Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

In wall 14-50--will Tesla Wall charger cover outlet box

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I installed an in wall NEMA 14-50 in a 2 gang electrical box in 2015. Purchased a new Tesla and was looking to purchase their Wall Charger.

Question is if I place the Tesla Wall Charger directly over the old 2 gang box, will the Tesla Wall Charger completely cover my electrical box?

Close but probably not as you need to get the wires from the box into the connector though one of the two holes near the bottom.

BTW, when you install it be sure to replace the 50 amp GFIC breaker with a standard 50 amp breaker.

Doesn't the Gen 3 backplate still have one or two rear-entry knockouts? If they are removing the 2-gang cover and the 14-50 receptacle, and mount the TWC backplate knockout over the 2-gang opening, it might be able to properly cover the hole? They would need to make sure the backplate mounting holes are aligned with a stud or other support though - but often a 2-gang is attached or adjacent to a stud so might all be able to be lined up.

Reactions: Rocky_H
  • Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H
wwu123, this was exactly what I was hoping for. Can't believe someone hasn't done this already.
I think at worst, you screw the silver metal 2-gang cover with the round hole back on, as it's fairly flush to the drywall, and align the rear knockout with the hole, so if anything is showing, it's a bit of corner of the silver cover, not the drywall opening itself.

I toyed with the idea of installing a NEMA 14-50 on my garage wall first, and replacing with TWC later, just like you, so I've thought about it, but found a secondhand TWC before I had a chance to do the 14-50. Good luck with it!

Look at post # 3 here

Thanks, that will help tremendously!