Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Impact of aftermarket wheels on service and/or trade-in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know there's at least one recent thread about Tesla denying warranty for a suspension issue due to aftermarket wheels "different in size from OEM".

Wondering how common this kind of thing might be, or if anyone has experienced Tesla refusing to do certain things like alignment because of that.

Also, has anyone run into issues when trading in to Tesla with aftermarket wheels? Do they refuse, or deduct the cost of replacing wheels?

Basically, trying to decide if swapping to aftermarket wheels is worth the hassle, and whether it's best to keep the original wheels in the garage just in case (which would also be a hassle).

I didn't have any problems having Tesla replace a sway bar link or an air damper when I went in with my 20" wheels.

Alignment has nothing to do with the wheels on the car.

I use my aftermarket wheels with summer tires and I keep my original wheels for winter and resale.

I know there's at least one recent thread about Tesla denying warranty for a suspension issue due to aftermarket wheels "different in size from OEM".

Wondering how common this kind of thing might be, or if anyone has experienced Tesla refusing to do certain things like alignment because of that.

Also, has anyone run into issues when trading in to Tesla with aftermarket wheels? Do they refuse, or deduct the cost of replacing wheels?

Basically, trying to decide if swapping to aftermarket wheels is worth the hassle, and whether it's best to keep the original wheels in the garage just in case (which would also be a hassle).
Trade-in value will decrease significantly. When I traded in an M3P for the plaid, I sent them photos with aftermarket wheels installed on accident. Then I told them I had the OEM wheels, they had me resubmit photos and the trade-in value went up $2000 with the OEM wheels back on.

What size are your wheels? 22s?

No, thinking about going from 19" Tempests staggered on a Model S long range to 20" TSportline TS5s, square setup.

I wouldn't worry about it then. Tesla gave me some trouble when I put 22's on my Model S back years ago because they were too big (yeah, in hindsight they were too big). But Tesla sells 20" wheels....you're not doing anything that would void a warranty of any kind.