Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S75D batteri swap - upgrade to 90?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys!

Im located in Norway and have a late 2018 model S75D that «died» this week. The main battery is being replaced on warranty. The car has gone 64000km with not much supercharging, so I still had full charging speed on the old battery.

Now they are telling me that they will install a refurbished 90-pack that will be software limited to 75kw. I will get the option to upgrade to 90kw for around 2-2500USD - will get the exact price later today.

Can you help me with some considerations about this? First of all I have understood that there are ”old” 400V 90-packs and “new” 350V-packs that are better, so I hope it is the new version. For me it would be nice with extra range over the 75-range I am used to, especially during winter. But still I manage well with the 75 in daily use so its not critical. I guess the car will be more easily sold as 90D. But be going for a software restricted pack til 75kw, might that work out so that I can charge the car more often to 100% and still not wear down the pack? If so that that might be the best option for no extra money.

Also - will the supercharging speed and acceleration differ between a sw-restricted pack or a 90-upgrade?

Best regards,

Magne

The decision is completely up to you and it seems that only can assess if upgrading to unlock the capacity is worthwhile. You'll still benefit greatly from the much faster Supercharging sessions (should charge in about half the time compared to your old pack), but you say you don't Supercharge too much. If you don't need the extra range then it seems like the software limited "75" should be just fine for you.

For my own convenience, I would take the 90kWh upgrade at $2,700USD in a heartbeat, but I'm stuck with an old S85 that takes about 30 minutes at a V2/V3 Supercharger to gain 100 rated range miles. As a result of the nerfed Supercharging sessions, I arrive with a SOC% of 10 +/-2 and typically leave after 25-40 minutes and repeat to the next Supercharger. I also keep my destinations to less than 500 miles.

I have a 2012 P85. For my driving I don't need the extra 15-20 miles range. Further, I like the feeling that I have a built in top buffer. Having a top buffer is similar to my Prius Prime with an 8.8 kWh Lithium Ion HV battery - when charge meter says 100%, State of charge is actually around 84%.

Here's my post on the subject and decision I made. Uncork 90 kWh HV Battery ($750) ?

Now you have a 75 while I have an 85. So you make want to pay to uncork to say 85.

The decision is completely up to you and it seems that only can assess if upgrading to unlock the capacity is worthwhile. You'll still benefit greatly from the much faster Supercharging sessions (should charge in about half the time compared to your old pack), but you say you don't Supercharge too much. If you don't need the extra range then it seems like the software limited "75" should be just fine for you.

For my own convenience, I would take the 90kWh upgrade at $2,700USD in a heartbeat, but I'm stuck with an old S85 that takes about 30 minutes at a V2/V3 Supercharger to gain 100 rated range miles. As a result of the nerfed Supercharging sessions, I arrive with a SOC% of 10 +/-2 and typically leave after 25-40 minutes and repeat to the next Supercharger. I also keep my destinations to less than 500 miles.
You make some good points. About the supercharger speeds, are you sure these will improve compared to a 75D? I just supercharged on a trip this Christmas and topped out at 122KW, so it’s not like the older 85-packs. Or is it the general charging curve that will improve?

You make some good points. About the supercharger speeds, are you sure these will improve compared to a 75D? I just supercharged on a trip this Christmas and topped out at 122KW, so it’s not like the older 85-packs. Or is it the general charging curve that will improve?

My understanding is that the 350V "85" kWh packs charge like the current 100kWh packs but with two fewer modules. While the peak rate might not be twice as high, the overall charge session can be half the time when going from SOC% 20-80. As I alluded to earlier, our nerfed S85 has changed my Supercharging behavior to arrive and leave with a lower SOC to save time; otherwise I'd be there for an hour plus trying to get above 85%.

Tesla might allow you to drive off with the battery capped at 75kWh with the option to unlock it later. The Supercharging rate should be the same whether you cap or unlock it. It's an easy decision for me, but if you're like NV Ray and don't really need the extra range then perhaps saving $2,700 is more appealing. For me, I recall two instances where I wish I had more range because I didn't have the patience to stop for another Supercharging session.

