Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

In California. If I have Tesla Insurance and I buy a new Tesla, do I have 10 days to switch it to the new car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I may take delivery of a new tesla (upgrading from my old one) this weekend. It's labor day weekend though so tesla insurance is closed. The dealer says I have 10 days to transfer it and that my old Tesla Insurance for my new car. Is that true? I dont want to risk driving without insurance if I take delivery of my new tesla but tesla insurance doesnt work this way.

Insurance is closed? That's surprising. Are you trading it into Tesla or keeping or selling otherwise?

Generally, I didn't think that they would let you pick up a car unless you could prove proof of insurance on that specific car.

I may take delivery of a new tesla (upgrading from my old one) this weekend. It's labor day weekend though so tesla insurance is closed. The dealer says I have 10 days to transfer it and that my old Tesla Insurance for my new car. Is that true? I dont want to risk driving without insurance if I take delivery of my new tesla but tesla insurance doesnt work this way.

In California your existing insurance card for your old car is all you need to take possession of the new car. I do not have Tesla Insurance so can't confirm that 10-day requirement, but I can tell you that my insurance agent assured me that I could relax, that I wouldn't be driving without insurance, and that they would automatically cover a new car under an old policy as long as I called them within a month.

California insurance regulations are study in good intentions gone awry, but in the end have this good result allowing you to use your old insurance card to pick up the new car, while in some other states you must show proof of insurance that specifically names the new car. That's why the situation for @dakhlkt22 in New York [see previous post] was different.

Last edited: