Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Increased range after long trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

In early November, I purchased a 2015 85D with ~29,000 miles. When I purchased the car, 90% charge showed 239 miles. After driving the car from Oregon to CA and in the past month, 90% now shows 265 miles.

Any idea how I gained additional mileage? I did charge to 100% once during the trip and usually supercharge to 80-90% on a weekly basis, could this have reconditioned the battery to recover additional mileage?

Kelly

just make sure rated range is being displayed instead of ideal range.
if so, sounds like you balanced the battery by deep discharges and full charges (often at 400v on a supercharger) during your road trip.

If you don’t charge to 100% very often and don’t run below 10% very often the car gets a little lost when estimating battery charge as it does not know where the limits are. Some full charges and full run downs help the car find the limits again.

The best analogy I have read is it is like scuba diving in muddy water. If you are traveling back and forth from bottom to the top all the time, you will have good idea how close you are to the surface at any given time. However if you spend a prolonged time swimming in the middle of the depth, never reaching the surface or bottom, evently you lose a sense of reference to how deep you are. You might be 5’ from the surface with no idea you are that near the top.

• Funny
Reactions: gaswalla