Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Impact of 4680 cells?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pana
I can post photoshop pictures of batteries with my name on them, claim to be a converted ecology sinner, and be lauded by a fawning Green Media too.

Panasonic is no closer to manufacturing 4680 batteries than Tesla, and Tesla is still unable to make them at commercially viable rates.
Tesla reporters claim they're getting 70-80% yields at the Kato Road facility (Roadrunner), which is well short.
Recycling costs of the 20-30% rejects kills any profit.
It's been 14 months since "Battery Day". The 'engineering issues' remain unsolved.

The supply of Tesla 4680 batteries is only what has been cherry-picked from test runs at Kato Road.
Meanwhile, Panasonic says they're gonna start testing sometime after March 2022, and Panasonic/Tesla Nevada won't start up production until much later.

Useless media dribble for clickbait revenue only.
Check your sources, they are either wrong or stale. Are we to believe some random person on the internet spouting useless dribble, or many sources that spout good news?

Pana
Check your sources, they are either wrong or stale. Are we to believe some random person on the internet spouting useless dribble, or many sources that spout good news?
I'm not sure the Teslarati article supports your point, if Tesla is 'preparing to make the machines that make the batteries'... Inching forward indeed...

Pana
Your points are no better than what you claim mine to be.

Either way, Tesla hasn't got 4680 production up to speed, 14 months after "Battery Day".
Proof of that?

Witness the PILES OF CASTINGS visible on flyover videos of Fremont. There are literally thousands.
The same is true at Austin. The 3 casting machines are cranking out both Front and Rear castings, then stored inside the building after sitting outside (which is how we know).

It's clear that Tesla is gearing up for the new MY build.
It's just as clear that poor supply of 4680 batteries is holding up the parade. That includes CT and Semi delays.

And so the original point of BS Media reporting on batteries is validated.