Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Improved Home Charging Station...No More Tripping Over the Cable!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We just got our new TM3 and I setup the home charging station... but I didn't like having to step (& sometimes trip) over the charging cable laying on the floor. So I came up with this rather simple design using a 'swing out' arm that places the plug right next to charging port, yet clears both the garage and entry doors. It works great, keeps the cable out of the way when stowed and while charging, easy to plug in, and best of all, no more tripping over the stupid cable!

Here's my YouTube video:
Let me know what you think. -Charlie P.

We just got our new TM3 and I setup the home charging station... but I didn't like having to step (& sometimes trip) over the charging cable laying on the floor. So I came up with this rather simple design using a 'swing out' arm that places the plug right next to charging port, yet clears both the garage and entry doors. It works great, keeps the cable out of the way when stowed and while charging, easy to plug in, and best of all, no more tripping over the stupid cable!

Here's my YouTube video:
That’s pretty sweet. Great work

Very clever, indeed! I like it!

Tripping over the cable was less of an issue for us, given that we don't walk around that part of the garage unless we are about to drive the Model 3, but I really didn't like having to coil and uncoil the cable at the start or end of every drive. So, I rigged up these hooks designed for cable routing along the wall. They're nice and wide, with smooth edges so as to not damage the cable. Now connecting and disconnecting is a 3-5 second operation, I always have the perfect amount of slack in the cable, and it is stored neatly out of the way when not in use.

D1444190-5E5C-4366-AD66-6E1DBCC3F3E8.jpeg
76E8A1BC-E548-4775-9608-A0616E79E0C0.jpeg
486DF4FA-FD11-4EF7-87FA-BA9D9DA41661.jpeg
F78BC35D-2545-4DC0-B57F-3BCD017E4AF3.jpeg

Reactions: WallyP
Could you give a reference for finding such hook? I try Home Depot for water hose holder without any success.

486df4fa-fd11-4ef7-87fa-ba9d9da41661-jpeg.346308
Yup, here you go. It was actually quite a task tying to find something that would work just the way I wanted them to, but these fit the bill exactly, and are inexpensive, to boot.

You'll need to supply your own screws and will want to go into a stud. I varied the height of the hooks on the wall so I could make that sharp loop upwards at the very end, near where I plug in, which helps balance the weight of the upline cable with the weight of the connector that plugs into the car, if that makes sense.

https://www.anixter.com/en_us/produ...ydy5L4m89or85WD3adfVGALKrtCDGtcwaAsiFEALw_wcB

• Love
Reactions: NeverFollow

Here's my YouTube video:

That's a really nice job Charlie. Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

We just got our new TM3 and I setup the home charging station...
but I didn't like having to step (& sometimes trip) over the charging cable laying on the floor.

So I came up with this rather simple design using a 'swing out' arm that places the plug right next to charging port,
yet clears both the garage and entry doors. It works great, keeps the cable out of the way
when stowed and while charging, easy to plug in, and best of all, no more tripping over the stupid cable!

Here's my YouTube video: Let me know what you think. -Charlie P.

I like the way you hold the Tesla charger above the wall NEMA 14-50 plug:
Tesla Home Charger holder on wall .jpg

In my case, I use a garage in a building. So I am looking for a lockable box (about 20" x 8" or smaller)
where I could keep my charger during the day.
Tesla Portable Charger  - 20 inch 8 inc Box  .jpg

Home Depot sales a GE 30 Amp 240-Volt Fusible Indoor General-Duty Safety Switch,
but the box is too small to hold a charger inside.
ge-electrical-disconnects-tg3221cp-64_1000.jpg ge-electrical-disconnects-tg3221cp-4f_1000.jpg

I just wonder if anyone could help me finding a box where I could store my charger?

Last edited:
Geez! That's a really clean installation and a bunch of work. Pretty cool. I'm guessing I could probably eat off your garage floor too ! I don't want to spoil your great post except to say I have a much better totally automated solution... it's called a "wife" :cool:

Yup, here you go. It was actually quite a task tying to find something that would work just the way I wanted them to, but these fit the bill exactly, and are inexpensive, to boot.

You'll need to supply your own screws and will want to go into a stud. I varied the height of the hooks on the wall so I could make that sharp loop upwards at the very end, near where I plug in, which helps balance the weight of the upline cable with the weight of the connector that plugs into the car, if that makes sense.

https://www.anixter.com/en_us/products/JP2W-L20/PANDUIT/J-Hooks/p/324720?utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=SHOPPING|Feat+Prod&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=sChSZbDet_dm~108445473150~~&gclid=Cj0KCQjwsMDeBRDMARIsAKrOP7Gp9IQ-05fcrCy9XN8Scwoydy5L4m89or85WD3adfVGALKrtCDGtcwaAsiFEALw_wcB

Thank you for the web link description.

Note: In case the page get updated, I saved the following information:

Anixter
https://www.anixter.com/en_us.html

Home > Products > Hardware and Supplies > Cable Management > J-Hooks
https://www.anixter.com/en_us/products/Cable-Management/J-Hooks/c/LJ

MFR PART # JP2W-L20
https://www.anixter.com/en_us/products/JP2W-L20/PANDUIT/J-Hooks/p/324720