Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

In cabin IR camera retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With Tesla doing away with the wheel nag using the in cabin camera
I wonder if older Teslas can retrofit the newer in cabin camera that has the IR emitters.
According to the service manual it seems like a simple swap
That is if the connections are all the same🤔
Would be worth while to swap for no wheel nag.
Any thoughts on this
1000004556.jpg

1000004557.jpg
1000004558.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod and KenC
Not a Tesla App says:

Vehicles that do not have IR lights in the cabin will also not be able to take advantage of VBAM at night – as the cameras in vehicles without IR lights are unable to see at night. Tesla does offer a refit for vehicles to upgrade to IR-capable cameras – put in a service ticket if you’re interested through the Service Menu on the app.

I’ve never heard of a retrofit. Pretty sure IR came with hw4. The guide for “first gen” shows the two different camera modules.
The Housing assembly (upper camera cover) appears to be different. Though, the service manual says the Model 3 comes with two different cameras. I'll bet that it's taking into consideration that the newer camera is in the Highland, not the OG Model 3. I assume the 'retrofit' is for Model Y owners, not M3.

Yeah. I was looking into it quite extensively as well.

There was a user who reported that his Model 3 interior camera view was a little different than his OG Model Y camera. He said he didn't get any warnings at night using FSD in his 3, yet received numerous alerts in his Y before he did the IR upgrade.

I'm going to open up my assembly later on my 22 M3P today to confirm.

Reactions: davidalindsey