Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Impressed with NoA in fog

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An early evening drop-off in atrocious weather was later followed up by a late evening pickup in the aftermath.

Whilst I didn't AP in the former due to large amounts of standing water, I used AP/NoA for parts of the pickup run.

The heavy earlier rain was causing misting then heavy fog for the late evening trip. For anyone that knows, Hogs Back quickly descended into 50m visibility. Outward trip, I had car taillights to follow, but return I was mostly on my own.

On heightened level of awareness, I was super impressed with AP capabilities in this weather. It seemed to have a much better grasp of things than I did and felt much more comfortable on AP than had I been driving myself.

My son grabbed a few dash cam shots so I will recover those later today.

A bit of a hic-up on return trip though, when both myself and NoA missed its junction so there was a bit of sudden manual braking and last minute takeover - there are two junctions in quick succession coming off Hogs Back and I missed the first so ignored the correct turnoff until almost too late. We did make it, just, but under manual control. I need to review the footage to see why NoA was not more assertive - the junction was clear of fog, but I suspect the first was not so clear. And as fog was clearing by then, I think we had just been caught by a car who took the turn.

An early evening drop-off in atrocious weather was later followed up by a late evening pickup in the aftermath.

Whilst I didn't AP in the former due to large amounts of standing water, I used AP/NoA for parts of the pickup run.

The heavy earlier rain was causing misting then heavy fog for the late evening trip. For anyone that knows, Hogs Back quickly descended into 50m visibility. Outward trip, I had car taillights to follow, but return I was mostly on my own.

On heightened level of awareness, I was super impressed with AP capabilities in this weather. It seemed to have a much better grasp of things than I did and felt much more comfortable on AP than had I been driving myself.

My son grabbed a few dash cam shots so I will recover those later today.

A bit of a hic-up on return trip though, when both myself and NoA missed its junction so there was a bit of sudden manual braking and last minute takeover - there are two junctions in quick succession coming off Hogs Back and I missed the first so ignored the correct turnoff until almost too late. We did make it, just, but under manual control. I need to review the footage to see why NoA was not more assertive - the junction was clear of fog, but I suspect the first was not so clear. And as fog was clearing by then, I think we had just been caught by a car who took the turn.

Before anyone asks, what did NoA have to do with this over and above AP. The answer lies in the outward leg when it indicated and slowed for my turn off before I took over. AP also seems more capable when on NoA.

Last edited:
NOA is available on the earlier halfway house of EAP and now only with FSD.
Personally I don't like it. The limitiation UK of having to accept an overtake offer and the failure of the system to anticipate far enough ahead means that it's sort-of OK in light traffic but I find it scary and inefficient in busy stuff. You can imagine tthe common scenario of a nose-to-tail queue of lorries and slow stuff for a full mile ahead of a junction that with manual driving you have to signal.observe driver response for and either bluff them out to get into a gap or do a sudden acceleration to slide into a nominal gap or when really busy just join the back of the queue a mile before the junction. NOA doesn't handle that. And also you need to watch the screen more for a suggested overtake and accept it. I find it simpler to just use autosteer and use 1st detend indication when i want an overtake wth the added security of the system for any blind spots.

Reactions: Roy W.
Rear view camera pants but others doing a good job.

upload_2019-11-24_9-2-6.png

I find it simpler to just use autosteer and use 1st detend indication when i want an overtake wth the added security of the system for any blind spots.

So NoA or manual lane change? Is it doing the lane change on its own, or are you dropping out of AP, manually steering the lane change, then reengaging AP?

I'm not a fan of its lane change suggestions so even when unconfirmed lane changes become available in Europe I will, at this level of functionality, stick with confirmed lane changes.

As for nose to tail traffic, I'm becoming more confident using that and adding that NoA seems more confident with its lane changes too, I'm happy to use in fairly close traffic. Doesn't always work, as in it indicates then times out, but much better than just a few months ago when we got the car.

... but much better than just a few months ago when we got the car.

We're a few months in too. There have been incremental changes but I can't put any confidence in a view as to how much better. My use case remains that it's a good tool in very light motorway traffic but I find auto lane change to be far too ponderous in moderate to heavy traffic. Fab of course in a jam because there aren't many lane changes needed.

As for different weather conditions, I find it's good in any condition in which it won't refuse to operate. Low vis because of fog a good example. But generally it does refuse in any rain and in lots of cases where there's no rain but (I suspect) condensation inside B-pillar camera housing, or some other reason for failure. For any material improvement it needs to reduce the range of situations in which "blind spot detection limited", unless there's something specifically wrong with my car.

it needs to reduce the range of situations in which "blind spot detection limited", unless there's something specifically wrong with my car.

My S is booked in this month after several blindspot detection errors and condensation in the B pillars. It didn't happen at all last winter but has been regular on frosty days recently. Whenever it happens I pull over (If possible) record the event,weather conditions and temp etc and take pics of B Pillar) Not sure what the solution may be. I'm also monitoring possible condensation in headlights (1 episode so far)

My S is booked in this month after several blindspot detection errors and condensation in the B pillars. It didn't happen at all last winter but has been regular on frosty days recently. Whenever it happens I pull over (If possible) record the event,weather conditions and temp etc and take pics of B Pillar) Not sure what the solution may be. I'm also monitoring possible condensation in headlights (1 episode so far)

It's pretty much a daily occurance with mine. I also have an appointment booked but was unsure whether it's a fault with mine or "they all do that, sir".

It's pretty much a daily occurance with mine. I also have an appointment booked but was unsure whether it's a fault with mine or "they all do that, sir".

I had mentioned it last time I was in for half-shafts and they suggested I needed 3 occurrences recorded. It's more than that of course.
Whether the issue is that they should be sealed or have heaters or wahtever.. without them functioning all the time EAP/FSD is a non-starter. But I bet ya don't get a refund.

I had mentioned it last time I was in for half-shafts and they suggested I needed 3 occurrences recorded. It's more than that of course.
Whether the issue is that they should be sealed or have heaters or wahtever.. without them functioning all the time EAP/FSD is a non-starter. But I bet ya don't get a refund.

Record them how? Just note down time and conditions etc or bug report by voice control? Never done one of those.

Record them how? Just note down time and conditions etc or bug report by voice control? Never done one of those.

I keep a notebook in the car to log stuff. First car I've ever had to do that with. Bug reporting is of value as a help to service chaps trying to find a timebase for checking stuff but seemed pointless for this excecise 'cos I doubt the logs stay that long. I spent 50p on that notebook in Aldi. Don't suppose I can claim a refund for that either....but writing stuff down on he backs of receipts from my wallet got messy. (yeah. I'm cheap)