Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Impressive autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was driving today on autopilot in the right lane and approaching was a car on the ramp.. My Model Y slowed down (not aggressively) so I though it was a phantom braking incident but looked over and noticed the car getting on slightly in front of me had its signal flashing.. Once the car merged in front of me normal acceleration resumed... I am impressed by the action of the autopilot predicting the car merge....These cars on autopilot are amazing...I drove some legacy EV cars and can say Tesla tech is light years ahead.

I've mentioned before that AP saw a young deer on the side of the road at night as it darted in front of my car. AP slammed on the brakes before I saw the deer, saving its life. The deer was less than 10 feet away when I saw it and the minimum stopping distance was 20 feet. Pretty much the exact opposite of the claims made by Clown O'Dowd.

This may haunt me for a while because I was certain the deer was a goner. The car seemed to stop magically fast. The only explanation I have is AP saw the deer well before I did and initiated hard braking.

Overall I have had great experience with autopilot + autosteer beta. A few days ago was the first time it decelerated for a reason unknown to me. I just put my foot on the accel and all was fine.
I looked at my video at home from Tesla cam . there was a large semi ahead of me in the lane to the left which drifted briefly in to my lane a few seconds after AP was accelerating because the person in front of me switched lanes. This explains the deceleration. around