Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Increased range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I plugged in last night like normal and I've been getting 240 miles at 90%, this morning I woke up went to the car unplugged it got in and it showed 313 miles of range. I double checked the charging limit and it was set to 90%, even when I charged it to 100% I only got 270 miles nice surprise for sure just wonder if this is the new norm. I have a 2016 90d

Yes it was definitely on the ideal setting. I was messing with the settings and did change it.

I guess I don't understand the point of the ideal setting, if you can't get 300 miles driving in ideal conditions why would it show that?

Pretty sure you can get that by driving about fifty miles per hour with HVAC off in decent weather.

If I remember right, it came about from the difference between the 300 mile range Tesla had promised for the S85 and the 265 mile range it got EPA rated for - which I think mostly happened because the EPA rules for rating EVs changed while the car was under development.

Yep, I think the old EPA procedure was called the 3-cycle test, and was way more optimistic. During the time period of about 2008 to 2012, the EPA was developing and evaluating the new 5-cycle test, which was tougher and made all cars across the board show lower fuel mileage numbers, but was considered to be more realistic. So Tesla during development of the Model S had been talking about range ratings, but they were under the old 3 cycle test. By the time it was coming out in 2012, things were being changed over, so they needed to show why they were different somehow. So naming them "rated" and "ideal" showed why one now matched the new EPA rating system and why the other seemed a little too idealistic.
EPA Overhauls Fuel Economy Estimates for 2008 | Edmunds

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA