslas and pretty much end up equaling the SGIP amount. Given that, we just decided to keep the money in Tesla. If something goes wrong also figure we’d rather have Tesla standing behind the work than some unknown install company. I’m sure there are plenty of quality installers out there who have done hundreds/thousands of them but after seeing how roofing companies have gone out of business over the years we just felt better going this route.

There is a $1K Wildfire Power Outage Incentive (if you live in a PG&E safety shutdown area--is SF included?) and a Solar/Powerwall Bundling Discount of $2,500 (think depends on the size system you can install). Tesla applied those credits to our invoice, no application to fill out. Should be some Federal IRS credit down the road on your taxes I would think, like for installing windows and insulation etc, but I'd check with your tax preparer on that.

I have heard that some people who had Powerwalls installed by Tesla in 2019 have been contacted by Tesla to get SGIP rebates in Step 6 and 7. E-mail came in and said something to the effect of, e-sign this paperwork ASAP because your place in the queue will be determined by when we receive your completed paperwork.

So, I don't expect there to be any SGIP left for people who have not been installed yet. Tesla is sure to have more than enough backlog of existing installs.

Tesla told us they cannot help us with SGIP if we want them to install the Powerwalls to retrofit our non-testa solar 10kW system. They recommended to go to their recommended third party installers instead. We found two close by that both were able to get us onto the SGIP and advised us that a three-powerwall system is almost the same cost after SGIP and ITC as the two-powerwall system we had originally planned for, because it is a different easier to get step-2 with $0.29/Wh instead of the waiting list step-3 with $0.25/Wh that may or may not get additional funding soon.

Tesla told us they cannot help us with SGIP if we want them to install the Powerwalls to retrofit our non-testa solar 10kW system. They recommended to go to their recommended third party installers instead. We found two close by that both were able to get us onto the SGIP and advised us that a three-powerwall system is almost the same cost after SGIP and ITC as the two-powerwall system we had originally planned for, because it is a different easier to get step-2 with $0.29/Wh instead of the waiting list step-3 with $0.25/Wh that may or may not get additional funding soon.

Did you check exactly what they (third party installer) ment by "its almost the same price for 3 as it is for 2 (meaning, what is their price for 2, and their price for 3)? When I was looking, if one did the math vs what tesla charges, the third party installer was getting the SGIP, not me.

meaning, Tesla's installed price was 18,300 for (2) powerwalls, and the third party installers price was 22k for 2 powerwalls but was saying they could get the SGIP... which brought their price down to.... about 18,200 dollars or so after the SGIP was factored in. Same with 3 powerwalls. The third party powerwall installers were like "we charge 11k per powerwall, so 3 powerwalls is 33k but you qualify for the larger SGIP rebate, so your installed price is XX,XXX" (which was basically the same price as tesla charged for 3 powerwalls).

Now, third parties may get it done faster, as tesla is swamped, and may have better customer service, but raw dollars was not much different between the two, meaning that you paid more up front with a third party to "get it back" later with SGIP, making the price = to what tesla charged without that.

Maybe thats changed? I kind of doubt it but you should look at it carefully, if price is the driver vs "I can get it done now because tesla isnt installing until at least the fall".

Did you check exactly what they (third party installer) ment by "its almost the same price for 3 as it is for 2 (meaning, what is their price for 2, and their price for 3)? When I was looking, if one did the math vs what tesla charges, the third party installer was getting the SGIP, not me.
The SGIP goes to you. Installers typically do the paperwork for you because its complicated and you want to eliminate the risk of it being denied. Shop around for honest installers that don't try to capture the SGIP for themselves.

Reactions: ra88it
The SGIP goes to you. Installers typically do the paperwork for you because its complicated and you want to eliminate the risk of it being denied. Shop around for honest installers that don't try to capture the SGIP for themselves.

I dont think you are understanding me. Of course it goes to you... but what was the price your third party installer is charging, exactly?

I dont think you are understanding me. Of course it goes to you... but what was the price your third party installer is charging, exactly?

I see what you mean. I had that issue back in 2015 when I was shopping around for solar. Tesla/Solarcity as well as the other big three I talked to all had it priced in. I then found a smaller third party local installer that was not as greedy and got a much bigger system at a lower price.

2020 now when I got the three-powerwall system, I also got a similar quote from one of the third party installers, but two from smaller local ones that were much more reasonable, quoting a three-powerwall system well below $40k before incentives, much less than $20k after incentives.

I see what you mean. I had that issue back in 2015 when I was shopping around for solar. Tesla/Solarcity as well as the other big three I talked to all had it priced in. I then found a smaller third party local installer that was not as greedy and got a much bigger system at a lower price.

2020 now when I got the three-powerwall system, I also got a similar quote from one of the third party installers, but two from smaller local ones that were much more reasonable, quoting a three-powerwall system well below $40k before incentives, much less than $20k after incentives.

Dont count the Federal tax credit when you are looking at cost from third party vs cost from tesla... because the tax credit is a separate thing that we, the end user, apply for. Alternatively, one has to price it in for both.

What I am interested in, is the 3 powerwall price from your third party before any incentives.

Tesla price direct for 3 powerwalls = 6500 per powerwall = 19,500 + gateway = 1100 + Installation = 4000 + taxes. I am not counting any incentives at all in that number. thats 24,500 + tax, not counting the 26% Federal Tax credit. Net cost before tax = 18,100 ish. I suspect that, when you look at your third party quote thats "well below 40k pre incentives" and then subtract SGIP and Federal tax credit (which must be subtracted on the POST SGIP amount, so it does not come off that "under 40k price" but off the "under 40k - sgip rebate" price), you will find that the price is likely very close to what Tesla's net install price is.

Said another way with less text, if your net price is around 18,100 after your rebates on the third party intallation, after SGIP, that effectively means the third party installer is getting it, or if you dont like to think of it that way, The price of the third party is Net within a few hundred dollars NET of teslas pricing, but the third party may have availability while tesla doesnt currently.

Dont count the Federal tax credit when you are looking at cost from third party vs cost from tesla... because the tax credit is a separate thing that we, the end user, apply for. Alternatively, one has to price it in for both.

What I am interested in, is the 3 powerwall price from your third party before any incentives.

Tesla price direct for 3 powerwalls = 6500 per powerwall = 19,500 + gateway = 1100 + Installation = 4000 + taxes. I am not counting any incentives at all in that number. thats 24,500 + tax, not counting the 26% Federal Tax credit. Net cost before tax = 18,100 ish. I suspect that, when you look at your third party quote thats "well below 40k pre incentives" and then subtract SGIP and Federal tax credit (which must be subtracted on the POST SGIP amount, so it does not come off that "under 40k price" but off the "under 40k - sgip rebate" price), you will find that the price is likely very close to what Tesla's net install price is.

Said another way with less text, if your net price is around 18,100 after your rebates on the third party intallation, after SGIP, that effectively means the third party installer is getting it, or if you dont like to think of it that way, The price of the third party is Net within a few hundred dollars NET of teslas pricing, but the third party may have availability while tesla doesnt currently.

In our case Tesla direct had quoted us $21k without incentives for two home batteries including all material and labor. Which is only $3k less than what I am currently paying for three after SGIP and before ITC. .

This could be out of context but I would like to mention something that just recently happened to me this morning, I was text this morning by Donna my Tesla coordinator that I needed to docu sign for the final step in the SGIP application process (step 5 incentive rate) , two attached documents (ICF Incentive Claim Form and Project Cost Affidavit) was signed , I purchased my one Powerwall last year in June , at that time I was not promised any SGIP for my purchase but because I wanted this to lower my carbon foot print to save energy it was a no brainer to me. Tesla cannot quaranty any state rebates or federal ITC , my only suggestion is Tesla is hands down the way to get this done , they will do everything for you to assist you in getting the SGIP If at all possible, the Tesla car model 3 ramp up production last year was the only delay on my installation process but once I was contacted and scheduled the installation it was done with perfection, the COVID-19 pandemic we are experiencing shows us all how clean our Bay Area can be when no vehicles are polluting our environment, take a closer look at your conscious and not your pocketbook, do it for your kids our grandchildren that will be here way more than us, let’s do our part so they can continue do theirs.

BTW note that effective 3/1/2020, there is a new CA SGIP Equity Resiliency program available. Specifically you need to live in an officially designated high fire threat zone (like areas affected in NoCA and SoCA in the past few years), and have experienced at least 2 Public Safety Power Shutoffs (like last year). Then you either need to meet income/financial limits (...probably hard for most Tesla folks) or you are already getting or qualify for a Medical Baseline credit on your utility bill (you require medical equipment at home like an oxygen concentrator or CPAP unit). Yes, lots of hoops, but if you qualify, then you are moved 'to the head of the line' for the new funds. YMMV.

The Tesla installed Powerwall or any other battery storage manufacturers are qualified for the federal ITC , if your tax or financial consultant can enter it on your taxable income, so it all depends on your personal income, so Tesla cannot quaranty the SGIP of course because it’s run by the state, or the ITC (which is base on your federal income), sorry for the confusion.

BTW note that effective 3/1/2020, there is a new CA SGIP Equity Resiliency program available. Specifically you need to live in an officially designated high fire threat zone (like areas affected in NoCA and SoCA in the past few years), and have experienced at least 2 Public Safety Power Shutoffs (like last year). Then you either need to meet income/financial limits (...probably hard for most Tesla folks) or you are already getting or qualify for a Medical Baseline credit on your utility bill (you require medical equipment at home like an oxygen concentrator or CPAP unit). Yes, lots of hoops, but if you qualify, then you are moved 'to the head of the line' for the new funds. YMMV.
This is a really good incentive if you qualify. The incentive is $1 per Wh of storage so it comes out to $13,200 per Powerwall for up to two Powerwalls (10kW or under power output limit for small residential). So you can get two Powerwalls installed for free. PG&E started accepting applications May 1. The requirement is you live in a Tier 2/3 High Fire threat District OR you have had 2 or more Public Safety Power Shutoffs; and you meet the income/financial limits or the medical criteria OR ARE ON AN ELECTRIC POWERED WELL. Being on a well is what allowed me to bypass the financial/medical criteria.

This is a really good incentive if you qualify. The incentive is $1 per Wh of storage so it comes out to $13,200 per Powerwall for up to two Powerwalls (10kW or under power output limit for small residential). So you can get two Powerwalls installed for free. PG&E started accepting applications May 1. The requirement is you live in a Tier 2/3 High Fire threat District OR you have had 2 or more Public Safety Power Shutoffs; and you meet the income/financial limits or the medical criteria OR ARE ON AN ELECTRIC POWERED WELL. Being on a well is what allowed me to bypass the financial/medical criteria.

...forgot about the well qualification...