Hi mtveiten, I just wanted to add: if you have any more information about how your pack failed (water ingress, other) it would be very interesting to hear more.

I have personally not heard many stories of 2016 and later packs (or at least 2018 model year) failing so this could give us a glimpse into the future of packs failing. I also have a 75D and am very curious to hear more personally. Of course we will most likely hear more about them failing as they come out of warranty and have more calendar aging.

Also if you get a chance please post the part number and sticker on your new/refurbished battery pack once you get it, it will be interesting to see the year of manufacture and how many times it has been remanufactured (most likely 1).

Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: maximizese
Hi mtveiten, I just wanted to add: if you have any more information about how your pack failed (water ingress, other) it would be very interesting to hear more.

I have personally not heard many stories of 2016 and later packs (or at least 2018 model year) failing so this could give us a glimpse into the future of packs failing. I also have a 75D and am very curious to hear more personally. Of course we will most likely hear more about them failing as they come out of warranty and have more calendar aging.

Also if you get a chance please post the part number and sticker on your new/refurbished battery pack once you get it, it will be interesting to see the year of manufacture and how many times it has been remanufactured (most likely 1).

Thanks for sharing!
Hi,

According to Tesla the battery has to be replaced due to “internal isolation”. I have not gotten more detail than that. I will post some more info when I receive the car with the new battery 👍

Reactions: Raroia
Hi,

According to Tesla the battery has to be replaced due to “internal isolation”. I have not gotten more detail than that. I will post some more info when I receive the car with the new battery 👍
In my personal experience and in talking with hundreds of other folks, Tesla rarely states what's specifically wrong with the failed pack. Could be one loose wire to bad module to failed circuit board(s) and everything in-between.

In Tesla Service Center's defense, their in house diagnostic tools likely can't pinpoint the exact issue. Even if they were to pinpoint, the TSC is only staffed to remove/replace. Less than two hours labor vs a day or two if they were to remove/open/repair/reinstall.

Failed packs are simply returned to Lathrop, CA for reman or recycle.

In my personal experience and in talking with hundreds of other folks, Tesla rarely states what's specifically wrong with the failed pack. Could be one loose wire to bad module to failed circuit board(s) and everything in-between.

In Tesla Service Center's defense, their in house diagnostic tools likely can't pinpoint the exact issue. Even if they were to pinpoint, the TSC is only staffed to remove/replace. Less than two hours labor vs a day or two if they were to remove/open/repair/reinstall.

Failed packs are simply returned to Lathrop, CA for reman or recycle.
Sounds right. I saw a video of a third party battery swap, and the process was surprisingly simple when just swapping.

Reactions: Raroia and NV Ray

Thanks for sharing!
Picked up the car. Here’s the label of the new battery pack. After preheating I left the service center with 97% charge, the range then showed 397km/246mi (typical). We have cold winter weather right now, but I guess the typical range estimate is not affected by the weather at the moment? Also, as I chose to keep the battery software locked the range should reflect a 75kw-pack (don’t know exactly where they put the software-cap).

Can someone help decode the label on the pack? Does it say how many times it is remanufactured?

Edit: After some searching it seems that this could actually be a brand new battery manufactured in 2023, am I right? Might have been lucky.

Attachments

• IMG_3601.jpeg
    IMG_3601.jpeg
    384 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_3606.jpeg
    IMG_3606.jpeg
    436.7 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Reactions: Raroia
This is a fantastic outcome for your car... many years of driving pleasure ahead of you! Thanks for sharing.

I wonder if the decision to go with a new pack under warranty is only due to lack of availability of reman in a timely manner.

Picked up the car. Here’s the label of the new battery pack. After preheating I left the service center with 97% charge, the range then showed 397km/246mi (typical). We have cold winter weather right now, but I guess the typical range estimate is not affected by the weather at the moment? Also, as I chose to keep the battery software locked the range should reflect a 75kw-pack (don’t know exactly where they put the software-cap).

Can someone help decode the label on the pack? Does it say how many times it is remanufactured?

Edit: After some searching it seems that this could actually be a brand new battery manufactured in 2023, am I right? Might have been lucky.
yes it is a brand new pack made in 2023 as you mention.