Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Impressive S60 Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just to put up a little thread to say how impressed I am with the range on my S60.

I had to drive from Nottingham to Manchester, with an overnight stay in a hotel. Notionally this is about 85 miles each way. My plan was to overnight charge at a nearby car park (the hotel didn't have facilities).

Anyway, I didn't bother range charging, and left @ 90% showing 155 typical miles. In the end I didn't get a chance to drop my car off, so I had relegated my self to having to use a fast charger on the M1 on my way home. In the end I needn't have worried, I got back having covered 195 miles in total!!

Stats: 194.5 miles, 54.5 kWh, average 280Wh/mi.

As this leaves the battery at much zero, it shows the Typical figure in an S60 is actually achieved by averaging 350Wh/mi actually a pretty easy task!

155 typical miles would represent an 80% charge not 90% when you originally set off.

I'm not sure how you are doing your arithmetic to get to 350Wh/mi but the "typical" range in an S60 will be based on around 290-300Wh/mi.

Since v6.0, a range charge comes in at < 180 !. Last one was 175. Most I've ever seen is 188 and that was pre-firmware change.

In terms of arithmetic. Similar to Bjorn Nylan's take the total kWh used and divide it by "typical range" used. I got back virtually empty (small confession I put 10 buffer in whilst I stopped on the motorway, but returned home with 10 on the clock). So for all intents I used 155 typical miles. 54500wH/155mi = 350wH/mi.

Tesla Model S typical range calculation - YouTube

His loaner 60 was using a HIGHER wH/mi to estimate typical range than his P85. (His figures came out at 330wH/mi for a 60, and 300wH/mi)

The typical line on my car is somewhere around 330-340 when it's obscured by the avg figure in the energy app but definitely not 290-300! It did seem to go up with V6.0!!

What does this mean? Well not all typical miles are equal!

Sorry this just doesn't make any sense. You say you used 54.5kWh of energy on your journey. That's pretty much 100% of an S60 battery (you can't access the full 60kWh just like you can't access the full 85kWh on an 85; there are reserves and anti-bricking protection etc).

And in the UK an S60 should have around 192 rated miles at 100% charge (NB US and UK are not the same ratings, so numbers are not directly comparable).

So if you travelled 194 miles on your 54.5kWh then you pretty much did the rated distance and you pretty much used one full charge to do so, so your Wh/mi will be pretty much rated i.e. high 200's.

If you charged to 90%, only had 155 miles range showing when you did, then somehow extracted 54.5kWh of energy from a 90% charged 60kWh battery then you should definitely talk to TM since your car's range estimations are way off and something screwy is going on (which must be a bug given how young your car is).

Sorry this just doesn't make any sense. You say you used 54.5kWh of energy on your journey. That's pretty much 100% of an S60 battery (you can't access the full 60kWh just like you can't access the full 85kWh on an 85; there are reserves and anti-bricking protection etc).

And in the UK an S60 should have around 192 rated miles at 100% charge (NB US and UK are not the same ratings, so numbers are not directly comparable).

So if you travelled 194 miles on your 54.5kWh then you pretty much did the rated distance and you pretty much used one full charge to do so, so your Wh/mi will be pretty much rated i.e. high 200's.

If you charged to 90%, only had 155 miles range showing when you did, then somehow extracted 54.5kWh of energy from a 90% charged 60kWh battery then you should definitely talk to TM since your car's range estimations are way off and something screwy is going on (which must be a bug given how young your car is).

I know it doesn't make any sense.

Here is my car at 70% = 122 miles. Extrapolating this gives 175@ Range, and 155 at max daily.

The furthest I'd driven the car without an intermediate charge from range was 168 miles, and had 20 miles showing at the end of my journey (this was pre v6.0). This used 53.4kWh, so not sure what the usable is in a 60, and if they have a smaller safety buffer than an 85.

Anyway, I'll have to find the other UK owner of an S60 and see if I'm the only one experiencing the problem :wink: :biggrin:

Attachments

• Charged to 70%.PNG
    Charged to 70%.PNG
    43.5 KB · Views: 353
Last edited:
Weird.

What app is that - it doesn't look like an official Tesla one (and it's using the incorrect "ideal range" terminology just like Visible Tesla does in the UK)? Is it possible it's reporting incorrectly from their API?

If when your car has 70% charge then the range shown on the main instrument cluster display is 122miles then I would simply take a photo of that and raise it with TM because that's clearly totally wrong. It might be that there's a UK-specific S60-specific bug in there that hasn't been spotted yet because there are relatively few S60s around.

It's Trevor Stone's Google plug in, and you are right the terminology is out, but both the car and the android app show the same range and charge level, just with the word "Ideal" substituted for "Typical"

I can highly recommend it, as it's quicker than the phone version to connect to the car, and at work I can check the status straight from my browser without getting the phone out.

I half hope it's a bug:

On the upside, it's better in terms of planning, because achieving the figure is so straightforward. I can look at the remaining, and be nigh on 100% confident of hitting that figure.

On the downside it's worse when showing people that drive the normal German stuff that might consider the car.

As I've only done 3.5k miles since I picked it up in July, and only 2 journeys over 100 miles (none over 200) it's all a bit irrelevant to me (and why I went for the 60 in the first place).